Goal of sub 1:40 half. (Read 3802 times)

xor

Alright, I ran a 1:36:03 six days ago and a 1:35:27 today.

Woohoo woohoo!

Nice work!!!!

No news from Buckeye yet? 

Nice work!!!!

No news from Buckeye yet? 

Hey guys .... Sorry its been a long day. 

It was a bad race, but a good day!

Wake up at 4:00Am ... out the door at 4:30 for 1.5 hr drive to Presque Isle.  even though left early not early enough and was a bit rushed to get packet, bathroom, back to car to drop off shirt/goody bag, etc, check in bag (needed change of clothes for 2nd loop).

Anyways .... Ran a 1:46:45.  Had a decent but not spectacular first 5 miles; Second 5 was alright and actually PR'd a prorated 10 miler by almost 45 seconds @ 1:19:15, Miles 11 and 12 kind of mailed it in as was not feeling it; decent mile 13 piucking up pace a little.

One of reasons I switched to Erie was Labrat and SkeeterMC were running so glad I got to meet them today.  Ended running about 9.5 miles of second lap with SkeeterMC as she finished her second Marathon!  So hopefully helping her a little on that second lap defintly made up for my short comings in my half.

Although can be only so dissapointed with a 9 minute reduction in PR from 5 months ago and a 19 reduction in time compared to 1st marathon almost extacly 1 yr ago...and not to mention to get in a combined 23+ miles in, plus 2 miles walking back on course (heck 25 miles I should have ran the whole thing!)

Sub 1:40 looks like it will wait for Spring ....... That and finally losing my 20 lbs of extra baggae should do it.

MTA -- Here were actual (well based on garmin which was longer the course all day) as do not have energy for normal race report tonight.

Distance Duration Notes
        1 Mi 7:41.47 Mi 1 - Very conjested start. started what felt too far up for me, but based on projected times and last few yrs results the 10th row looked about right. Must have passed 50 runners the 1st half mile (sorry ladies ... 90% women who were running like 9:00 - 10:00 pace and not sure why thought the first few rows was a good place to be).
        1 Mi 7:48.62 Mi 2 - Finally some free space and trying to hit planned 7:45 groove.
        1 Mi 7:49.15 mi 3 - same as mile 2 still feeling good.
        1 Mi 7:53 Mi 4 - starting to look like 7:50 - 8:00 is more the range of the day. Trying to follow advice of run "half marathon effort" pace and this feels a better range.
        1 Mi 8:04.81 Mi 5 - 8:00 give or take on some waterbreaks, which for some reason the water breaks did more harm of breaking rythym than good.
        1 Mi 8:01.3 Mi 6 - just not feeling it today and at this point around 7:52 overall. This puts me like 45 seconds above min pace needed for 1:40 ... aint happening today.
        1 Mi 7:55.1 mi 7 -- actually feel good and only mile just running "in the zone" ... then Gu station and water right before Mi 7. I had my own GU but the chaos just semed to increase effort and never got it back after this point.
        1 Mi 8:08.88 Mi 8 -- counting down 5 miles to finish and no 1:40 is out the window and try to hang onto < 1:45
        1 Mi 8:11.43 Mi 9 - steady 8:05 - 8:10 next two miles as this feels like "the new pace"
        1 Mi 8:11.77 Mi 10 -- Pretty sure PRd 10 mile mark, but at this point I kind of mailed it in. Not sure the disappointment of coming no where close to sub 1:40; My other half in two weeks; My Martahon in 5 weeks; My planned 6 mile second half loop after the full; but I just did not have the drive to really "finish" this race... At this point I felt like I stopped racing and just wanted to finsh.
        1 Mi 8:25.85 Mile 11 - OK knew half goals were blown and doing the math probably looking 1:46 +
        1 Mi 8:26.94 Mile 12 - same as mile 11 no fade ... just no drive to get pace back.
        1 Mi 8:16.25 Mile 13 - Finished a little better mile 13 , which I guess is good as did not want to go above 1:47.
        0.24 Mi 1:52.91 Overall Garmin was long on all markers, which actually Labrats garmin also measured 13.24 the exact as mine. Ohh well either course was long or our garmins were consistentaly off. Finished last .25 mile pretty good with a strong finish but no real kick. Was not going to sprint by people running a full marathon to get a 1:46:45 (official chip time as 2 -3 sec off clock).

