I'm so discouraged! Ahhh. (Read 1048 times)

Dalsor

Hey Everyone, Today was my first day of c25k, and I ran for time, and around the middle of my session I felt exhausted...drenched in sweat, my throat was on fire, and for some reason my inner ear was killing me. I had a sudden wave of nausea and had to sit on the curb for a minute in order to continue. I almost walked back to my house, but I walked at a fast pace for the rest of the time because I didn't want to give up. Here's an overview about myself. I'm 21 years old, currently a fourth year at the University of California Riverside, and also concurrently enrolled in an EMT program which I will graduate from in June. I've been so stressed lately with school, work, and just everything in life that I felt like I needed to do something for myself. I wanted to start running, so about a week ago I went to my local running shop and got fitted(Brooks Trance 7) and decided to start my c25k journey this morning. I woke up at 8, and headed out at 9. I stretched for 15 minutes, had a brisk walk for 5 minutes, and then did the 60sec running, 90sec walking...about 5 cycles through, that started happening. Also, I started experience really bad pain in the outside arches of my feet(The guy at the local running shop said I was an overpronator, and that these would help immensely) I was wondering if this is a normal experience for everyone, because I felt exhausted the whole second half. I am 5'11, 155lbs(Pretty skinny guy, but I do have a small pouch from my early years of college) Regardless, I am going to go back out on Tuesday morning and try again. It's just very discouraging...but I know I have to push through. I didn't eat anything this morning...but I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Sorry for the long winded rant...I just feel so discouraged.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hi, Dalsor--kudos to you for getting out there and welcome to RA! Big grin My first suspicion with the bad feelings you ran into on your run were that maybe you were going out too fast. I get some of those symptoms when I'm running all-out at the end of a race. Are you running easily enough that you could carry on a conversation with another person? That's a good way to measure effort and make sure that you're not overdoing it. As for the arch issue...since you are a new runner it could just be your muscles and tendons being stressed by new effort. When I have that outer arch pain issue it's almost always from a shoe that is too stiff. Not necessarily too much stability, but a shoe without enough forefoot flexibility--I have a pair of neutral shoes that cause me this issue, as well as a pair of moderate stability ones that do the same thing, so it's not the medial post that's the problem. A shoe that is too big/long might cause your feet to work harder, too, which also can make for sore arches. If the shoes don't suit you I'd bet that the store would take them back--most good running stores will, since they want to keep you uninjured and buying more shoes in the future. Smile Keep up with it--it DOES get easier and better. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Ostrich runner

You'll probably want to eat next time, but otherwise that sounds about right. Running hurts at first, but it sounds like you have the personality for it if you're willing to make yourself feel like that. I gets easier. You might want to go get a physical if it's been a while. Others might disagree with me, but I don't think there is anyway around the first few weeks hurting.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Welcome to the sport. It sounds like you went and got a decent set of shoes and have a plan to follow... that's a great start. Your experience brings a couple of ideas to mind. First of all it sounds like you could have used a little more water before you started. You're not at a point where you should need to carry any, but you should be well hydrated before you start. Get lots of fluids a couple of hours before you start (not right before you start, or you'll have to find a bathroom halfway through). Second, you may need to slow down. Even the most experienced runners on here do the bulk of their runs much more slowly than they race. During your running intervals, make it a nice easy jog. This will help your body adapt. It needs to get used to the new stresses being put on it. But running nice and easy, your cardiovascular system will make some big improvements that will allow you to go farther and faster over time. To answer your other questions: I can't speak for everybody, but I remember that starting was a bit painful. I also didn't start off very smart, so I made it harder than I should have. You shouldn't have had to eat anything to have the calories to get through the workout. That said, I personally hate running with nothing in my stomach. A light snack 30-60 minutes before you start won't hurt. Some advice for you: Read the posts on this site often. You'll probably see a lot of things that affect you already, and many things to watch out for. You'll see plenty of trends in advice people trade at all levels that will help you learn to run well. You should also sign up for a race. Having that kind of a goal is amazingly motivational. Lastly, no matter how many miles you run or how fast you run them, someone on here is doing more faster... never compare yourself and feel that you should be doing the same.

