Running is bad for you!!! I need a good response to that comment! (Read 1302 times)

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I sympathize with you. I'm in PT now for not breaking in a new pair of orthoics correctly. The PT office is affiliated with my sports med doctor's office and I still had a new PT tell me this week that I should stop running or I would ruin my knees and wear out my joints. My response: Funny you should say that. I asked the doctor about running and he told me running is one of the best exercises one can do. BTW: I'm going to report this PT's idiotic comment when I see the doctor for a follow up.
    obsessor

My pants were getting too small. I cannot afford a new wardrobe. People don't die of bad knees. But they die of heart attack and stroke, don't they? You're right. I was thinking of increasing my drinking and taking up smoking. I'm not running for my health. I like to run, that's all. It keeps me from taking drugs. It leaves less time to drink, and I figure that's good. What do you do to remain in such good health? It works for me. Life is risky. I heard sitting on the couch is bad for your back. I like pain. I'm actually hoping for some injury, I could use the time off. I run for beer. That's why I run. (don't explain, just repeat) Oh! And here I thought I was getting some healthy exercise. Thanks, I'll stop right away! It's a relatively safe addiction. Someone challenged me to a race, so I'm getting in better running shape. (people get this one.) Let's both go to the doctor and take a stress test, hmmm? Oh, so you are saying you can't beat me in a race? Let's race. I pick the distance. True - I am committing suicide the long slow painful way. Pills are for sissies. We all die sometime. The mortality rate is 100%. I do what I want, you do what you want. I like to punish myself. My knees have been bad lately; they need to be punished. Bad knees, BAD!!!! They made me run in (prison, the halfway house, boot camp, take your pick, have fun with it) and I got used to it. You're not a very fast runner, huh. I like apples. (or other random comment that affirms their doubts in your sanity. Only do this if alone, and later deny all knowlege of the exchange.)
      AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

gee, obsessor, you ran a lot last weekend...

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

gee, obsessor, you ran a lot last weekend...
          Obsessor Dude... 42miles at 7 min/mile pace... I'm surprised you didn't pull the "I commute faster than you one."

Vim

Two words - Shut Up Donkey. Or Bite me.
            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Two words - Shut Up Donkey.
              Ooh, this would be good said with a Scottish brogue, like Shrek! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Ooh, this would be good said with a Scottish brogue, like Shrek!
                That's exactly how I heard it when I read it. Cool There's also: "That's not what your sister said." if applicable. I know, I went to the same well the "your mom" joke. I can't help it. I think your mom/sister jokes are comedy gold. Or you could go with my latest favorite justification for anything: "If I don't run, then the terrorists have already won."

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

My knees have been bad lately; they need to be punished. Bad knees, BAD!!!!
                  That's my favorite. Big grin Just this morning my mom asked me why on earth I would want to run a 5K and should she make an appointment with her therapist for me.
                  Heroes never die. They just reload.
                  obsessor

Two words - Shut Up Donkey. Or Bite me.
                    ha! that's some stitches.
                    obsessor

Obsessor Dude... 42miles at 7 min/mile pace... I'm surprised you didn't pull the "I commute faster than you one."
                      not quite 7min/mile. I "might" run an ultra soon, and I won't try for second. I thought it would take me out, but surprisingly, it wasn't that bad. I should maybe have fudged that report down a few ... 20 ... miles so as to avoid the appearance of mental illness. Really, I am pretty much sane. Mostly.
                        The mortality rate is 100%. I do what I want, you do what you want.
                        I love it!
                          People are like this at my school that don't run...and they tell my how crazy I am. They do this of course while sucking down mountain dew and candy...which granted, isn't really that shocking for teenagers. No matter what, they just won't/can't accept that running makes YOU happy. But I usually just tell people that they shouldn't talk about something they know absolutely NOTHING about. and STFU.
                          obiebyke

"If I don't run, then the terrorists have already won."
                            So true. So true.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Kings Canyon NP 07'

Running keeps me sane, I guess you don't run?

left-right-left-right-repeat

" Because I can" ....... Tongue 'nuff said. Big grin

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS"