40s+ on the Run - Happy New Year! (Week of 12/30/07) (Read 1379 times)

Leslie--I'm afraid I'm not as well-versed in the world of male strippers as you... Big grin I read what you said about the trailrunner user group, I'll try to join up. Thanks. Bob--I have to wear black shoes to work so I may give the inserts a go. I'm not on my feet all day but I do a fair amount of walking (airline terminals Dead ) Thanks for the tip. Tim C.

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Leslie--I'm afraid I'm not as well-versed in the world of male strippers as you... Big grin I read what you said about the trailrunner user group, I'll try to join up. Thanks. Tim C.
      Well, a girl's gotta have her vices. Actually, saw The Thunder guys in Vegas a few years ago with SIL and a friend and spent most of the time cracking up. It seems the older I get, the funnier that sort of thing is. We're a small group (veeeery small) at Neo Trail Runners, so we'd love to have more people. We started calling ourselves the Neo Trail Runners Extreme Team 'cause we were tired of the "newbie" moniker. Ah, Sheena Easton - "For Your Eyes Only"!! It's a sick pervision, but I love this new station!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - thanks a lot for putting that awful song in my head... Tongue Muzak, ick. I knew the world really was going to end when I heard Prince's "1999" set to elevator music! Tim - try these: http://www.dansko.com/Our_Products/Occupational.aspx All my hospital pals wear them, so I tried a pair and boyhowdy they rock! They are very supportive, and hard as rocks - you would not think they're so nice to your tootsies, but they are. Waiting for the storm here in Central Calif, myself. I've crammed in 24 mi of running in the past 4 days (an entire week's worth), hopefully can get in a few more tomorrow before the heavens really open up. Arla

Ex runner

Top 'O the World!

Oh my! What a gabby group we are today Wink windy!?! did somebody say windy today!?!? LOL! not here though ~ for a change! Ha! & not even so cold for once in a coupla wks Surprised 47* F/31% H - somewhat overcast (inversion thingy!) 6 Mairead miles @ whatever pace was working w/the surface Wink + 45 min. doggy park break....I tell ya she is definitely acclimating to the spoilage! Big grin hmmm, teenagers.....(wispering) glad that's behind me!(fingers crossed under the table as I continue to have my 8 yr old drama queen granddaughter living w/me.....) & w/mine "all grown up" the only sage advice that I really have is: have a sense of humor! you'll need it!! Heidi GlitterKiss
          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            Leslie - thanks a lot for putting that awful song in my head... Tongue Muzak, ick. I knew the world really was going to end when I heard Prince's "1999" set to elevator music! Arla
            ARLA! Olivia Newton John - "I Honestly Love You" That's for you, baby!! Big grin

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Oh yeah?! Well, take this: http://tinyurl.com/2purer MmmMmmm... Arla

Ex runner

woodwoman

For the record - my stripper name: Lady National We are expecting big rain storms here in southern California - I know, I know, the rest of you are contending with ice and snow but we have a big worry about the burn areas. Wow is it dark outside right now and it shouldn't be! Glad I ran earlier. Leslie - we have the same taste in music - I think it's all those Perry Como, Dean Martin, Sinatra LPs my mother played in the early 60s when I was little that affected me. I just discovered Dianne Reeves which I love and downloaded the Julie London complete set - if only I could put on false eyelashes and be a real 60s-era diva. Alas.

flatland mountaineer

Well the hip saga goes on. I have not run for over a week and it feels good but still not right. Called PT yesterday and my trusted gal is on matenity leave until feb. She played NCAA volleyball, not a runner but has an athelete mentality and she knows I won't quit and is the one that put me back together after my wreck. So anyway the receptionist tells me to do my exercises and basically tells me that it is virtually impossible for me to have that kind of problem. I figure out who she is, its a small neighboring town and I know she has no training whatsoever to make that kind of statement. Fine, if your boss the head pt has a free moment could he please call me,"ok but really don't think we can help you." NO response rest of the day, I miss run class and and am extremely bummed. We call up there first thing this morn and get the boss pt looking for advice on how to proceed. I get the" we can't look at you without doctors ok", ya fine not really what I want from you at this point, just tell me if it is possible I have a stress fracture and who do I need to see and what x-rays etc would you expect to be taken. I finally tell him my rodeo and running history and mileage and finally it clicks and that I am serious about this. He finally says it is troublesome to him it has gone on this long and that I could trace it back to a single event so he tells me to have it looked at. Go to the other doc in my small town, this guy ran a 4 min mile in 1968 and still holds the school record here but hasn't ran in years. I get my hip x-rayed, and he tells me its pretty sure not a stress fracture but I need to find a non impact activity like a stationary bike etc. I tell him bluntly if its not broken I am going to run on it. He asks if I want to see an orthopedic surgeon, he was here last week and won't be here again for a month. I get a scrip for celbrex and leave. I did learn from the x-ray tech, a runner herself that stress fractures are really hard to detect with an x-ray and may involve cat scan etc. So what to do, guess I will run and see what happens. I will keep doing my pt exercises for core and pelvic tilt etc and anti inflams or the celebrex.If it is just inflamation I can deal with it. Sorry to unload here, just frustrated and impatient. Its been fun reading about New yrs activites and everyone stripper names, what a hoot. The Wy windsock would apply here also.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

orthopedic surgeon
                    I WOULD try and see the orthopod and consider a workup for a stress fracture given this history. I WOULD push for an MRI and/or a bone scan which are the best way to detect a stress fracture, if you have adequate insurance coverage for this (and you may want to ask your local doc to get the paperwork going now so that this can be precertified). Good luck!

