What's more important...heart rate or pace? (Read 1541 times)

For me a heart rate monitor has really helped slow me down to where I feel like I could run forever. I'm an all or nothing type person and being a little out of breath (with a HR of 180 seemed normal to me.) I kept getting nagging little injuries because I didn't know what REALLY slow felt like. When I started with the HRM I found a huge difference in millage, injuries and how I listen to my body. My pace has begun to improve and I now use my HRM more for a stop watch and warm up monitor (very important!). I think the most important thing in my training is keeping free from injuries, so I can run faster when I race.
      I guess I should have stated when I started this thread that I wasn't talking about myself specifically. A lot of you that have chimed in are not what I would call beginning runners. I wasn't here trying to advocate one versus another but I think many of you have missed the point. BEGINNERS LOVE PACE. Find someone that's been running 3 months and you've found someone that can almost certainly tell you what the pace was for their last run. Even if they haven't extracted the number, they know how long it took them to run a certain distance. In probably 85% of those runs they ran too fast. No matter what the pace actually was or how the runner thinks he/she felt, it was probably too fast.
      Hmmm, maybe where you live or online groups that's true about beginners being pace conscious. But where I live and the online group I started with (usenet), time and breathing is far more common. I know in my earliest days (dating back to late 70s, before I started doing structured running 7+ yr ago), I just ran for stress relief - around the athletic field complex before class some days or up to the high school driveway (and end of street lights, maybe 20 min rt; did 45 min around the big block, maybe once a year) after I was working up here. Why would pace or HR matter. I just ran to get the blood circulating so I could stay awake in my 8am class. I'd never even heard of logs and couldn't imagine why someone would keep a log when I first started reading stuff online in winter 2001. I know a friend of mine that was/is also a beginner (truly someone who runs occasionally, but isn't a runner) just runs occasionally. Never any worries about pace. But she does want to get to her favorite play areas on the trails. When I first started structured running, I was aware of a few races - a couple mtn races up here, Boston marathon (and maybe a couple others), Olympics, state fair parade day race (since it blocked access to the post office) - and that was about it. It's only been since I've been online that I've become aware of all these other things. I know where I am very few people are in online running groups - probably less than 10%, if that. Granted, the experienced runners talk about how many hours to run certain trails or how many minutes to run a certain mountain (in a way, it's pace, without knowing the distance, since the amount of vertical is at least as important). But where I am, most people run hilly trails, so pace doesn't mean a whole lot other than maybe time between landmarks. My hypothesis is that with the commonness of gps units or mapping pgms and online training pgms based on pace and weekly mileage games, beginners are becoming more obsessed with pace and mileage. Something that didn't used to occur. Or at least not that I'm aware of. Some of the ones that have been around longer than myself and running recreationally, not on track teams, might have more knowledge. (I left out xc teams since I'm not sure how they train. Local hs seem to be paced by coach or just run - at least when I see them on the same trails I'm using. When I've asked them about training, they usually talk about where they run, not distance or pace.) Indeed, it's much harder to find training pgms based on time and effort. I feel fortunate that I managed to find one of those when I first started structured training (7+ yr ago), although I wasn't obsessed with it. Lydiard is also based on time and effort, although the effort is more subjective, as it should be. I haven't seen Parker's book on HR training, but Burke's book's part on running was basically what I had from Benson's program that I used. Joe Friel's book (Total Heart Rate Training) is the only book I've actually seen with a complete training approach.
      In my opinion, if you've been running for more than 2 or 3 years or have been coached at some point in your life then you don't need to worry about it. However, if you're just starting out and you're obsessing about your pace then I still contend that if you WANT to look at a data point then look at HR. If you don't want to look at a data point and just want to complete a distance or run for a certain number of minutes then you are more mature than the average beginner and I commend you.
