Do I need a plan? (Read 1368 times)

SMART Approach

Andreia, I will be down your way in Austin next weekend for a golf trip and am doing the 5K Bun Run on Sunday. Hope it's not too hot down there this time of year. Coming from Green Bay where I can still see a bit of snow on the ground, anything will feel warm.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Andreia, I will be down your way in Austin next weekend for a golf trip and am doing the 5K Bun Run on Sunday. Hope it's not too hot down there this time of year. Coming from Green Bay where I can still see a bit of snow on the ground, anything will feel warm.
      Hey, Tchuck - my running partner, high school friend, and I will all be doing the Bun Run, too! I'm in the same boat - used to running in temps from 30 to 45 degrees. Our backyard is still covered by at least a foot of snow. Forecast low for Austin next Sunday is 62 degrees. Shocked That's why I've been running on the treadmill some - to get used to warm temps. Good luck! I will be one of the back-of-the-packers (31 or 32 minutes). Teresa

Double IPA Please!

This post answers some of my own questions as well..thanks for posting this and good luck next weekend!! Big grin

Interested in looking good and feeling great? Check out my website at www.marykay.com/dyerger

Shipping is always free with me!! :-)

It's 87 today in Austin in case you were wonderin... Evil grin
          Teresadfp

One day at a time

It's 87 today in Austin in case you were wonderin... Evil grin
            Eek! Thanks a lot. Surprised

SMART Approach

I do think it is suppose to cooldown just a bit starting Friday. We can suck it up for 3 miles. Smile

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I do think it is suppose to cooldown just a bit starting Friday. We can suck it up for 3 miles. Smile
                That's true! If I can run in 8-degree, windy conditions, I can handle a little heat - I hope.

Non ducor, duco.

Andreia, I will be down your way in Austin next weekend for a golf trip and am doing the 5K Bun Run on Sunday.
                  Have you been to Austin before? I wish I lived closer Cry I love that town. It is likely to be hot for you but just take your shirt off and enjoy the sun!

SMART Approach

Have you been to Austin before? I wish I lived closer Cry I love that town. It is likely to be hot for you but just take your shirt off and enjoy the sun!
                    Yes, I have gone every year to Austin for the last 10-12 years. A fellow who I personal trained for 10 years (who is now a friend) has a home in Austin and in Green Bay. My buddies and I go down to golf each year and have a great place to stay. We also all run so it works out great. Austin is great! Fun Fun!! Weather will be sunny and low in 50s and high of 80 throughout weekend. Awesome! How did you know I like to take my shirt off??? Wink

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Tchuck, did you see that the Bun Run course map is online now? It starts at the river, goes down Congress, around the Capitol, and then back on Colorado. One hill, but Marcus says it's not too bad. We'll be running close to one building that I worked in during college, and another that I helped design. I can't wait! Have you been to the Oasis? It's a restaurant on a cliff that overlooks Lake Travis. It's a tradition to go there to watch the sunset. It sounds like you've spent more time in Austin than I have the last few years, so you probably already know about it. I hope you have a good trip! Teresa

SMART Approach

Teresa, Cool you get to run by a building you worked in and designed. I will check out the course. Our tradition is generally to go to te Oasis and view sunset and we usually go to Texas Chili Parlor downtown.

My husband doesn't get why I love going to the Texas CHili Parlor. We used to have some great times there back when I went to St. Ed's. Then we'd go to the Mother Earth or Armadillo (but I doubt any of you are old enough to remember that!)
                          Teresadfp

One day at a time

My husband doesn't get why I love going to the Texas CHili Parlor. We used to have some great times there back when I went to St. Ed's. Then we'd go to the Mother Earth or Armadillo (but I doubt any of you are old enough to remember that!)
                            I remember the Armadillo and Mother Earth, but I was too young to go. I did take DH to the Chili Parlor when we were dating. I wanted to impress the boy from Wisconsin by ordering the hot chili (I don't remember how many alarms). Oh, my gosh, I about died! He still reminds me of that. Good luck in the race, Tchuck! Do you have a goal time in mind? 31 minutes is mine. Grr, I want to get faster quicker!! Time to go to the airport now.
                              Hi Andreia, I'm a bit late joining the discussion. You have already got some good advice from the experts; perhaps you won't mind me adding something based on personal experience? You seem to be building a good base of miles, but your log shows no runs longer than 12 kms. I would suggest gradually stretching out your long runs till you have done 8-10 runs of 20-25kms before you run the half marathon. I found this helped me to run strongly to the end of the race, and gave me confidence in my time goal. My long runs are often half my weekly miles, I am sure this is not a good thing, but I have time to run on the weekend, little time in the week. Weather sounds great in Texas, I can see my lawn now, but its not green yet! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Non ducor, duco.

THanks Simon. I agree that I need to stretch out the long run. I have been wanting to build my base to 35 miles a week and then start stretching it out slowly. I also will be adding another sorta long day midweek this week. If you wanna mow, come on down to my yard. Its full-fledged mowing season already and my DS is already complaining.