Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2020 (Read 618 times)

watsonc123

Some nice weeks in here.

I did zero.  My cold has taken longer to recover then hoped. I did do some running with football refereeing my 9 year old's team for 36 minutes on a small field.  Plus my 12 year old on a full size field for 60 minutes.

My 9 year old was in our local area (Upper Hutt) inter-school cross country yesterday.  She came 8th in the girls school year 5 race (circa 2km), which qualified her for regional championship (greater Wellington) in September.  It was the first top 10 finish for any of my children in this event.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

One of the other issues with the Garminocalypse, is that I can no longer create workouts in Connect to sync to the watch.

So today I was searching Github for a ready made solution and found this (https://github.com/benzonico/WorkoutCreator).

It lets me write the workouts on a text file and then it converts it to a FIT workout file that can be uploaded to the Garmin watch at the Workouts folder.

So I cloned that repository and managed to create a few workouts. I still can't figure out how to add notes to workouts, nor how to set the intensity, but it's a start. I was hoping I could adjust that solution so it becomes a web page that everyone could use, cause creating workouts on the Garmin page is a bore. We'll see.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Zebano - I usually have to do a short course of pred about 1-2 times a year.  In my experience, it definitely jacks up the HR some.  I hope the shoulder improves quickly - you don't realize how much of a role your shoulders play in running until you hurt one.

Don't know how much you're on, but expect to feel run down for a day or two when you come off of it.  I'm assuming you're on it for no more than 5 days, so you won't have to taper off.

As for Coros watches, a friend recommended them to me, but...the Garmin watches have all the functionalities I want (wrist-based HR is not something I particularly care about) while the Coros is lacking some.  Additionally, my personal preference is NOT to invest in devices that require me to have a smart phone.  I tend to go years and years before replacing a phone, which sometimes means newer apps don't work on my phone.  Which is fine, unless I need that app to manage the watch/device.

Plus, as DCRainmaker noted in his post about the Garmin outage - it's really nice to be able to plug your watch into your computer and just pull the file directly, without needing to rely on anything being online.  Garmin lets you do that; many other watches don't.  The Garmin outage has honestly been a very minor inconvenience for me, where as a similar outage with a device that didn't allow one to directly pull from it via USB would be a lot more frustrating.

Watson - feel better soon!  That is a weird sole on those Asics.

Marky-Mark - Not surprised about the fatigue after the MP run - that's not an all-out workout, but still a pretty big one.  Good timing for some recovery.

Piwi - nice balance to your week.

James D - the Amish comment made me smile.

Marco - good to see you checking in!

Steve - good luck on the race!

Flavio - nice week, and interesting about the workaround for uploading workouts.  And yup, I believe you have to renounce any other citizenship if you get US citizenship (which kinda rubs me the wrong way, to be honest).

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As for me, more rebuilding and working on using both legs evenly.  The left leg is weaker than the right, but...unlike before, it feels like it listens better, if that makes any sense.  I just need to build it back up.   The "workouts" I did this week were not about aerobic fitness, but about trying to use both legs evenly in different situations.

46 miles, 1800 yards of swimming, 2:30 pool-running.
          M: 55 minutes of pool-running and streaming yoga.
          T: 8 miles easy (9:15), upper body weights/core, and streaming yoga.
          W: 5.5 miles easy (9:31), streaming yoga, and 5.5 miles easy (9:07) plus drills and four gentle hill strides
          Th: upper body weights/core, 55 minutes of pool-running, and streaming yoga.
          F: 8 miles, including 6 gentle hill repeats (2:00 up a 5% incline at slightly faster than easy pace, with 3:00 recovery), followed with 1800 yards swimming and streaming yoga.
          Sa: 8 miles aerobic (8:57) (too hot to call easy), streaming yoga, and 40 minutes of pool-running.
          Su: 11 miles, including a mild progression of 3 miles averaging 9:18 pace, 3 miles averaging 8:34 pace, 3 miles averaging 7:34 pace, and then jog. Should note that I did take quite a few breaks during this run - any time I started to run unevenly, I tried to fix it. If I couldn't, I stopped and did some marching drills to try to reset an even gait.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

BTW, paging Commander Keen - guru of all things Stryd (or anyone else who can claim this title).

So...I had one of the original Stryds, and then upgraded to one that included wind.  What was odd was that there was a notable difference in the power reported by the two Stryds - around 20 watts difference for the same effort on the same route in the same shoes.  And all the metrics also started telling me that I was very inefficient and ineffective in my running, where as before they were telling me how great I was.

Opened up a ticket with Stryd, never got a satisfactory response.  So just decided to ignore it - I just look at the power data for fun and don't train by it, so whatever the absolute values are don't matter to me.

But then...fast forward to now, and my new watch.  I haven't been able to install Stryd on the new watch, since Garmin Connect is down.  But I've been running and uploading to Runalyze to graph my right/left ground contact balance.

And....I note that I am getting power readings in Runalyze.  And they are consistent with the previous power readings I saw from the second Stryd.  Even though Stryd is not installed on new watch (Garmin 735) and I am not wearing the footpod when I run.

Any idea what is going on here?  I shouldn't be getting any power readings since (to the best of my knowledge) Garmin does not have a power function built in unless you wear their foot pod.

I'm wondering if the problem with the second Stryd was actually not in the Stryd at all, but in Garmin coming up with power values.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - congrats! Are all Italian citizenships that easy or was it your familial connection? The US is a complete pain to be become a citizen, takes years.