      I do agree with you that relative HR is more useful than pace - at least in hilly areas - and if someone is going to obsess with numbers rather than feel from the start, that's a more useful approach (in MY mind) - but unless someone has taken the time to figure out their max HR or LT HR or VO2max HR or whatever, those data can be misleading. That's why I suggest to beginning runners to run by time and effort (breathing). It's the most natural way to run - well, other than running between places like the ancient runners did in Greece, Copper Canyon in Mexico, southwest US, etc. Just running so you can talk is such a liberating feeling and relaxing. It's such an easy way to run - just go out the door for 10 min and back (or whatever works) - rather than needing a whole pgm and gadgets - which didn't exist that many years ago. Believe it or not, there's a lot of runners or people who run who aren't in online groups to even be introduced to these concepts. But if being in online groups and weekly miles games and getting gadgets (garmins, hrms, mp3s, whatever) and whatever is what gets people motivated to get out the door to meet their goals, then by all means, have at it. I would definitely encourage that. (I'm just saying that some things that are perceived as "natural" online, may not be "natural" to other runners.)
      "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        One of the best ways of learning something is by experience. If you make the mistake of running too fast and pay the price for it, you will remember how that feels. If you start slow, finish strong, and have a great run, you will remember that too. If you run a lot of runs at paces in between, you will remember how those feel. How can a beginner learn to run by feel if they don't make mistakes and learn how those mistakes feel?
        Amen to this!! I've been left gasping on hillsides when I believed my HRM rather than going by feel. I soon learned to back off a few bpms earlier, but I also learned to recognize the symptoms approaching LT - and backed off then. Having more than one gear that I have now that I didn't have then also helps.Wink The body responds to stress/recover. Yes, it's hard when you first start to understand what level of stress and what level of recovery works. I can still remember some of those struggles and my on-line mentor making a comment about how hard it is for a beginner to differentiate between a good stress and onset of injury. BUT the only person that could teach that to me was me. A hrm couldn't teach it. A pace meter couldn't teach it. And some canned program designed for general public in temperate climate certainly wasn't going to be useful for older female (mid-50s at the time) running mostly in Alaska winter - on snow, even when I ran roads. And I'm STILL learning. My body adapts a little more each year. A couple weeks ago I went back and tried something from 5 yr ago that didn't work well then and may have contributed to injury. THIS time round, it produced some wonderful results - in moderation. But I had to have spent the time learning that - and the earlier one starts to learn that the better, IMHO.
        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
          So what would he say? He would tell you to "go by how you feel." Would beginning runners like to hear that? Absolutely NOT!
          Nobby, do you think that's true away from the internet also or just in recent years or ...? Most of the runners I know up here are trail and/or ultra folks, and I do recognize that Alaskans tend to be independent and not want to be told anything, esp. by a gadget. But what I see online isn't what I see in real life. Just curious about your perspective. Obviously gadgets didn't always exist - and Phedipides seemed to do just fine until he tried a marathon after a double Spartathlon. Native peoples seem to run just fine. And Lydiard in more recent times.Wink
            I also work for a company that's a bit fitness obsessed. We had over 30 people run a marathon last year in a company with fewer than 140 employees and we're a tech/electronics company. We have multiple, daily fitness activities and there is a lot of pressure to be fit.
            I worked for a university before I retired. We had maybe 15-20 folks at that lab, depending upon who one counts at that location. I'm guessing most (>7o%) were active to some extent and/or had kids on hs and college athletic teams. "Active" includes running, hiking, biking, swimming, mushing, xc skiing, whatever - not necessarily "training" for anything, but besides myself I know at least one was training for a century bike ride and we've had a couple other competitive cyclists there. After spending the bulk of the work day over lab machines, meeting schedules, and probably heading home for more work, just kicking back for a leasurely run through the farm fieds and adjacent trails was a great way to relax. Some do it at lunch. The faculty were always working on competitive grants that may be developed over years to compete at the national level or getting journal articles published (competing for pages). Literally, our jobs and careers were at stake, not some time at a marathon. Balance in life suggested not getting too carried away with competitiveness in sports. (They do now have a gps/gis runner but didn't when I was there - but gps/gis is part of his job.) Running was a time to kick back, relax, get the blood circulating, clear the brain, and come back later and finish the work at night that you couldn't do during the day cuz of all the interferences. But, admittedly, Alaska tends to have people with more active life styles.
              I think the advice that comes from the more experienced members of this group is priceless but I also think that with experience comes psychological distance from the pain.
              +1. And the answer to your question is heart rate. For the newer runner, it is generally a more accurate and more direct reflection of the athlete's physiological condition and fitness.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

