Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

People are not cats.

#truth

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

People are not cats. That story is a red herring. People are people, that's mainly what people need to remember.

idk they might devise a surgery for that. whiskers, claws etc. what makes a cat a cat?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

mmerkle

In that case I am the most powerful, since I do zero reps on an infinite amount of weight.

Haha I approve !

piwi Thanks for the shoutout.

Training Question:

As I have indicated before. Now that I am 12 weeks (ish) out from the Erie marathon, I think I should transition to marathon training. I am thinking about modeling my training on Jack Daniels "Plan C" since it is designed for a mixed race season that ends with a marathon. So I guess for the next week or two, I will mostly be running easy runs, building mileage, and getting a strength training routine going before re introducing workouts. Does this make sense? Does this sound like a good plan? I feel like if I keep the workouts going during the transition, I might go "stale". And while we are at it, why exactly does "going stale" happen? I feel like we all know it does happen, but why, from a physiological standpoint, does this happen?

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I saw Roxette in 2012 after being a fan in the early 90s (Fading like a Flower, Listen to your heart, It must have been love - VERY different to most of my other musical taste).  I thought Per was amazing and Marie did pretty well considering her health issues.  I really like this from the Marie tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pczp1BEZ8Zw

It seems that in the last 10 years mental health issues have become celebrated (which I think is slightly better than ignored or denied) but now you get called a bigot or censored if you don't agree that someone is a cat etc...

I thought everyone above 30 or who doesn't go with the narrative just gets called a boomer these days.

In actual running news, I'm sticking with the Hagley Park Run next Saturday after all.  My coach said he's actually been there when they've measured it with the wheel.  The trees and a couple of tight turns don't help the GPS.  I was thinking I'd run through the finish line if it reads 4.98 but if it's measured and it's just the GPS out, am I only doing that for Strava?  Or has this forum gotten into my head....

Anyway, Coach Andy thinks a PR is a stretch on no speed training and 4 weeks post-marathon but he still wants me to go out at about my PR pace and almost wants me to blow up because that will give him good HR threshold data.  You never know, but the one in August will be my big chance.

Strength - I've definitely noticed a difference since I started proper strength training, albeit not yet in race results.  On some training runs with quicker workouts it feels much easier and I just feel stronger.

Damn, that YouTube you posted was amazing from the Marie tribute.

Good luck with the Parkrun next week, you might surprise yourself as you’ve run decent mileage and I think you should go for the PR!  Even if you blow up, you’ll only be out of breath for about 10min. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Merkle I will let the experienced marathoners answer that for you. I haven't run one in 9 years.

My week pretty good. 3rd week in a row over 50 mpw. 5 x 1ks yesterday came out at 3.41/km.

I'm going to do my local

Parkrun next week and have a crack at the 55 to 59 age course record of 18.35.

I know there's plenty in that age group that could easily beat that but that's the current record.

Weekly for period: From: 19/06/2023 To 25/06/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
            Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
            in m
            19/06 Morning Run 4.99 8.02 00:46:12 09:16 05:46 0
            20/06 Progressive 7.47 12.02 00:54:07 07:15 04:30 2
            21/06 Morning Run 4.98 8.01 00:46:01 09:14 05:45 8
            22/06 Morning Run 10x100m strides 6.24 10.04 00:49:49 07:59 04:58 7
            23/06 Lunch Run 4.98 8.02 00:43:54 08:49 05:28 8
            24/06 Morning Run with 5x1k intervals 2 min jog recovery 8.15 13.12 01:00:44 07:27 04:38 4
            25/06 Pack run 14.92 24.00 02:00:08 08:03 05:00 150

Totals: Time: 07:00:55 - Statute: 51.73 mi - Metric: 83.23 km

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - nailing some consistent weeks there! Nice work.

My week was reasonable.  Legs FINALLY seem to have recovered from that trail adventure a couple weeks ago, and had a decent track session on Sat morning despite windy and very wet conditions.  Ended up being my biggest week in a couple months so I guess things are tracking in the right direction.  Still mostly running from home so getting a lot more hills than normal, I'm sure that'll pay off at some point.

Weekly for period: From: 19/06/2023 To 25/06/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
              Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
              in m
              19/06 That run where the legs were still mush 4.99 8.02 00:36:01 07:13 04:29 138
              20/06 That run with a crowd on the bridge 8.57 13.80 00:57:55 06:45 04:12 156
              21/06 That run where this month is probably gonna be an all time record for me for elevation gain 9.96 16.03 01:03:50 06:25 03:59 154
              22/06 That run where telling your wife “I’ve been out in worse” is a great way to induce a massive downpour for the first 3km of a run 8.80 14.15 00:58:49 06:41 04:09 205
              24/06 That run where the mysterious stranger appeared again 7.47 12.01 00:44:05 05:54 03:40 6
              25/06 That run where sometimes you’re just doing it for the km’s 13.89 22.34 01:38:17 07:05 04:24 216

Totals: Time: 05:58:57 - Statute: 53.67 mi - Metric: 86.36 km

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Training Question:

As I have indicated before. Now that I am 12 weeks (ish) out from the Erie marathon, I think I should transition to marathon training. I am thinking about modeling my training on Jack Daniels "Plan C" since it is designed for a mixed race season that ends with a marathon. So I guess for the next week or two, I will mostly be running easy runs, building mileage, and getting a strength training routine going before re introducing workouts. Does this make sense? Does this sound like a good plan? I feel like if I keep the workouts going during the transition, I might go "stale". And while we are at it, why exactly does "going stale" happen? I feel like we all know it does happen, but why, from a physiological standpoint, does this happen?

Disclaimer: I am somewhat experienced in marathoning, but far from an expert. I’m not really a student of training physiology, I’ve just tried a bunch of things and figured out what works for me (or what I prefer doing). That said, Daniels is the one guy I haven’t used. But if you’re 12 weeks out, wouldn’t the “official” plan be starting now? In any case—in advance of a formal plan I usually makes sure I have base mileage of 50+ (or wherever the plan starts you off), and start getting into a bit of speedwork that’s less intense that whatever your plan starts you with.

IDK about going stale—what that may just be is burnout, either physical or mental. It’s kind of why I don’t like training plans >12 weeks.

Dave

Fishyone

You "time travelers" always throw me off posting future dates!!

Piwi I agree with Mark you are posting some serious weeks with great quality and major speed thrown in there!!  Is there a marathon on the calendar or are you just toying with us mere mortal runners

Mark- Not sure which run I'm more jealous of.....The 7.5 at 5Tight lippedx or the LR the next day at 7

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Haha I approve !

piwi Thanks for the shoutout.

Training Question:

My PR came from running 5K workouts, but ending with around a 14 week plan for the marathon. It sounds similar to what you’re doing. Ultimately I do think you need to ditch the plans you were using (I feel like it was some Sage Canady program but I could be way off base, maybe it was Canova and I’m mixing letters up ). You shouldn’t be doing more 5K/10K workouts during a transition. The only thing is tempo runs: they are the bread and butter across all plans and they serve to bridge the gap. So I would say that’s the workouts you should be doing: either something like 3-4 mile tempo runs, or cruise intervals. The biggest thing is building your long runs up. I haven’t been following your recent training but if you’ve been keeping them short, start getting 16-18 mile runs in, all at an easy pace.

I also don’t know exactly how Plan C works (is that in the 2nd edition where he talks about Plan A?) but you’ll do well following his workouts. I think you’d be better served with much less focus on the longs runs, and Daniels does exactly that.

Regarding going stale, that won’t happen for you. I think of going stale for a marathon more as peaking too early.

I have a lot of hope for you mmerkle and I’m going to stick around to see how you do. I don’t know if you’re MM talent level until you get older, but you certainly have way more talent than your current times indicate. You absolutely will run 2:4X at some point in the next couple of years.

Also a lot of confusion about generations in here. I’m pretty sure Mark is a millennial and everyone else older than him in here is Gen X. We don’t really have any boomers. More people are millennials than they like to admit (looking at you RP), but as Piwi said, it doesn’t really matter. I remember when I was about 10 thinking “I’ll never look down on future generations” because of the stupid things people said then. I feel the same way now. Social media is something we need to consider, and just in general there has been an insane jump in suicides, but otherwise, it’s a whole lot of nonsense. We think Gen Z has social media destroying them when in reality you’ll see just as many old people staring at their phones at dinner, everyone thought millennials could waste time on the Internet/gaming, and the silent generation thought boomers were going to melt their brains with TV. It’s all crap. I say this as someone who has enjoyed sitting on his couch for the last 4 months not training although I do start shockwave next week!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Welcome to the new guy Jmac.

Mark nice job on the hills. You are blessed with good rolling terrain in Auckland.

Fishy I don't trust myself so for now it's a progression of 5k to 10k to half and then we will see how the motivation is. I ran my first marathon in 2013 and 2nd in 2014 and I only started running in 2010 but I was super OCD on running back then.

Shoutout to Hashiritai on a 1.24 half today only good enough for 9th in 50 to 59 age group 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Also a lot of confusion about generations in here. I’m pretty sure Mark is a millennial and everyone else older than him in here is Gen X.  

Nope. Right on the cusp, and definitely more consistent with Gen X.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

DavePNW

Also a lot of confusion about generations in here. I’m pretty sure Mark is a millennial and everyone else older than him in here is Gen X. We don’t really have any boomers.

Except for George (wcrunner2)! And a couple others who have checked in like Longboat. A few are close—officially, youngest boomers were born in 1964, I missed that by a year.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - I thought you were 1981, which is when millennial starts. Are you 1980? Also if you’re 1981 but identify with Gen X, that would be hilarious given the recent discussions https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials#:~:text=Encyclop%C3%A6dia%20Britannica%20defines%20millennials%20as,Y%20(millennial)%20birth%20years.

Dave - I consider longboat in that group too, even if he’s not. Anyone who is a historian automatically qualifies as the oldest generation alive.

Piwi - don’t welcome me. I’m just here for the marathon training tips. You need to build better security cameras to keep me out 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Mark - I thought you were 1981, which is when millennial starts. Are you 1980? Also if you’re 1981 but identify with Gen X, that would be hilarious given the recent discussions https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennials#:~:text=Encyclop%C3%A6dia%20Britannica%20defines%20millennials%20as,Y%20(millennial)%20birth%20years.

1981, but depending on your source, Gen X ended any time between 1979 and 1981, given that it's less about the actual date (since Gen X didn't just magically end on Dec 31, 1980, or Dec 31, 1981) and more about the formative influences and resulting attitudes to work and society.  But thanks for your wikipedia reckon all the same.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Dan Jones 5th at Western States 100. Another top Kiwi effort after Ruth Croft won the women’s race last year.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"