MP3 Player on races: Tune in or ou? (Read 1259 times)

I am seeking the opinion of more experienced runners. How do you feel about wearing MP3 players on long races? Or should it be limited only to training and the treadmill? Are there rules agains it on races? Thanks, Rei Manneck Cool

Smile when you're ready!!
      Leave the MP3 at home. Half the fun of racing is talking with your fellow runners. I sometimes train with a Shuffle & think they can relieve the monotony of a long run but, I don't think they should be used at races. Drink in the experience without the soundtrack. Some races do prohibit the use of MP3's & the like. Although in the half marathon I ran in September there were plenty of people wearing them even though it was verboten.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know it was forbidden at some of the races I've done, but I would have liked to have had one during the last 4 miles of my HM (after the marathoners I'd been chatting with for most of the race had split off). I was running mostly by myself and other runners had players, so I had no one to talk to, anyhow. I find that in the few weeks that I've had my Nano that I really enjoy my runs more. It adds variety to otherwise monotonous routes and helps make even semi-crummy runs a little more enjoyable. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

There is a very long thread on this very topic around here somewhere. If the customer service around here was decent, we'd have a search function by now. (Oops. Forgot I'm not in the 2000 club, so a disclaimer is necessary. The above is sarcasm. Under "s" in your dictionary.) Anyway, that long thread that I can't find can be summed up like this: 1. Yeah - most races (or at least most long races) prohibit iPods. 2. That rule is rarely, if ever, enforced; in most races it seems like half the people are wearing headphones, no matter what the rules say. 3. Do whatever you want, but at least give NO music a try on race day. You might be pleasantly surprised. You might have more fun. You might make a friend. 4. And if you wear the 'pod ... keep the volume low enough so you don't cause trouble. That's a good rule. Not following it is a good way NOT to make friends As for me (repeating what it's in that long lost thread), I always, always wear the iPod ... and almost never actually USE the iPod. Nice to have the option at mile 23 of a hard marathon, but it doesn't get much use. Like most things ... experiment for yourself. Your musical mileage may vary.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Go Pre!

I wear the pod for Races of 8k or more but like Jake said, it doesn't get much use. Sometimes not at all but there have been a few races where i put it on for a few minutes to get a groove going and took it off for the return to the lively race atmoshphere. Zoomy, I did have it for my HM - wore it for the first 5 minutes and again from mile 10-12 only to have it off for the thrill of the finish. Can you imagine doing a run with the original Sony Walkman? you would need a napsack! Dad-o
              One day a week I like to just strip down to nothing (welll, except my clothes :-D). That is, don't wear HR monitor, MP3 player, watch, pedometer, nadda. If the race allows it, do whichever you like. I like to use mine and then turn it off for a while to talk/chat, or just listen to the environment, and then put it back in for the last few miles to bring me home.
              Kate ;) "The pain of regret is greater than the pain of self discipline."
                I never run with music anyway, but in a race one of the things I love most is that sound of hundreds of feet hitting pavement - it's its own kind of music. My breathing and my feet are all the sound I go with.
                1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."
                sabershooter

I think it's funny when you look at a race's web site and it clearly says that headphones are prohibitted, but most of the promo pictures on the site show runners wearing them. Sometimes I wear them, sometimes I don't. If that's what you want to do, then don't listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. What I really hate is when people break the no baby joggers rule. As you can tell, I am comfortable with arbitrary enforcement of the rules based on my own preferences. I'm an American dammit!

Now that was a bath...

Hey I am so glad that you posted this. I have my first race in 6 days and I ALWAYS run with music. Whilst I expect to enjoy the atmosphere I also don't expect to be running the 12K at a conversational pace so I see no benefit in not having my music as conversation won't be an option. I am still undecided as to what I will do. I do know that I will take it with me and see what others are doing though. It's only a small race on a small island and I think they usually have about 80 people running the 12K section that I am doing. I would guess that the crowd will disperse quite quickly and that I may well find myself running alone. If that's the case - I want my music! Claire xxx
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                    JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

I always have mine and its usually on. I can pull out an ear if I want to talk, but usually I don't. I like to be in my own head and not listening to the 'pound, pound, pound' of all the feet. Maybe it's because I am the slowest person on the Earth and therefore out on the run longer that anyone else. Smile Although, the way I figure it, I always win....as it takes me longer. Good luck! J My iPod (now shuffle) is usually way, way down or off at the beginning when everyone is all squished together and feeling excited. The chatter is fun to be apart of...
                      "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

still alive

The prohibition of earphones during a race is a legality to avoid lawsuits in case someone gets injured. I have never seen a race enforce this. That being said, I cannot imagine racing with my ipod. I love to train with it, but I enjoy talking with others during my races. As a matter of fact, I get kind of annoyed when I come up beside someone and they can't hear me because they have music blaring in their ears.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Oh, dear! If you come up on me, Gregin ND, then give me elbow and I'll know that it's you and we can chat. Smile Although, I'd imagine that you'd be long gone and way past me. I must clarify that I always have my music down so that I can hear what's happening. It isn't safe to only hear the music. Happy Running, J
                          "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."

Cryptic

still alive

Very interesting article. Thanks.

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

vicentefrijole

I say "live and let live" as long as you're not a danger to others. I don't wear an iPod (for training or racing... too distracting for me!) but I can understand why people like them. I do share the opinion of a number of folks on this thread that everyone should try racing without one at least once... you might like the feeling you get from really being part of the event. I do.. it's my favorite part of running. Big grin Another warning for any new +iPod runners: make sure you're comfortable wearing one! I ran behind a guy in a marathon last spring who was wearing an iPod and ear-buds.. we were moving pretty fast but he kept fiddling with the ear-buds and the iPod... I guess he just couldn't get it comfortable. After about 5 miles he suddenly cut off the road, tossed his iPod and all into a bush, and kept running. This was a small marathon (and we were in front of the biggest pack) so only a few people saw it happen but I still wonder if it was there when he went back for it! Shocked