JimR

One of the best ways of learning something is by experience. If you make the mistake of running too fast and pay the price for it, you will remember how that feels. If you start slow, finish strong, and have a great run, you will remember that too. If you run a lot of runs at paces in between, you will remember how those feel. How can a beginner learn to run by feel if they don't make mistakes and learn how those mistakes feel?
                Same is true if they had a HRM. Without someone to translate the numbers for them, 100, 140, 180 are just numbers. They might eventually latch on to 180 is yucky hard and 120 is easy enough and there's stuff in between. A lot of new runners don't really care much about learning this stuff. A lot of them have a goal they wanna write off their life list and really just want numbers and a schedule and stuff to guide them. If they're told to get a HRM and keep it around 130, they'd be fine with that. They'd religiously keep to the numbers and stick within it and be satisfied they're doing okay. They'd have no idea why they're doing it except they've been told. Tell em to run 3 miles this day and 4 the next and 6 on Sunday...all's good for them. Tell em to run 20 minutes as 140 this day and 30 minutes at 130 the next, newbies are great to take numbers. The HRM is just another number thingy for them. But there's so much to be learned by doing things wrong.
                  AKTrail, it sounds like you and I have both been largely influenced by our respective environments in completely different ways. In my world, people tend to run like lemmings towards whatever shiny object other people or the media tells them to run towards. I have been just as guilty of that behavior as anyone else. Once said shiny object is acquired it is then equally important to make sure that a) all your friends know you have it and b) they know how much you paid for it. In my mind there's a correlation between that behavior and the guy that's just spent $1,500 in gear before ever running a single step and who will go out and attack that first run faster than what he thinks his neighbor can run it. I blame Starbucks and Steve Jobs.
                  2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly

Why is it sideways?

Hey, at least you've got a hot wife.
                    TJoseph

Same is true if they had a HRM. Without someone to translate the numbers for them, 100, 140, 180 are just numbers. They might eventually latch on to 180 is yucky hard and 120 is easy enough and there's stuff in between. A lot of new runners don't really care much about learning this stuff. A lot of them have a goal they wanna write off their life list and really just want numbers and a schedule and stuff to guide them. If they're told to get a HRM and keep it around 130, they'd be fine with that. They'd religiously keep to the numbers and stick within it and be satisfied they're doing okay. They'd have no idea why they're doing it except they've been told. Tell em to run 3 miles this day and 4 the next and 6 on Sunday...all's good for them. Tell em to run 20 minutes as 140 this day and 30 minutes at 130 the next, newbies are great to take numbers. The HRM is just another number thingy for them. But there's so much to be learned by doing things wrong.
                      You are right. Everyone runs for different reasons. If they are running just to be able to say they finished a marathon and they want the magic formula to get them there, I can understand that. If they are taking up running as a lifetime pursuit I think running by feel is a skill that is worth learning.

A Saucy Wench

But there's so much to be learned by doing things wrong.
                        +1

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dave

In my world, people tend to run like lemmings towards whatever shiny object other people or the media tells them to run towards ......... I blame Starbucks and Steve Jobs.
                          Dude, you need to get outside the beltway. There's a whole other world out there that doesn't even resemble where you're from and the people around you. There is plenty blame to go around and I'm fairly sure neither of those two deserve it. Even that child lovin' pedophile called Michael Jackson knew to start with the man in the mirror. Modified to add:
                          Drink beer, mostly slow, some fast. Buy in bulk. Drinkers drink. It works for almost everything...
                          Never mind, Jay. You're OK in my book.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

