Anyone else on Fosamax? (Read 789 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I was diagnosed with osteopenia last April and went on Fosamax. I hate taking drugs of any kind and would like to be able to get off of this, especially with some of the reports linking it to heart trouble and with the way it messes with my digestive system every week. Are there other good alternatives? Is running and strength training enough? I've changed my diet to only have an occasional cola and increase my calcium intake through food. I have a hard time taking calcium supplements. Just wondering if anyone has ideas. I have an appointment with my doc tomorrow and plan to talk about this.

SMART Approach

When looking at pure science and controlling bone loss, no other drug can beat Fosamax. Sure weight bearing and activity and nutrition are important but these things are even more important in teens and young adult when reach Peak Bone Mass. I would listen to your doc on this. The side effects of Fosamax are not bad at all.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Thanks. It will be interesting to see what my next test numbers look like.
        areesemd

You might want to have vitamin D levels checked.
          jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Hmm. Never thought of that. Don't we get enough vit d from being outside?
              I was on Boniva for awhile and then Forteo injections for osteopenia (and the improper healing of a fracture from a skiing fall). I did not like what I was reading about the Fosamax/Boniva class of drugs and I made a decision not to take them anymore. I have tried to up my calcium and Vit D, but I agree that a lot of it is genetic. I am 55, and I am going to put off taking anything for a few more years. Maybe something safer will be developed. I was shocked when I got the osteopenia diagnosis a few years ago. EXCUSE ME- the great runner having bone density issues?????? Just goes to show......

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I'm paying for the sins of my youth - never have been able to take calcium supplements and always hated milk. Drank way too much soda. Didn't start exercising until I was 49 (I think it was my mid-life crisis!). Now I count calcium in food on an almost daily basis to make sure I get the 1500 mg. Most weeks I'll lift weights 2-3 x for an hour. And I've become addicted to running even tho I'm new at it and very slow. Doc said to retest in October (that will be 18 months) and if the numbers look better, she may take me off of it since I've been exercising regularly.
                areesemd

Depends on where you live. In Upstate NY, we don't. Also, some studies suggest that the increase in sunscreen use is causing a decrease in vitamin D levels.

SMART Approach

I was on Boniva for awhile and then Forteo injections for osteopenia (and the improper healing of a fracture from a skiing fall). I did not like what I was reading about the Fosamax/Boniva class of drugs and I made a decision not to take them anymore. I have tried to up my calcium and Vit D, but I agree that a lot of it is genetic. I am 55, and I am going to put off taking anything for a few more years. Maybe something safer will be developed. I was shocked when I got the osteopenia diagnosis a few years ago. EXCUSE ME- the great runner having bone density issues?????? Just goes to show......
                    Something to keep in mind for future. Most people have an osteoporotic fracture before they are diagnosed with osteoporosis. Listen to your physician. Osteoporosis and fractures associated with can be life changing. If there is a drug like Fosamax that can make a difference, it should be considered. Boniva's data doesn't match Fosamax's and Forteo injections are not ideal for an osteopenic in my opinion.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Most of us do not. I agree, get your vitamin D level checked. Make sure it is not in the normal range, but in the high normal range. Ask your doc for an alternative to Fosfamax that you can take monthly, Boniva, instead of weekly. Tums are an excellent and tasty source of calcium.
                      jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Unfortunately, doc ordered no bloodwork this year - she said I was healthy so only need it every other year. I decided I can put up with the Fosamax until I get the bone density again in October. As for Tums - no way. Tums, and every other calcium supplement I've tried, make me feel like I'm going to throw up. I'm still getting between 1200 and 1500 mg of Calcium per day from my OJ, soy milk, soy yogurt, greens, cheese (occasionally). And if I ever remembered to take my multi, that has some calcium in it, too. In the meantime, I'm starting my search for a new doc.
                        Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Most of us do not. I agree, get your vitamin D level checked. Make sure it is not in the normal range, but in the high normal range. Ask your doc for an alternative to Fosfamax that you can take monthly, Boniva, instead of weekly. Tums are an excellent and tasty source of calcium.
                          As soon as I saw the question, I immediately asked "where is Trent?" Lo and behold, he was on it!

TRUST THE PROCESS

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Tums, and every other calcium supplement I've tried, make me feel like I'm going to throw up.
                            Have you tried the calcium chocolates? Bloodwork every other year, but you did not get the Vitamin D level. You can probably go in and get that done without an appointment, just call and ask for it. And get a new doc.
                            As soon as I saw the question, I immediately asked "where is Trent?" Lo and behold, he was on it!
                            Heh. Yesterday was busy.
                            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I've tried the calcium chocolate. As much as I love chocolate, I still couldn't handle these. I may have my chiro order the Vit D test. Doc doesn't do any bloodwork in her office (always get sent to some outside lab) - another thing I find very annoying.
                              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey