Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

63 miles running,1000 yards swimming, and 3 hours pool-running.
    M: 90 minutes pool-running
    T: 11 miles, including a track workout of 2000, 5x800 in 8:35, 3:18, 3:16, 3:14, 3:10, 3:07 (5:42 recovery after the 2K and 3:0x-3:2x recovery after the 800s - way too long due to a very busy track). Followed with leg strengthwork.
    W: 11.5 miles very easy (9:59) with some grass running, drills and hill sprints, and streaming yoga.
    Th: 90 minutes pool-running and upper body weights/core.
    F: 11 miles, including 7 Iwo Jima hills (alternate route - this was about 2:30 up, then 60 second jog; 30 second stride, and 60 seconds to bottom of hill.) Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    Sa: 11.5 miles very easy (10:20) with a few miles trail running at the end of the run, followed by upper body weights/core.
    Su: 17 miles, split as first 13 miles averaging 9:29 pace and next 4 averaging 8:03 pace. Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Just building strength at this point. As part of my work to improve my ankle strength and proprioception, I'm adding some running on grass and on trails - anywhere from a few minutes to a few miles on the different surface. It is definitely challenging and uncomfortable.

In shoe news, I've been considering the Hoka Rocket X2 as a marathon shoe. I wore it for today's run (which was very humid, with lots of damp pavement) and I discovered that this shoe has absolutely awful traction on wet pavement. So yeah, maybe a marathon shoe for dry weather; definitely not a marathon shoe for damp weather.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Good to see you posting your weekly!  And very nice of Tyson to run at your pace for that long.

We end up doing our own thing once I let him off the lead…I plod along at a slow easy pace and he covers more distance with a sniff and sprint workout. Sorry to hear about the car accident and glad you’re ok!  How come the guy didn’t stop?…I hope he wasn’t preoccupied on his phone!

mmerkle - Yes just basebuilding.  And it’s ok to take an extra break if your body needs it and I don’t have a problem if you decide to run on the treadmill. 

Dave - Well done, 78% is still good. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Resident Historian

This is the best highlight video of that race that I could find.  Note how Gammoudi pushes between Mills and Clarke to take the lead at one point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5iCsymMj0

That's a good video... but I like this one from Billy Mills' own perspective: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv-ZfEqxQGg

"Look at... look at Mills, Look at Mills, Oh my God..." 

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - I have a 5k on August 20th and a half marathon on October 1st, those are my hedges in terms of racing.
          I'm not sure what the coach has in mind as he only posts one week ahead.
          Honesty, I'd rather not think about it.
          I have already made the big mistake of signing up for a marathon months in advance, now I need to work hard on not becoming emotionally attached to it.
          Sorry to hear about the accident, whiplash can sometimes have long lasting effects, I'm hoping since your car didn't have as much damage that the driver behind you managed to brake enough to not hit you so hard.

Merkle - If you can't find time in the earlier/cooler hours, then the treadmill is your next best bet for sure. I'm assuming you're not working on heat acclimation at the moment, so no point in being out there under direct sun light risking heat exhaustion and skin cancer.

Dave - It's virtually impossible to run a PR under those weather conditions. The fact you ran so close to 20 minutes on such a warm day means you can run close to 19:30 any time you decide to run a 5k when the temps are under 60F.

DW - Running on grass and dirt ground is also good for your joints.

Mikkey - I made a mental note to never run in the trails nearby Brighton 😂
          Your boy Tyson Fury will fight Francis Ngannou in October it seems. That sounds like a smart idea, the fight will probably sell well due to the MMA crossover and it will be an easy day in the office for him, unless Francis decapitates him with some unorthodox punch, but that's unlikely.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

I volunteered at my locak 60k/56 mile/99.87 mile race this weekend. I saw the ALMOST last place 55k runners come in (last place was 34 hours), the last 50 milers come in (some took a wrong turn at the last turn. it was night time) and the first 12 100 milers. Such a different crowd. The first 100 milers were asking how many people dropped, as if they can't imagine going through the 90-100F temps a second day like most normal humans.

I might do CIM. I've looked for a bib. I don't really want to pay $200 for it including transfer fees. I think the race was $140-160 at sign up. I'd have to do speed work to do marathon shape.

I volunteered for a few reasons. 1. They sent out an email saying they were 20 people short. 2. I said last year when I finished I'd volunteer to give back. Volunteering gets really old really fast, and this race I heard the runners saying how great the volunteers were. It didn't matter to me, except for knowing I felt the same way last year and its a race filled with experienced people.

52 miles of easy running. A few naked runs where I went by feel instead of looking at the watch for pace guidance. Oddly, my heat acclimation dropped 40 percent according to Garmin. It was the hottest it's been all year this weekend. Just like everywhere else.

Dwave I haven't found a pair of Hoka's i have liked. My friend told me his now cost $180. Ew.

favorite race I can't say I have one. Maybe rowing. I don't usually watch the Olympics. Maybe the sports I don't usually see in America, but I try to watch more YouTube shorts/videos than olympics. It's like the Millennial Version of "This Old House" or "Shade Tree Mechanic."

steve hope you feel better soon.

mmerkle slow down.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

So I ran a 5k yesterday with my son which I was pacing him and he absolutely killed it considering how hot it was factoring the temp and humidity. I set out to pace him at 8:00 for the first two miles but he wasn't having it and kept pushing the pace. He ended up running a 24:20 and I honestly had to work pretty hard the last mile to keep up with him. He ran the last mile in 7:20 with a gradual uphill, which is better than most of the times from his 1-mile XC races this past fall. The only youth runner to beat him was a 12-year-old who is one of the faster middle school runners in our area. Lots of fun watching him blow past many adults late in the race and there was even one guy who started cheering me on yelling "come on dad, you can catch him!"

I knew the impact of the heat would slow him down (76F with dewpoint of 75) and using the below chart, you can see why I tried to scale back the pace to 8:00. So does the below chart work in the inverse to estimate what his pace would have been if we had raced this in November with 50F temps? Seeing how many of the normally fast youth runners struggled in the heat, it just makes me wonder how fast his level of fitness has become. I was squirting him with cold water while we were running so I would put the temp + dewpoint in the 150-160 tier to be fair. That improvement of 5% would give him a time about a full minute faster in cool weather.

Kiwi Point (temp + dew point) pace adjustment:

141 to 150:   3.0% to 4.5% pace adjustment

151 to 160:   4.5% to 6.0% pace adjustment

161 to 170:   6.0% to 8.0% pace adjustment

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

DavePNW

RP - thanks for volunteering! I always think I should do more of that. But it's kind of a hassle to go to races if you're not racing, plus I still have to get a run in. (Although I guess sometimes you can do that on the course?) I do a fair bit of pacing so I suppose I can consider that my volunteer work. I would not want to be an RD - gotta be super stressful to not be sure whether you'll get enough volunteers to adequately support your race. My inbox gets clogged with desperate emails from races needing more volunteers.

If you do decide you want to run CIM, and can't find a bib, post here. There are usually a bunch of people in my running group signed up; of course occasionally people have to bail and may offer up their spot. Sometimes they don't try to get their registration fee back, and you'd just have to pay the transfer fee.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I made a mental note to never run in the trails nearby Brighton 😂
                  Your boy Tyson Fury will fight Francis Ngannou in October it seems. That sounds like a smart idea, the fight will probably sell well due to the MMA crossover and it will be an easy day in the office for him, unless Francis decapitates him with some unorthodox punch, but that's unlikely.

Oh he’s absolutely lovely and wouldn’t hurt a fly. 

How are you coping with the Europe heatwave and are you able to safely run outside?  Us Brits are being advised to cancel holidays incase we burst into flames and if we do venture over then we need to drink plenty of water, put some sun lotion on and stay in the shade…which I think is absolutely invaluable advice. 👍

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/europe-heatwave-british-holidaymakers-changing-100400810.html

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - I'm coping with it by being in the city of Porto, which somehow is at least 5 degrees cooler than everywhere else 😎

It feels like mountain climate in here.

I do not recommend moving here though, just too many Brazilians...

That warning seems to make sense, the Brits don't see the sun most of the year, they don't know how to handle sunlight 😂

On a completely unrelated subject, we went to watch a strongman competition on Sunday, my Lord, them dudes be deadlifting 380kg

That's 840 freedom units for the non initiated on the advanced arts of the metric system.

It was super cool, the soundtrack of heavy Mettalica and Rammstein songs also helped the atmosphere.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - I'm coping with it by being in the city of Porto, which somehow is at least 5 degrees cooler than everywhere else 😎

It feels like mountain climate in here.

