Cortisone Shot (Read 84 times)

I know cortisone shots are not good for you, but for the medical peeps, do you know if an ER or urgent care would give a cortisone shot?  Between what I'm experiencing and discussion with my PT over a week ago. I'm pretty sure I have ischial bursitis syndrome on the right and I can hardly sit at this point.  The exercises he gave me and icing and ibu are doing nothing, I don't know when I'll be able to get into a doc, and I have an 8-hr ride in my future come Thursday.  I'm grasping at straws, but I don't want to spend the $$ for an ER / urgent care visit if they're going to tell me they can't do anything.

Let me add, where I live it can up to 2 to 4 weeks to get into a doctor, unless it's your primary.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Rich Roll Podcast

Trail Runner Nation

Billy Yang Podcasts

Best Present Ever

Pretty unlikely to get the cortisone shot in either place.   And honestly, you don't want someone who doesn't do a lot of these.  FWIW, I've had luck getting in quickly by calling and getting an appointment (often a month or more away) with the specialized running clinic.  I then call every morning and ask if they've had a cancellation.

Thank you ~~

Leslie
        -------------

Rich Roll Podcast

Trail Runner Nation

Billy Yang Podcasts

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

No.  Urgent care centers or ERs will not do a cortisone shot.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Thanks for the info ~~

Leslie
            -------------

Rich Roll Podcast

Trail Runner Nation

Billy Yang Podcasts

Train SMART

I know cortisone shots are not good for you, but for the medical peeps, do you know if an ER or urgent care would give a cortisone shot?  Between what I'm experiencing and discussion with my PT over a week ago. I'm pretty sure I have ischial bursitis syndrome on the right and I can hardly sit at this point.  The exercises he gave me and icing and ibu are doing nothing, I don't know when I'll be able to get into a doc, and I have an 8-hr ride in my future come Thursday.  I'm grasping at straws, but I don't want to spend the $$ for an ER / urgent care visit if they're going to tell me they can't do anything.

Let me add, where I live it can up to 2 to 4 weeks to get into a doctor, unless it's your primary.

I have had bursitis and tendonitis in this area. Definitely have a sports doc or ortho do this. Some may be reluctant. Could you have a tendonitis component too? Overuse etc. Be careful, as I had both issues and then developed into tendonopathy and a 7 year deal of chronic pain and soreness in that area. I know what you're feeling-not fun! BTW, cortisone helped me a lot but after a 30 day failure on NSAIDS but issues came back which is why I ask if there may be a tendonitis component.

Run Coach. Creator of SMART Approach Training.

Pelvis was a bit off kilter, which resulted in a stress on the right hamstring, which resulted in the bursitis.  Only I didn't know it could possibly be bursitis until my PT had worked on eliminating all other possibilities.  The hamstring issue is resolving to a certain degree, but I suspect it would get even better if the bursitis wasn't an issue.  I'm desperate for some relief because I can barely sit at this point.  Makes me wish my office had followed through on a stand/sit desk option as requested. 

Leslie
                -------------

Rich Roll Podcast

Trail Runner Nation

Billy Yang Podcasts

HappyFeat

Have you tried sitting on a heating pad? That was one of the last things I tried and finally turned the corner on the problem awhile back. The problem was gone for several years, but lately I've had a few times I felt like it's coming back.  So I use the heating pad again and things get better.  It was a suggestion to me from a fellow ischial bursitis sufferer.  (I tried everything except the shot.) Hope you get a handle on it soon.

Go as long as you can, and then take another step.