Running is bad for you!!! I need a good response to that comment! (Read 1302 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I just look at them and say I lost 30 pounds, my cholesterol level fell 30 points, my blood pressure is much lower, and my kids tell me I'm happier! That's all the reason I need to keep running, as slow as I am.

Imminent Catastrophe

Just say, "I used to weigh 350 lbs". It's a lie, but they don't know that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

These are great! Because I'm hotter than you, and I need to keep it that way.
        2009: BQ?
        dj steve boyett

Reluctant Scrooge

Okay, here's what you do. Say, "Look, I can prove it's good for me right here and now." Then ask if you can hold the driver's license. Tell him it's for a test you saw in a health magazine, and you're asking for the license cuz you don't want to make him nervous by asking for his credit card or anything. Just reassure him. Stay calm. Get the license. Hold it out between thumb and forefinge. Tell him to hold his hands out, and at the count of three, he should clap his hands. Count to three. Then run like hell. With his license. Don't you dare stop, either. Alternatively, you could just say, "I know it's bad for me, but talking to idiots is even worse for my blood pressure. So if you'll excuse me, I have to go run now."
          Steve Boyett
          Podrunner: Free, nonstop, fixed-BPM workout music mixes.
          Podrunner: Intervals - Free, varied-BPM workout music mixes!
          chrimbler

Just say "Are you talking to me or chewing on a brick?...'Cos either way you're gonna lose your teeth!!" And then...well...RUN AWAY!! Black eye
            Run like you stole it!
            Gig

However, a large moustache has the effect of breaking the wind, making your face more streamlined. Notice that the fastest American men of the 1970s had very large moustaches.
              Trishie, are you thinking of growing a very large mustache? Please update your photo if you do. I think it'll be a good look for you. Okay, back to the topic. Tell them you have to run to calm your nerves so that you don't start screaming at people every time they say something inane. Or say "I have to run so that I have an excuse to hang out on the RA forums." Or, ask them if they really believe it, and if they do, challenge them to a race or an IQ test.

Queen of 3rd Place

Feh, I've been hearing this stuff since the 70s, when my mother told me my uterus would fall out if I exercised strenuously. My coaches then got a kick out of that, one of them (the biology teacher) used to joke that we should find something disgusting from the biology lab, toss it on the ground, take a photo and send it to my mom with a note saying it was my uterus. Anyway. You don't need to say anything. If you must, you can stare blankly at the individual for a moment, letting the full effect of how ill-informed they are sink in (both you and said commenter should appreciate how appalled you are during this pause), but that is all. Punctuating your "surprise" at their ignorance with a reflective, softly-spoken, "uh-huhhhh", "wo-owww" or "ri-ight" is not unwarranted. Then walk away/change the subject/start a conversation with someone else. There's no point in discussion. I've worked around scientists and physicians all my life, and I always tell the nay-sayers that there's no evidence that running results in any of the damage they claim, and that in fact, the reverse seems to be true. Nonetheless, I still see them blank out, I can literally see the doors of the mind slam shut. Now, I would think that folks trained in an evidence-based field should be open to the data, but, well, prejudice is something to hurdle. Arla

Ex runner

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This whole thread reminds me how lucky I am to have married into a family of runners (did's dad once ran the Chicago Marathon, his mom is still an active part of a running group, his aunt still runs a lot, and her hubby ran Western States 100 and is the chief organizer of the North Country Trail Relay). My family doesn't have a history of running, but my brother and I are working to change that and our folks are so supportive. I've honestly not really gotten any criticism towards my running--yet. But this thread is giving me good fodder if I ever should. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

finney

Resident pinniped

Them: "Running is bad for you." You: "Probably" *walks away* Why do you have to "defend yourself"? Some things people are just going to have their opinions on, and getting upset and trying to convince them and trotting out proof, numbers and anecdotes is just a waste of time and energy.
                    Mr R

Derek, It seems that you're a Minnesota circuit racer. I wish we had something like that in Los Angeles. We've got some big races, but it's hard to feel as competitive when you're rarely racing against the same people, there's no unified season, and some of the best races are on the same weekend. I grew up in MN, and I would love to get back there at some point.

What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heart-rending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles, Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that? -John Parker