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Good luck Buckeye Fan!

I wonder if you are up late watchiing your Buckeyes play USC?

Just go out nice and within yourself and the splits will be what they are.

I agree with your goals to hold back till you get to around the halfway mark.

Have fun! Look forward to hearing how it went and some pointers from you.

Thanks .. watched 1st half and was content with 10 - 10 score (despite tressell blowing clock mgmt last 1:15 of 1st half, it just amazes me how many pts teams give up last 2 minutes of halves).  Actually slept like a baby for 6 hrs before having to get up at 4:00AM.

"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it Great!

Buckeye your 22:47 5k PR and more recent 47:14 10k PR

When you plug them into McMillan running calculator it gives you a half mary time of:

1:45:19 and 1:45:06 respectively.

And you ran a 1:46:45.....I am surprised McMillan did a pretty bang up job with the estimate.

It just looks like you started a hair to fast...McMillan suggested 8:02 half mary pace and you went out in 7:48 or so.

If I was to follow McMillans advise now....based on my current 5k fitness of 20:30

I should be able to run

1:34:46 or 7:14 pace. So I think I am good to go out with the 7:30 pacers for a few miles then take off. If I make a slight error of going out too fast as I probably will then I could fall about 100 seconds shy of McMillan as you did. That would put me in the mid 1:36s. I would take that all day long. I need 7:24 pace to get under 1:37. I think starting slower than goal pace could yield some good results...dare I say a negative split? Ok that is doubtful since....During my training 10 miler today I just have a feeling that at 9 or 10 miles the wheels could start to fall off the wagon as started to happen to you today. A lot of time can be lost unless I bear down at the 9-10 mile mark.

Easier said than done of course.

Nice PR...now you know you have to break 1:45 next time....Not really a bad run for you. I knew you

were not in 1:40 shape from your 5k time and I think you knew it too. Keep running and having fun!

One of the race directors sent me the following e-mail advise.

"The USATF certification requirements do include a 0.001% 'short course prevention factor'. This adds 1 meter per each 1,000 meters over the 21.0975km course."

He also said it was good advise to run the tangents because it is surprising how many runners do not.

My thoughts are over the course of a 5k that may not be alot but over a half marathon you could be running an extra 0.13 miles (Buckeye noted he ran 13.24 miles and I think one would be lucky to get under 13.2 miles in a race). But it may be possible to shave 20-30 seconds by paying attention to all the tangents in a half marathon that has many turns and twists by adhering to the tangents as best as possible.

Misplaced runner...

Good job at Skagit Flats Robert!  You looked to be pushing pretty hard as you approached the photographer on the return. 

I was in at 1:43, which is probably what I should have expected, but was really hoping to be down around 1:41 or so.  My PR out there is 1:38.  Obviously my layoff affected me more than I anticipated and training to date was certainly short of optimal.

At any rate, I was glad to not be running the full out there yesterday as the sun was warming things up nicely, even as we finished.

tim 

Current focus: Texas Med Run 10k (2/3/18) and Bayou City Classic 10k (3/17/18).

One of the race directors sent me the following e-mail advise.

"The USATF certification requirements do include a 0.001% 'short course prevention factor'. This adds 1 meter per each 1,000 meters over the 21.0975km course."

He also said it was good advise to run the tangents because it is surprising how many runners do not.

My thoughts are over the course of a 5k that may not be alot but over a half marathon you could be running an extra 0.13 miles (Buckeye noted he ran 13.24 miles and I think one would be lucky to get under 13.2 miles in a race). But it may be possible to shave 20-30 seconds by paying attention to all the tangents in a half marathon that has many turns and twists by adhering to the tangents as best as possible.

The short course prevention factor is actually 0.1% but that should only add another 0.013 miles (about 6 seconds at my pace).  However I agree not running the shortest distance could add quite a lot too.  Either way the Garmin error factor means I tend to pay more attention to the race markers than the Garmin unless there's a good reason to believe they are wrong.

I'm racing on Sunday - but given recent training I expect I'll be aiming more at 1.50 than 1.40 Sad

xor

Good job at Skagit Flats Robert!  You looked to be pushing pretty hard as you approached the photographer on the return. 

I was in at 1:43, which is probably what I should have expected, but was really hoping to be down around 1:41 or so.  My PR out there is 1:38.  Obviously my layoff affected me more than I anticipated and training to date was certainly short of optimal.