-------------------------------------
          5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
          10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
          1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
          Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I think Zoomie is right - you're going too fast. Slow down, even if it seems as if you're barely jogging! That was the biggest revelation for me when I started running - you don't have to go fast. In fact, it's important that you DON'T, if you want to make this a lifelong activity. I did C25k starting a year and a half ago, and I could barely make the 60 seconds when I started. I had to repeat some weeks, so don't feel bad if you have to do that. It took me months before I could run 30 minutes straight, but now I can make it almost two hours. It's worth the effort! Oh, I had bad knee pain at first, but that went away after a few weeks. Good luck! Keep us posted and ask lots of questions. Teresa
              I ran for time, and around the middle of my session I felt exhausted...drenched in sweat, my throat was on fire, and for some reason my inner ear was killing me.?
              With the exception of the inner ear, sounds like you had a good run. Evil grin On a more serious note, it sounds like you are just pushing your pace too much. Your breathing should be such that you could carry on a conversation. Take it easy on your run, and take it easy on yourself. C25K is designed to avoid overuse injuries, if you take it slow and build up gradually there will be plenty of time to drop the hammer and recreate the joyous misery you described above. Dont' be discouraged, just stick with the plan. Best of luck to you.

E.J.
              Greater Lowell Road Runners
              Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

C25K (COUCH TO 5K) HAD TO GOOGLE

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Dalsor

Wow, that was fast. Thanks for all the encouragement guys! I had really bad cotton mouth around the halfway point as well. I probably have to hydrate a little more before, and take it a little slower. We'll see how it goes on Tuesday. Thanks again guys, and if anyone has any tips, I would love to hear them.

SMART Approach

Think "jogging" for the running portion. Take it slow. Slowly build. I would rather you walk for 15 min. than stretch before your run. You are wasting time. The brisk walk will get you loose for the run/walk. You need time on your feet. Stretch some after the run.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

As the others have said; just slow down, you should never be totally out of breath when you run. If you can't finish the running portion, that is alright, your conditioning will quickly improve to the point where you can. If you are having a lot of trouble completing the running portion don't be afraid to repeat the week. Taking longer to get through the program is perfectly fine, trying to force the issue by trying to run too fast or moving on to the next week before you are ready is a good way to get injured. Tom

The Greatest of All Time

It gets easier if you stick with it. I promise. Just get back out there.
                        all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
                          Also, keep in mind it was VERY warm today, even at 9:00. I went out for a regular, easy run this morning at 9:30 and it was already past 85 and climbing. Took way more effort than I had anticpated. I am just north of you in Redlands. Welcome and good luck. I did C25K about a year or so ago and it's a sound program and you'll see results right away. Everyone is so right with the slow down and take it easy. Maybe on the hot days carry a water bottle...you can get a handheld with a strap at the local running place for ~$10-15.
                          Lookin' back at my background, tryin' to figure out how I ever got here...
                            Dalsor, Cognratulations on a good run. Its good because you went out and did it. Hey not every day will feel good but everyday out is better than any day on the couch, hence the program name. My wife graduated that program over a month ago and it really hurt her to stsart, she hates running but does it for a lifestyle change. The point I want to get to though is we really run slow with her. Slow down is the key, I mean real slow like 14 to 15 min/mile. You will be able to the time and that alone will be encouraging for your next run. Good luck and keep up the good work. Derrick
                            If the road less traveled was easy, would it be...?

Bugs

Hey Everyone, Today was my first day of c25k, and I ran for time, and around the middle of my session I felt exhausted...drenched in sweat, my throat was on fire, and for some reason my inner ear was killing me. I had a sudden wave of nausea and had to sit on the
                              You sound like you might be coming down with something. It does get easier, else there wouldn't be so many of us addicted to it.

Bugs

jfa

From someone who was a C25k grad a year ago ,take it easy. You'll get there! I thought I was going to die when I first started and I had been walking alot for a year before that. Take the great advice here from all the vets and you'll do fine! Don't overdo it and don't give up !! Cool