Yeah, my first thought as a response was: "That's not what your mom said last night."
                        I thought the "baseball talk" was supposed to be "That's not what your wife told me last night"??? Sorry, folks, for bringing the level of this message board down...! ;o) I still go back to what Arthur Lydiard once said when asked why he ran: "Because, if I don't run, I'd feel like you do; and I don't like it."
                          I wrote this article for my club newsletter maybe it can help you. Hope you like it. Say What? People can say the craziest things sometimes. They might say them because they believe myths or maybe they prefer to ignore established facts so that they can excuse their own faults. As runners you and I, have no doubt, heard some good ones about our running commitment. Here is my list along with a proper response so that you don’t have to scream “Say What?” Surveys consistently conclude that people consider good health the most important aspect of their life. So why do I hear so many negative comments about my running and eating habits? I’ve, countless times, been called a health freak or nut for eating a salad for lunch or an apple for a mid-afternoon snack. A few days into the new year I was walking through City Hall with apple in hand when a man made a comment “what did you do, make some goofy new year resolution to eat healthy”, obviously he didn’t know me very well so instead of screaming “Say What?” I just politely replied “what could be more delicious than a crisp, sweet and juicy Jonagold apple”. The man chuckled and went outside for his smoke break. Apparently health freaks, like rednecks, are among the few groups of people that still are fair game for negative comments because if I were to comment negatively on the lifestyles of those with unhealthy habits I would probably have to go to sensitivity classes for the second, OK I confess, the fourth time. During the winter months I’m barraged with warnings about catching a cold or flu from running outside. Instead of screaming “Say What?” I explain that you can’t get a cold or the flu from the weather but rather by being inside where other people spread viruses and they multiply at room temperature. Just between us runners, I do recommend being careful about running in the cold if you have a sinus infection or bronchitis. When the weather turns real cold of course someone must say “you’ll freeze your lungs”. Instead of screaming “Say What?” I tell them about the day I did a 16 miler when it was -3F and my only problem was a frozen water bottle. I’ve found that seems more effective than telling them the scientific facts. All we runners of course have been told, at least once, that running is bad for our knees. There are a couple reasons that I don’t scream “Say What?” to that comment. First of all pain has at some time, no doubt, made us wonder if it could be true. Secondly until the recent use of MRI’s in studies, the majority of medical professionals also thought this was true. The latest studies have proved that moderate running, 2.5-4.5 hours per week at speeds slower than 8mph (7:30 per mile), does not increase the risk of osteoarthritis. The fact is that running strengthens the cartilage, increases the blood flow and lubrication to the joints thus improving joint health. Studies of elite runners have been few and primarily inconclusive but most have determined that the stress of training and racing at that high level overwhelms the natural joint defenses that have benefited the moderate runner, thus implying that they might be at increased risk of future joint problems. Studies of the in-between runners, i.e. 40 miles per week at 7:00 minute mile pace are practically non-existent. The studies have, however, concluded that running is low impact compared to snow skiing, soccer or tennis. Obesity and occupational hazards appear to be two of the leading causes of osteoarthritis. Frequent kneeling or standing for long hours at work cause excessive joint stress and sky rockets for those who are overweight; each pound of body weight adds three pounds of stress to the knees. Joint trauma from fractures and tears appear to set up an increased risk of osteoarthritis years later. My conclusion is that any kind of running keeps the joints moving and helps keep weight down thus is far and away better for the knees than doing nothing. Linda has heard some comments that are unique to women, such as, “your uterus will collapse” and other organs get jiggled around. “Say What?” Well first of all it’s not medically possible, but if it was, running would probably help prevent it by strengthening the surrounding core muscles. “The bouncing can cause breast cancer”, “Say What?” The Susan Komen Breast Cancer Foundation sponsors more than 100 races a year because it strongly believes that running helps prevent breast cancer and also aids in the recovery of breast cancer survivors by improving immune system function and alleviating depression, I think that says it all. Several months ago I was running in the neighborhood when a young father was playing in the driveway with his toddler, the child wanted to know why I was running and dad replied “he’s not running he’s jogging” I wanted to scream “Say What?” but couldn’t, the kick in the ego had left me too short of breath. A couple days later the bruise had gone away and I began to realize that maybe I deserved that one. I once was asked why I would ever embarrass myself by entering a race that I had no chance of winning. I’m sure I wanted to scream “Say What?” but I don’t recall what I did say at the time. Now my reply would be to quote the great running philosopher George Sheehan, “for every runner who races to win there are thousands for whom running is not a test but a therapy, not a trial but a reward, not a question but an answer”. That will no doubt leave non-runners more confused than ever, while at the same time, reminding me of why I do run. “I don’t have time to exercise”. When people tell me that, I reply that it’s a matter of priorities and commitment because you can’t afford not to find at least 4 hours a week for moderate exercise. Once in a while I get back at them. For example, someone who often reminds me they think I must be crazy for running recently asked my long term running goals and I told them I want to finish the 50th annual Myrtle Beach Half Marathon. When they asked when that would be I told them that February 17, 2007 would be the 10th annual; that apparently didn’t change their mind about me being crazy as I was reminded that I’ll be 92 years old, but hey didn’t say I’d be fast.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

msl

I seem to have been defending myself as a runner a lot lately. Most of my family and friends are sporty so it's not them, but I seem to have come across a lot of people socially that roll their eyes and say your just asking for trouble and injuries. I need some good one liners to shut them up. Anyone got some good retorts?
                            I cannot believe I stumbled upon this....My mother in law and I just had this conversation the other day. Running is so unhealthy for the body, etc, etc, etc.... Thanks for the tips!
                              I always hate the "be careful" comment. Makes me frustrated that they wouldn't think that I had the good sense to research the correct way for training, running etc. Sheesh! Roll eyes My favourite response is : "Oh contraire, mon amie! Running reduces my risk of cancer recurrence, dramatically reduces my risk of cardovascular disease which is the number one killer of women and men in this country, keeps my weight in check so that my risk of joining the tsunami of Type II diabetics in this country is also lowered, allows me to drink beer, AND IT MAKES ME FEEL D**M GOOD! So excuse me, I've got to run. Bye" Big grin

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Ooh, this would be good said with a Scottish brogue, like Shrek! Big grin
                                Exactly. I think the quote from the movie is - "Two things Donkey, Shut Up." My family says this all the time when people annoy us. (But usually just to ourselves.)
                                "If I control myself, I control my destiny."