At any rate, I was glad to not be running the full out there yesterday as the sun was warming things up nicely, even as we finished.

tim 

Ha.  I was just trying to stick with my rabbit... the gal who eventually came in 2nd overall female (1st overall female was 15+ minutes in front, and was the 3rd finisher overall of either gender... Susan Empey).  I don't remember where that photographer was, but I do remember the last 4 miles being quite challenging.

I actually enjoy the heat, but I'm glad I wasn't running the full either.  I did go back out and run in with a friend who was having a very long day.  Wound up doing 19 miles total yesterday.

The logical side of me is saying I should try to run 7:30 splits from the beginning following the pacer(s) if there is one (I was told there will be a 7:30 pacer)....and just follow the pacer at least through the halfway point. If I feel good then start to go ahead of the pacer at this point. Or if I am still feeling close to my limit just follow the pacer to the 10 mile mark.

It seems to me 10 miles in 75 minutes would not be harmful to me and should be fairly easy (by fairly easy I mean I will not feel like Death itself - of course I expect it will be uncomfortable). This takes alot of pressure off of me to guess my speed level in my 1st half marathon. I should be able to run a sub 1:38 without too much trouble so why go for the GOLD in my 1st race when I have no idea how to run these things? I could do alot of damage going out too fast. Letting a pacer get me to the 10 mile mark in a time I know I can achieve will take a lot of worry out of me. I can then enjoy most of the run.

With 5k left I can then run that in 23 minutes to go below 1:38.

Now if I want to get below 1:37 which I consider a gold medal time for me then I will have to leave the pacers around the halfway mark. So my latest plan is stay with 7:30 pacers for at least half the race then regauge my position once i get there.

Prince of Fatness

Letting a pacer get me to the 10 mile mark in a time I know I can achieve will take a lot of worry out of me. I can then enjoy most of the run.

Just don't assume that the pacer will run even splits.

Not at it at all. 

xor

Sorry I haven't found the magic post which would tell me... Michigan, what race are you running on 9/26 or 9/27?  If it is a race I know, I might be able to give you some pacer info. 

SMART Approach

The logical side of me is saying I should try to run 7:30 splits from the beginning following the pacer(s) if there is one (I was told there will be a 7:30 pacer)....and just follow the pacer at least through the halfway point. If I feel good then start to go ahead of the pacer at this point. Or if I am still feeling close to my limit just follow the pacer to the 10 mile mark.

It seems to me 10 miles in 75 minutes would not be harmful to me and should be fairly easy (by fairly easy I mean I will not feel like Death itself - of course I expect it will be uncomfortable). This takes alot of pressure off of me to guess my speed level in my 1st half marathon. I should be able to run a sub 1:38 without too much trouble so why go for the GOLD in my 1st race when I have no idea how to run these things? I could do alot of damage going out too fast. Letting a pacer get me to the 10 mile mark in a time I know I can achieve will take a lot of worry out of me. I can then enjoy most of the run.

With 5k left I can then run that in 23 minutes to go below 1:38.

Now if I want to get below 1:37 which I consider a gold medal time for me then I will have to leave the pacers around the halfway mark. So my latest plan is stay with 7:30 pacers for at least half the race then regauge my position once i get there.

I think this strategy is just fine if you have worries. This is safe. It is your first so why stress over it. If feeling good with 5K left you should be able to run sub 22 min for the last 5K with your speed. When I was in 19:40 5K shape on less miles than you, I ran a 20:15 last 5K at end of my last half. You just need to dig deep.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Just don't assume that the pacer will run even splits.

There will be about 1200 runners so the 7:30 pacer shouldn't have too many obstacles. I do realize the pacer could go 7:35, 7:30, 7:25 for the 1st three miles....I am pretty sure they won't go 7:45, 7:15 because they have to be smarter than that. But I will have backup plans if the pacer goes out at 8 minute mile pace...I am going to know where the half mile mark is in the race and possibly 1/.4 mile to check our splits.

Sorry I haven't found the magic post which would tell me... Michigan, what race are you running on 9/26 or 9/27?  If it is a race I know, I might be able to give you some pacer info. 

Sept. 27 in Lansing. Capital City River Run its the 3rd year they have run the 13.1 distance.