+1. And the answer to your question is heart rate. For the newer runner, it is generally a more accurate and more direct reflection of the athlete's physiological condition and fitness.
                            +1 to this. I consider myself a new runner, having just started in April and run only one 5K thus far. I have a very hard time quantifying my effort. I always feel out of breath--I'm fat, and I'm running...I'm going to be out of breath. I'm always sweaty. Again, fat and running, I'm always going to get sweaty. My HRM tells me if it's psychological or physiological. Maybe I feel tired because I'm running too fast. Or maybe I'm tired because I didn't sleep great last night and had a crappy day at work. My HRM doesn't lie, it tells me exactly how hard I'm working. Granted, you have to have at least some idea of what the numbers mean, but it doesn't take long to figure out what HR you're "normally" running at and be able to at least make a rough comparison. I hope that eventually, I will learn how to better judge my effort level. But until I've established enough of a running base and know what feels "right" I need something to quantify that effort level.
                            2009 Goals:
                            PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                            Run a 10K
                            Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                            Complete my first Sprint Tri
                            Scout7

Granted, you have to have at least some idea of what the numbers mean, but it doesn't take long to figure out what HR you're "normally" running at and be able to at least make a rough comparison.
                              Of course, what you normally run at could be too difficult, and you cause yourself problems. Without either getting a test in a lab or conducting a field test to determine what HR you should be training at, you're just running at an arbitrary level. I spent some time thinking about these issues. And here's what I've come up with. I do not have anything specific against the use of HRMs. What I do take issue with is when people tout them as the end-all be-all of training, and make absolute statements akin to the one Berner made. The fact is that NONE of the metrics have any meaning whatsoever without a reference point. All the evidence points to this, regardless of the method used. If you use HR, you need to know what HR is considered easy/recovery, what is considered hard. You do this through a test, or by correlation to how you feel. With pace, same thing. You correlate to how you feel, or to a race. With feel, you correlate it to a given pace or HR. In the long run, it does not matter one iota which method you use. So long as you use one. I use RPE because that's what I know, it's the most simple thing for me, and it allows me to structure my training (when I do so). I have done pace-based training, and even tried out HR training. Pace-based worked for me to some extent, but I found I got too wrapped up in the numbers and it wasn't fun anymore. HR training was even worse. The alarm got to be most frustrating due to hills. The whole debate between technology vs. using your body has gotten too polarized. The fact is, neither side is any more right or wrong than the other. I'm not going to convince Berner that my way is the best, nor is he going to convince me his is best. As for why new runners like numbers, it's been said already. It gives them something to quantify. They get a plan, they have specific numbers to hit, and that's that. No need to make it difficult. Hey, so long as they get out the door that's what really matters. Some people need that reassurance that they are doing things right, and having something like HR may be what they need. Who am I to argue? But, we need to recognize that we all approach training based on what works for us as individuals. As Jeff stated in another thread, the only real law of running is that the more miles you run, the better you'll do. Anything else is an academic debate that has minimal meaning beyond the individual, especially as to how one judges effort. With that in mind, it become evident that the big issue people have is when someone says his or her method is the "best" method, especially for a new runner. That may be the case for the individual, but may not be the case for others.
                              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

I use mine mostly to get concrete verification of progress (Hmm, tempo pace seems easier lately - am I improving, or just in a good frame of mind and not noticing the discomfort so much? Ah, my HR has dopped some. Looks like my body's adjusting). I also think it's a useful tool for me for running quality sessions in adverse conditions like high heat and humidity. Of course there are other ways. Not too long ago, nobody trained with HRMs and got along just fine. If mine died today I probably would not replace it, but I do enjoy having it and fully recognize it's a toy.
                                I think it's important to keep in mind that a lot of people are here to lose weight, improve their cardiovascular fitness, or get into better shape. They are running but they aren't runners. Some of those people will eventually make the decision to become runners but many won't.
                                C'mon people! Are we really gonna let this slide!? This is a perfect opportunity to turn this into a "What is a runner/running vs jogging thread! Slackers