WANTED: Encouragement (Read 900 times)

Well, after a hectic (job, family, interstate move, etc.) 9 months or so, I need to get off my lazy ass and start running again.....I mean really running again, not this slacker thing I have been doing. I have planned every week worth of runs from now through October and have two HMs in there as my goal. Any encouraging words or advice to keep me on track? I do know that when I register for a race that seems to mentally lock me into prep mode........any other advice?

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Make your running log viewable so we can trash you if you don't post some consistent running. Buy some überexpensive gear so you have to justify it by running often. Post whenever you want abuse. Most of all, make it fun! Run easy.
        I have an addiction to statistical data, so buying a gps watch and logging my run every day is half my motivation.
        2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
          Make your running log viewable so we can trash you if you don't post some consistent running......
          AHHHHH.....PEER PRESSURE! Excellent idea!!! I log my runs with SportTracks on my computer, so I don't feel the need to do an online log. I will log my runs here, too.............let the abuse begin!

Certifiably Insane

Print out the entries for your HM's, and attach them to your fridge, bathroom mirror, or anywhere else that you'll see every day. Write up a list of the goal steps you want to hit on the way (miles per week progression, interval times, long run distance, etc.) and put it right beside the entries. I write my goal time with a highlighter on the entry so it stands out. I do those so my goal is always right in front of my face, and I have less chance of slacking off. Good luck to you, man! We're all pulling for you! Smile
            On the road since 1978! "To be good is not enough when you dream of being great." I am not obsessed! I'm just INTENSE! "Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool." Why? Because race results stay on Google forever! (Reasonably recent) PR's: 5K - 16:40 10K - 35:04 HM - 1:18:30
              Look at all those lousy zeros in your running log! Fix that! Evil grin
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you run more you can drink more beer without the beer belly. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I have planned every week worth of runs from now through October and have two HMs in there as my goal.
                  That's my major motivation, a circled date on the calendar and the daily mileage to get there. I consider the mileage a minimum, and try to add a REALLY EASY lap or two around the block as often as possible. My most frequently used course is about seven and a half miles, most of my runs logged on it are longer than that. That extra half mile or mile (or two) at the end of a run really adds up over the course of a year. Join a pace group. Figure out what is a realistic (or better yet stretch) goal and chase that pace bunny. Read the Look What I Can Do forum and the reports in the Racing forum. Yesterday I found a great thread* that turned an eight miler into 13.1. The mental aspect of running is often overlooked, motivation can be half the battle. Find what works for you, then share it here Sean. Best of luck to you. *MTA: a great and apparently overlooked thread, why not drop by and give Peggy an attagirl? Two replies seems pretty weak to me.

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

If you run more you can drink more beer without the beer belly. Big grin
                    That's very wise advice. For every mile I run, that's a beer. When I'm training for a marathon those 20 mile runs make for fun days.

Old, Slow, Happy

AHHHHH.....PEER PRESSURE! Excellent idea!!! I log my runs with SportTracks on my computer, so I don't feel the need to do an online log. I will log my runs here, too.............let the abuse begin!
                      0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0,0 Get moving and get the zero's outta there. You Zero!!!!!!! Big grin
                      RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

I refuse to acknowledge you exist until you at least have one mile in your training log. hmm did I acknowledge he existed just by writing this post. Anyway, get moving slacker. With your current log full of non-data you won't be able to get to the fridge to get a beer much less a half marathon. Wink
                          2011 Goals:
                          Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                          Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                          OK, now we're talking! Thanks for the pushes everyone! I appreciate it. Logged my first run on RA. I am going to register for my first race and post it with my training calendar on my beer fridge. With the frequency I visit that fridge maybe it will guilt me into drinking less and running more........double bonus!Big grin Cheers everyone! Sean

jeffdonahue

Well, after a hectic (job, family, interstate move, etc.) 9 months or so, I need to get off my lazy ass and start running again.....I mean really running again, not this slacker thing I have been doing. I have planned every week worth of runs from now through October and have two HMs in there as my goal. Any encouraging words or advice to keep me on track? I do know that when I register for a race that seems to mentally lock me into prep mode........any other advice?
                            If you havent signed up for the races yet - DO IT NOW!!! I find that if I have alrady paid for teh race, I train harder because I know it is wasted money otherwise. Plus, I will definitely run it if I paid for it and if I dont do the training, the pain of the race (and afterward) is just a reminder of what I should have done.
                              OK, now we're talking! Thanks for the pushes everyone! I appreciate it. Logged my first run on RA. I am going to register for my first race and post it with my training calendar on my beer fridge. With the frequency I visit that fridge maybe it will guilt me into drinking less and running more........double bonus!Big grin
                              Something that I do is that I tell my family and friends that I'm going to run in such and such race on such and such day..............Its not long before people start asking me how my training is going..and I have to have a good answer.. AND - you KNOW someone is going to ask you about the race and you just cant say you got lazy - didn't train - so you didn't run.........The more people that know about my runs, the better because you have to do it and you have to do it well.... This works pretty well for me...Big grinWink

Champions are made when no one is watching

Finally, I found someone who's running log doesn't depress me. Smile The first rule of keeping up the training: Tell everyone you know that you are training.