I do not recommend moving here though, just too many Brazilians...

That warning seems to make sense, the Brits don't see the sun most of the year, they don't know how to handle sunlight 😂

On a completely unrelated subject, we went to watch a strongman competition on Sunday, my Lord, them dudes be deadlifting 380kg

That's 840 freedom units for the non initiated on the advanced arts of the metric system.

It was super cool, the soundtrack of heavy Mettalica and Rammstein songs also helped the atmosphere.

When I moved from Belfast to London back in the late 80’s (lived in London for 10 years) I met a lot of cool Brazilians, so I’m assuming it’s changed now?  London is gradually being destroyed now and there’s no way back, a bit like Paris. 🤷‍♂️

Check out a really cool guy called Zuby…he’s a rapper, but also into fitness and common sense….he identified as a female for 2 seconds to break the powerlifting female record. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvUM8q21EGs

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Good week.

Flavio - Hooray for another complete week!
                        I might be joining the local gym. What would the most effective overall strength exercises be? Squats, deadlift, benchpress/incline bench?

Steve - I'm glad you're (apparently, mostly) ok. "Towbar" is a new one for me.

Merkle - Solid week. Yes, the heat is killer right now. We'll be fast in the fall, though, right??

Dave - I wouldn't call anything with that grading a "fail", even if it isn't what you wanted.

DWave - Strong work. Even with it being uncomfortable and challenging, how's the not-road work going?

RP - Good for volunteering. Also, they don't hand out buckles for 99.87 mile races, do they? I thought buckles started at 100 miles.

Decent week for me, would have been great had I gotten in a LR, but wlife got in the way.

Weekly for period: From: 07/10/2023 To 07/16/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                        Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                        in ft
                        07/10 Note to self: set your alarm if you need to get up early 8.00 12.88 01:07:48 08:29 05:16 276
                        07/10 Most of it 6.16 9.90 00:52:53 08:35 05:21 213
                        07/11 Trail shoes drain better 11.35 18.27 01:43:55 09:09 05:41 577
                        07/12 4mi progression to M, 2mi HMe, 1mi HMe 16.00 25.75 02:07:15 07:57 04:57 495
                        07/12 Saving one diminutive bluegill 4.10 6.60 00:36:33 08:55 05:32 177
                        07/13 6 rabbits & 1 heron 8.00 12.88 01:14:20 09:18 05:46 289
                        07/13 Foolishness 5.05 8.13 00:47:50 09:28 05:53 210
                        07/14 2 rabbits & 1 bullfrog 11.05 17.79 01:38:51 08:57 05:33 449
                        07/14 Saving a little catfish this time 5.05 8.13 00:45:36 09:02 05:37 197
                        07/15 No distressed fish today 5.05 8.13 00:46:11 09:09 05:41 223
                        07/16 Can one do an easy run on pure hate? 2.25 3.62 00:18:21 08:09 05:04 85

Totals: Time: 11:59:33 - Statute: 82.08 mi - Metric: 132.07 km

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio  - 1 down 20 to go? Yeesh. Good luck with that haha.

mmerkle - I saw that hot death run on Strava and thought it sounded miserable. Not sure about where you are, but the news about people getting burnt from the pavement in Phoenix made it all the way down here to NZ.

Steve - yeah like some of the others it took me a second to register that it was your car that got hit, and not you while out running! Glad it sounds like it was just a bit of a shock and nothing serious.  Always a pain having to get cars fixed though.

Dave - that weather sounds far from ideal even for a 5k. Glad that back issue seems to have resolved itself quickly.

Darkwave - aside from the Hoka Rincon 2, I've not had great experiences in general with Hoka shoes.  Good luck with the trails... I'm certainly finding them to provide a very different training stimulus.

Andy - well done to your son especially in those conditions.

Keen - I'm hoping that was an actual catfish and not the metaphorical variety.  Also, squats, deadlifts, bench press and chin-up will cover 90% of what you need. Maybe some calf raises as well and plyometrics are worthwhile too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

When I moved from Belfast to London back in the late 80’s (lived in London for 10 years) I met a lot of cool Brazilians, so I’m assuming it’s changed now?  

Most are cool, some, like the PCC are not. PCC have been here in Portugal and they're enshitificating the country little by little. The local police are helpless to deal with this level of organized crime. I just hope Portugal is too small of a market that they lose interest over time.

