5k times (Read 1492 times)

I think my first one running cross in HS was something like 31 mins or such. By the end it was 19, and in college I had an 18 min 5k split in a longer run than that...but of course now I'm a lot slower. =-)

~J

I have only run one 5k, and I had pretty poor pacing as I am used to longer races and started too slowly. 23:09, age 57.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

36:10...... I remember feeling like a million dollars! I don`t think I was last. But it wasn`t a big field, and I wasn`t too far from it. Big grin
        "I never said it was going to be easy. I only said it would be worth it."
        vengeancewins

As a Sophomore I ran 23:30ish at a really tough course, so probably around 23:00 anywhere else. Now I run a lot faster than that pace for all my runs.

TRIing to beat the heat!

I'll play... Just FYI- I'm female in the 30 to 34 age group. I ran my very first 5K (before I even finished the Couch to 5K program) in February 2008 in 32:03. I ran my second not even a month later in 28:19. My most recent 5K time was about 2 weeks ago at our Nov. '08 Turkey Trot and I ran that in 23:58. I'm thinking that you are probably looking for some 'hope' that your initial time will drop. Trust me, it will. I also train for triathlons, so my running is usually limited in mileage. So, for the Turkey Trot PR, I really had only been putting in anywhere from 15 to 20 miles per week. For a look at a newbie guy, I'll give you my husband's numbers as well (also 30 to 34 age group): He ran his first 5K this past August '08 is 28:50. His most recent 5K (last weekend) is now down to 24:58 and he's lucky if he logs anywhere close to 8 miles per week. HTH

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

xor

I don't remember. I was pretty drunk at the time.

Outside Lane

5/5/2002 - 29:11

See how they run...

My first 5K was 29:27 in April 2006, but this was not my first race. My first 10 mile race time a couple of months earlier was 1:53Tight lippedx which translates to about a 33:30 5K. I think I can run a 5k In about 25:00 now, so if you keep running, you'll definitely improve, a lot at first. No speed work necessary.
                  Ringmaster

Well, if you're just looking for encouragement that your times will improve, they will. If you're looking for a place of comparison for how much they'll improve, you won't really get one, because there are too many variables. Ran my first December, 2007 in 26:18, which was great for me--I was hoping to come in under 30 minutes. Ran the same race a year later and came in at 23:28, but I raced that one really hard, coming off several months of intense training--not specific to the 5k, but to break 2 hours in a HM. I'm a 34 yo F, and I've been running about 18m.

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
                    Mile by Mile

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

18:27. Age 15, sophomore year in high school (I didn't do CC frosh year, but I did run track).

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Well I can officially report the slowest time so far (do I get a prize)? That was in August, had just finished C25K but was running with some horrific shin splints and had only run ~5 miles for the two weeks before the 5K...anywho my time was 43:10. It was so slow I didn't even get recorded on the final results cause the official timer people left at 35:00. MTA Background: 27 YO female, new runner (never ran in HS either), overweight.
                        2009 Goals:
                        PR 5K (Ha, current 43:10)
                        Run a 10K
                        Meet Seasonal Weight Loss Challenges
                        Complete my first Sprint Tri
                          Well I can officially report the slowest time so far (do I get a prize)? That was in August, had just finished C25K but was running with some horrific shin splints and had only run ~5 miles for the two weeks before the 5K...anywho my time was 43:10. It was so slow I didn't even get recorded on the final results cause the official timer people left at 35:00. MTA Background: 27 YO female, new runner (never ran in HS either), overweight.
                          Hey - So what ----- you got a good start and now you have a goal to beat....go for 41:00 next time.....you're doing good -- Keep it up...... Big grin Big grin Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

JimR

22:15
                              17:57 [HS -- 1986] 22:52 [2 weeks ago] ... with no hair, my aerodynamics have improved ... can't figure why I have slowed down Big grin

2012= under-goaled

17:57 [HS -- 1986] 22:52 [2 weeks ago] ... with no hair, my aerodynamics have improved ... can't figure why I have slowed down Big grin
                                that's funny. both times are within about 10-15 seconds of what I ran in 1986 and what I ran in 2008. Deja vu.