Goal of sub 1:40 half. (Read 3802 times)

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Nice effin Job! Sounds like you really knocked this one out of the park - trained smart and consistent, ran a smart and hard race and WHAMMO!

Prince of Fatness

Nice job Mark.  That picture of you finishing says it all.  Congratulations.

Not at it at all. 

Nice job kmark. Would you say 7:30s pace felt much easier in the race then it would in training?

I ran 13.1 mile training run this morning in 1:51:41 or 8:32 pace.

The middle miles were a struggle but I would always get a 2nd wind and feel better.

Its hard to stay focused on long training runs like this.

The 13th mile I ran in 7:30 to test the legs. 1:35-1:36 seems out of my range right now.

20 days till race day. I intend to go sign up this afternoon. Then there is no turning back.

congratulations mark!!!  hope you celebrated in style!

Wow! What a great result for your hard work!

Take care of that toe!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

lap

Excellent work, Mark.  Congratulations.

And consider sizing up a half size or so.  That might help with your toes.

I weighed myself before and after my 13.1 mile training run this morning. I brought a 16 ounce bottle of water to drink during the run as it was not that hot this morning.

Before the run I weighed 146 and after the run I weighed 139 pounds.

So let that be a lesson to you long distance runners...you must really drink a lot of water to stay hydrated.

xor

Ok, mateys, I ran a 1:36:03 today.  Had the race been chip timed, it would have been a 1:35Tight lippedx.

Alrighty then.

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

Awesome job Lopez. Is that your RR or is more info on the way?
                      Awesome job Lopez. Is that your RR or is more info on the way?

He's a phantom, an apparition, second cousin to Harvey the rabbit.  I conjured him out of thin air. He doesn't exist, except on paper...

Alrighty then

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

kmark .. awesome job on the sub 1:40 but those pics just were not necessary ... damn

6 Days till the Erie half ... damn.  I was thinking 1:45 like you but I guess should lay 1:40 on the line... or 1:39:35!

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Nice job kmark. Would you say 7:30s pace felt much easier in the race then it would in training?

The middle miles were a struggle but I would always get a 2nd wind and feel better.

The 13th mile I ran in 7:30 to test the legs. 1:35-1:36 seems out of my range right now.

20 days till race day. I intend to go sign up this afternoon. Then there is no turning back.

Thanks all,

The pace did feel easier for the first 10k, the next 6k felt about the same effort wise as my training at HM pace until about 16k then it was much harder.  In my training I had run 3 10k tempos at HM pace and I feel that really helped me get an idea of the pace, and whether or not I was in any shape to take a run at this 1:40.

As for the toe, it is not a shoe size thing, theres plenty of room in the toe box, The nail on that 4th foot was just not trimmed quite right and I think once it got caught in my other toe it just stayed in there and dug in.  I think it looks a lot worse than it really was but I had to post pictures for entertainment sake.

SMART Approach

I got it!

Gun Time : 1;39:37

Chip Time: 1:39:30

Before the race I would have given myself a 50-50 chance. Training had gone well over the summer, even with vacations etc.. but this being my first half really didn't have an idea of what to expect.

Great job Kmark. You ran a smart race and did not start too fast.  The end of the race pace will always feel tougher as hydration levels drop and glycogen drops but this is where the power of the mind and body take over. You did well, Kudos!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

One thing I am concerned about is the opening of the race.

I am expecting at least 1,000 runners...maybe 1,300 runners or more.

The opening will be crowded.

I assume I will be able to start near the front but a couple hundred runners could get ahead of me by starting too fast. Will this 1st mile time be slow because I will have to fight through runners?

SMART Approach

Michigan,

Sometime in the the next couple weeks you have to have "THE ATTITUDE" you can do your goal. You have doubt. Training is training. A race is A RACE where you go all balls out. Training gives you a tool and gives confidence but race pace during a race vs. during training is different. A few years back about 8 days before half marathon race day I planned to do 5 miles at goal pace or around 7:00 min pace.  I was at 4 miles averaging 7:05 pace and I backed off because it was too hard for me. It didn't feel right and didn't want to push through. On race day I ran day I averaged 7:04 for first 10 miles (7:13 for first mile and eased in and felt great) and 6:45 pace for last 3 miles on guts alone and finished at 6:58 pace  and reached my goal on 22 miles per weeks. You can do 1:36:00. You are fit enough. Believe it!!!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com