London is gradually being destroyed now and there’s no way back, a bit like Paris. 🤷‍♂️

I'm very curious about the upcoming discussions about the independence of Scotland between a Pakistani and an Indian 😂 How the turns have tabled 😂 (I've intentionally inverted the saying...).

Re: Paris, I was there a couple of months ago, it's really shitty around Gare du Nord, but 3 blocks away from there it's pretty cool still. Same experience in Toulouse and Bordeaux.

Check out a really cool guy called Zuby…he’s a rapper, but also into fitness and common sense….he identified as a female for 2 seconds to break the powerlifting female record. 

LOL that's hilarious and really smart of him, it seems he went from 15K to 120K subscribers after that stunt.

Keen - yeah, those are the big 3. Even though you're obviously freakishly strong, I say start very easy. Your core and legs might be strong, but perhaps your wrists are not yet strong enough to handle a heavy dead lift. So maybe start with just the olympic bar (which is 20kg), then add 10kg on each side for the first day.

Next time add more, but always make sure you can do at least 3x5 reps.

Also, you're adding strength training on top of your 100 mile weeks, so gotta be careful with any new stimuli.

Do pay attention to form.

On the deadlifts, make sure your back is neutral, and that your shoulders are higher than your knees when you start the lift.

Your aim is to push with your heels against the ground. A few weeks of that and it's amazing how you will notice your running form improving just from that hint alone.

With the squats it's the same thing, push against the ground with your heels. One tip my coach gave me was to lift my toes from the ground, so I'm forced to push with the heels and not the forefoot. Also, each person has a position which is more comfortable to squat, usually you might have to place your knees pointing out at a slight diagonal angle, that's normal, just gotta find which range is the most comfortable for your body type. Usually a body weight squat will tell you that.

As Mark alluded, you also need an upper body pull exercise, usually there's a pull up bar available, so pull ups and chin ups are the bread and butter.

Also, every single one of these exercises work your core, so no need to be doing tons of planks nor ab curls.

You can start with these 4 exercises, 3x5 reps each, go easy, come back in about 8 weeks and tell us the amazing gains you have had 😎

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - lol. No, an actual catfish catfish. I was actually surprised to see the fish at all. The little pond they were washed from has dried up completely (from my view from the path, at least) on multiple occasions over the years. I wonder how they could have survived, or if perhaps someone stocked the little pond at some point.

Flavio - Thanks for the help! Maybe with all your tips I'll end up looking like an ultra running version of Brad Pitt in Fight Club. I'll take progress pictures. 

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - thanks for volunteering! I always think I should do more of that. But it's kind of a hassle to go to races if you're not racing, plus I still have to get a run in. (Although I guess sometimes you can do that on the course?) I do a fair bit of pacing so I suppose I can consider that my volunteer work. I would not want to be an RD - gotta be super stressful to not be sure whether you'll get enough volunteers to adequately support your race. My inbox gets clogged with desperate emails from races needing more volunteers.

If you do decide you want to run CIM, and can't find a bib, post here. There are usually a bunch of people in my running group signed up; of course occasionally people have to bail and may offer up their spot. Sometimes they don't try to get their registration fee back, and you'd just have to pay the transfer fee.

I figured I could get a run in if I wanted, or I could just take the day off since I do THAT from time to time now. Pacing is kind of volunteering with getting a run in. I just understand the race can hapen without pacers, but maybe not without clean up crews or award hander outers.

Interestingly....there is a need for pacers in my area according to one group. right about where I have paced. Probably because the organization was extremely rude to a volunteer about showing up 1 hour before a race AFTER the head volunteer called to confirm someone would be there on time.

I'll let you know if I decide on CIM. I know the portal isn't open yet and paying just the registration fee would be cool. Maybe I'd casually run a 2:55:23 to prove Boston is totally faster than CIM and the Newton "Hills" aren't as big of an obstacle as the constant rolling nature of CIM hills. 

Keen I ribbed a runner who was the last sub-24 finisher for posting a 99.87 mile run and not doing the full 100. I handed him his finisher buckle and talked with him for a bit. Thinking about it today, I was wondering if he was slightly sad he had a bad day and didn't get top 3 overall.

Andy I don't think it works that way, but maybe? back calculating for speed in ideal conditions using Kiwi Points should be left up to kiwi's and JMac...although there was once a spreadsheet....

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22