jfa

Geez Farm - sorry to here you're still having hip probs. Seeing the Doc's best .Did you say Xc skiing was helping it? Maybe some Nordictrak time would help.I use my skiier as a warmup device before stretching and running.It kinda sets everything in line for me.Just my two cents. Good Luck Smile Cheers, ~Candy Leathercheeks~ ps. great sign Ms Glitterkiss (if that's your real name)

Arla - I remember the song but not the commercial. What a hoot! Woodwoman - Dianne Reeves? I'll have to look into that one. I have Tony Bennett box set, a couple of Dean Martin CDs, coupla Sinatra CDs, Steven Tyrell . . . I was born in the wrong era. Farmer Jim - I'd push the point re the MRI. YOU know somethings wrong, and the doc ISN'T always right. I'm just worried that if it is a stress fracture and you continue to run, you could do even more serious damage and then really be laid up for awhile. Has the cold weather made it worse? Can you x-country ski or something less impacting until you find out for sure? My hub had a really, really bad hip problem about 2 years ago. Got to a point where he could hardly walk. They thought it was his bursa sac, etc. Nothing every really showed up, but I do know that with anti-inflams and PT, he slowly got better. It was the weirdest thing. I would say exhaust all possible avenues of detecting what's wrong (if you can afford it, of course) so that at least YOU know you've done your best. And we don't mind you venting here. We've all done it, and that's what we're hear for, 'cause we know how frustrated we'd be if it were one of us going through the same thing. <good>>> for finding out what the he!! is going on!!! Can anybody tell me how to get back to my list of avatars so that I can change it if I want? Thanks! Signing Off: Candy Dazzlethighs (They're dazzling all right - dazzling white!!!)</good>

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Ok, now I'm either officially a runner,or officially certifiable! Confused Up and out the door at O'silly:30 this morning. In the dark, and ONLY 12*f !!!! Shocked I somehow,through all the great advice here,managed to dress correctly.Only my toes were cold ,from wearing one pair of cotton socks.It was a good run down the beach road and back for ~6.5 miles.One thing though.If I'm crazy enough to be out there in those conditions,can't the cars stay home!?!?!I somehow had the notion that the road would be empty(silly me .I have been doing all my very early runs at the school with no cars ).Oh well .... TGIF everyone!!!!

Good frosty morning 40's! It's nice to see everyone chattering away here. I haven't run this week. Been trying to get over a cold/cough thing and it's been pretty chilly here in TX. Think I'm going to try something light at the gym today and see how that goes. R2, where is the pain in your hip? What types of movement bother it? You may not want to hear this, but several weeks of rest (no running and limit anything that puts pressure on the area) may very well be what you need. It was for me, and my hip is soooooo much better. As I read about different things it might be, including a femoral neck stress fracture, the overwhelming prescription seemed to be rest....for all of them. After 3 weeks of rest, but still not able to run without significant pain/limp, I went to the doc (just a GP, but a runner himself). He added an anti-inflam and prescribed another 3 weeks of rest, then some range of motion exercises and ease back into running. Frustrated as I was, I have to say he was right, as was the trainer at the gym, as was my husband, etc. It's just that rest is the last thing you want to hear when your all charged up on running or aiming for a particular goal. Guess I missed the fun with the stripper names, but it's been a hoot reading everyone's!
                            Progress Trumps Pefection

Top 'O the World!

Just so nobody has to miss out..... c'mon everbody! Check in w/your "real name!" Wink
                              Okay - This is too funny not to share. Find your stripper name: 1. Use the third letter of your first name to determine your new first name: > > a = Fantasia > > b = Chesty > > c = Starr > > d = Diamond > > e = Montana > > f = Angel > > g = Sugar > > h = Mimi > > i = Lola > > j =Kitty > > k = Roxie > > l = Dallas > > m = Princess > > n = Heidi > > o = Bambi > > p = Bunny > > q = Brandy > > r = Sugar > > s = Candy > > t = Raquelle > > u = Sapphire > > v = Cinnamon > > w = Blaze > > x = Trixie > > y = Isis > > z = Jade 2. Use the second letter of your last name to determine the first half of your new last name: > > a = Leather > > b = Dream > > c = Sunny > > d = Deep > > e = Heaven > > f = Tight > > g = Shimmer > > h = Velvet > > i = Lusty > > j = Harley > > k = Passion > > l = Dazzle > > m = Dixon > > n = Spank > > o = Glitter > > p = Razor > > q = Meadow > > r = Glitz > > s = Sparkle > > t = Sweet > > u = Silver > > v = Tickle > > w = Cherry > > x = Hard > > y = Night > > z = Amber 3. Use the third letter of your last name to determine the second half of your new last name: > > a = hooter > > b = horn > > c = tower > > d = fire > > e = thighs > > f = hips > > g = side > > h = jugs > > i = shock > > j = ****er > > k = brook > > l = tush > > m = sizzle > > n = ridge > > o = kiss > > p = bomb > > q = cream > > r = thong > > s = heat > > t = whip > > u = cheeks > > v = rock > > w = hiney > > x = button > > y = lick > > z = juice
                              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Top 'O the World!

Leslie: "options" in the upper RH corner > "forum preferences" > select avatar!........+ I remember the commercial! you can have a gander @ several other old commercials on TVLD channel!! along w/old Little Rascals, Leave It To Beaver, I Dream of Jeannie, etc.... got any Lemmon Sisters? Jim Nabors?? My mom was into nostalgic in her day too.....which puts some of my vinyl 78's! Shocked