Piwi - one Daniels thing on 5K reps that may help you and is simple: jog recovery time should be the same as your interval time. So if 5K pace was 3:30 for example, and you were doing 1K repeats, you should do 3:30 slow jog recoveries. Still hard but I find the ratios work well

Mark - interesting MP took so much out of you, although it makes a lot of sense. I will say with marathon training I feel like death until about 5 weeks to go. Then it all comes together.

Watson - congrats on your daughter. You guys have a love of XC courses in the family

DW - one thing I miss in all of this is your race reports. Always enjoyed them

Me - not much to report except a new family member in the house. Will get back to running in the next couple of days 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - hooray for race week!!  Will it be JMac taper madness, or MarkyMark style obsessive weather-checking and random banter?  Or are you planning to put your own unique stamp on it?

Zebano - owwwwww hope you're healing up OK.

Flavio - it's great seeing you starting to log some consistent mileage again.  What are the restrictions in Italy now?  Also I'm pleased to see my phrase Garminocalypse catching on haha.

DWave - I agree totally about Garmin's saving grace in this being the fact that you can still manually upload activities from the device.  My training has been able to continue unimpacted as I just manually upload the activities to TrainingPeaks so my coach can still keep tabs on everything.

Watson - bummer, hope you are feeling better soon.

JMac- congratulations to you and your wife!!!  [INSERT CELEBRATION EMOJI!!]  Hope everyone is healthy and that you are surviving OK... those first few days are a fairly steep learning curve!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Jmac that's awesome news. Congratulations on been a Dad and pass on my best wishes to your wife.

Did you have a boy or a girl ?

Thanks for the interval info. My usual 2 mins recovery may be a bit short so your idea could help.

Watson that's really cool your daughter is doing so well. You will be proud I bet.

Darkwave so is your cellphone from the late 80s with the small suitcase to house the battery in 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Resident Historian

Flavio - Glad that wait is over for Italian citizenship. Congrats!

jmac - Congrats on the new arrival!

darkwave -- One does not have to renounce other citizenship to become a US citizen. There are words to the effect of renouncing allegiance to  "foreign princes"  or other states, yada, yada, in the citizenship oath, but US courts have long recognized dual citizenship. One can even vote in the previous country (if that's allowed), and like James' example of Chile, the other countries do not consider that US citizenship means the person has given up prior citizenships. A whole lot of NHL hockey players and managers are dual citizens. 

As a two-time immigrant, from the UK to Canada as a child, and from Canada to the US as an adult*, I use the passport that works best where I'm going. When I got an assignment to Spain in the 90's, I simply showed my UK passport -- no work permits, etc., required. These days a US passport is worthless... but I could travel on the others (quarantine on arrival still applies).

* So maybe I should try for a fourth as a senior?

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - hooray for race week!!  Will it be JMac taper madness, or MarkyMark style obsessive weather-checking and random banter?  Or are you planning to put your own unique stamp on it?

I think all of the above!  Current weather forecast:  Partly cloudy with not much wind.  14C High, 4C Low so with a race start of 10am, probably 8-9 degrees.  Perfect.

JMac - Congrats on the safe and healthy arrival, that's great news.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

CalBears

Me - not much to report except a new family member in the house. Will get back to running in the next couple of days 

Huge congrats! That's much more important than any PR!  I know that I am stating obvious... 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

watsonc123

Jmac - big congratulations.  The first few weeks are really hard sleep wise, and hopefully gets better after that!

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marco - thanks man. That’s because you still have the paper one, I’ve seen how those are. Since a couple of years ago they are now issuing one that looks like a credit card, with a chip and all.

Wow!!! I will get one when mine experies in 2024 Smile

PRs since re-started in 2013:

5km: 19:43 (Belfast park run Sep-16) | 10km: 40:16 (Belfast Lagan side 10K Sep-18) 

HM: 1:30:09 (Belfast city Half Marathon, September-18) | FM: 3:25:05 (official chip time Belfast city Marathon, May-19, marathon was 0.3/4 longer, original time 3:27:20 for 26.5/6...)

Upcoming races:  

???

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zebano - that might be nature’s way of forcing you to take it easy. Here hopes for a speedy recovery.

Also stop looking at those weird numbers in your watch. Listen to your body instead.

Watson - congrats to your little one, I’m sure you’ve been very proud.

Jmac - First of all big congratulations to you and your wife. Please receive our well wishes for a long and prosperous life for the baby.

You’re probably thinking of Juris Solis, citizenship via residency. Here in Italy it takes 10 years if you have a valid residence and work permit.

In my case it’s Juris Sanguinis, citizenship via blood line (familial lineage). Italy has to do it because it’s in their constitution, but they’re not in a hurry.

The issue is that there are hundreds of thousands of people asking for their recognition, way beyond what Italy could process.

If I had started the process back in a consulate in Brazil it would take roughly 15 years.

That’s the reason I came to live in Italy, cause it’s supposed to be faster this way and it usually takes about 3 months in average.

All of this really because my great grandfather didn’t bother to register his children at the local consulate.

Mark - There aren’t many restrictions at the moment since the contagion is very low (100-200 cases a day).

I’d dare say life has gone back to normal except for wearing masks in closed spaces (supermarkets, stores, etc).

Longboat - I’ve seen many Americans state they’re Canadians while backpacking, I guess it just makes it easy to skip the whole political discussion.

me - I've gone running after 8:30am today and paid for it. The heat was getting to me near the end. It's probably karma for all the times I've giggled when reading Jmac complaining about the weather being too hot and then going running at the warmest hour of the day 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Just dropping in here to say congratulations to JMac on the new arrival! Great news and I hope all is well with mommy and baby.

2:52:16 (2018)