Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

kcam

Ok, you've certainly got my attention, especially considering the results you two have had. Question(s)...what's the advantage of doing this workout instead of a classic tempo run? Or a longer tempo run? And Ken, did you switch to 1000's at 10k pace after a certain number of weeks, as Jim suggested?
    I'd guess this workout may take less out of you than a classical tempo or a longer tempo run and is therefor easier to recover from. You get most of the benefits without a full-on, no recovery tempo. I don't think I did any real tempo running or even many, if any, MP runs last fall. Maybe a little improvement could be had if added in some tempo runs as well? Jim? I never switched to 1000's because my goal was the marathon, not the 10K. Actually, I went the other way and did 6X2mile repeats at 1/2 mar pace with 200m jog in between. Those were tough but when I finished I KNEW I was ready to run 'fast' for a long time. I still remember thinkng after the first 2 mile repeat "There's no F***ing way I finish this thing!". But next thing you know 2,3,4,5,6 down and during the 2mile cooldown I'm feeling like a champ! What a confidence builder that was. I'm jealous of anyone who can run those 1600 workouts right now because I can't. Just don't have the stamina for it right now but hope to get back there this summer. BTW, I'm running the Zippy 5K this Sunday in Golden Gate Park. I'll be happy with a sub-20 so I shouldn't even be posting with you guys on this thread. Tongue
      I think Quint explained it as least as well as I could. And it was Tom "Tinman" Schwartz who got me started on that workout along with several other ideas that shaped my training the last 3 years. I just passed them along to Ken. Tom coaches a bunch of runners, mostly via the Internet but I got to meet in him a few times while he was doing some contract work here. I suggested mixing in the 1000's at 10k pace because it was something I tried and got good results from. I thought that was enough to bring up for now, but there was often an added twist to these workouts in the form of 3 or 4 quick 200's that were added right after the last 1000 or 1600. These were at estimated 1-mile race pace. Another key workout that I thought I'd save for later was hill charges following a 3-4 mile tempo run. It was part of the mix of workouts that preceded a string of good races I had last year. The hills would be either 10 x 30 seconds or 5 x 60 seconds. I should actually do this one more often as it helped quite a bit. Like the intervals it included a lot of supplementary running along with the tempo and hills. The whole workout was usually between 11-14 miles. To be honest, I think these workouts helped more for races in 10k-30k range than 5k. Although I did set my 5k PR it didn't score as high on the scale as the other races. Ken tacked on few other key workouts near the end of the year and when on to run a couple very nice marathons. My season died about a week after the 30k I ran in November. A week after that race I started out with Ken to try that 6 x 2-miles workout he mentioned but pulled up about 50 yards into the 2nd rep. There were some stops and starts after that but it's only been in the last month that I've started to come around. I think Ken felt sorry for me so he went ahead and got injured too. All part of the game I guess.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Thanks everyone for the good wishes. As for the mile repeats - I just never had the stomach for them! I'd rather run a whole bunch of 200's at a faster pace with a 200 jog recovery than try to do mile repeats at pace. Even in college at my peak I crashed and burned on any intervals longer than 800. I just about died with 7x1200 in 3:50 average - still my best workout ever and I puked afterward and was sore for 3 days...and at 19 years old 3 days is a long time to be sore! Tonight I did 5 miles in 35:35 with 3 in 19:35 incorporated on the treadmill while watching Ghost Hunters Cool
        evtish

My highest mileage week ever last week at 42. Will try to hold around 40 through May. We'll see if the higher mileage brings me to the promised land. At least I have the fast and flat weekly Good Times 5k course on my side, plus a bunch of slightly faster guys like BadDawg to help pull me along.
            My highest mileage week ever last week at 42. Will try to hold around 40 through May. We'll see if the higher mileage brings me to the promised land. At least I have the fast and flat weekly Good Times 5k course on my side, plus a bunch of slightly faster guys like BadDawg to help pull me along.
            Good job on your running. Bet sub 19 isn't too far away for you. You are very close.

Current Goals: Run and stuff

evtish

Thanks Quint. Wow, you're really piling up the miles. All the in the know veterans say that's the way to go. Good luck.
              C.J

RunningKidCJ

Argh! OMG cant believe I'm finally in the sub 19 group. Well my previous PR for 5k was 20:29. But this was in january. Since then i have had a lot of better structured training. So i have finally got my 5k down to 19:08. So now with a bit more hard effort i should be able to break the 19min barrier and hopefully the 18min barrier further along the track. CJ
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Good luck with your races coming up. Jim24315 gave some pointers over on the sub 40 10k thread on an approach to running 1600's that I am going to be trying sometime in the near future. ...
                  Maybe this one: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/4acd927fd51e416fafe518a4d4316e44#focus ?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Yep, that's it. Smile

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Rest or recovery between the 1600s, and how much? (It may have been mentioned earlier in that thread; after I found that post I didn't continue going backward.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Jim likes to do a 200 recovery between 1600's. The thing that I kinda liked about it (keep in mind I haven't tried it yet), is that he does them in conjunction with a good long warmup and cooldown, and also runs the 1600's fast but not fast enough to kill you for the rest of the week. It's something, that if I had to, could do out on the roads if I couldn't get to a track. Really, Jim or KenCamet could probably explain them better than I because they both ran it as a staple workout. I know Ken said he really liked doing them too and had a lot of success last year.

Well earlier this week I had a 2.5 mile tempo (incorporated in a 4.5 treadmill run) in 15:49 and was not dying. That's 6:19 a mile and definitely put me on target for a sub 19 5-K on June 6. I was heading for another week in the low 30's mileage-wise. Then I've had Achilles tendonitis flare up so I have to take a few days off. Dead Hopefully after a few more days and getting new shoes (my shoes were getting older and I'm a pretty big guy) I can get back on target but I may scratch the June 6 race and hit one in July instead. I am still having trouble adding anymore mileage due to my schedule - I have been unable to do more than low 30's. I hope everyone else is more on track than me! Good luck!
                            Sorry to hear about the achilles kpk33x. My quest for sub 19 is pretty much just beginning since my last/first 5k was barely under 20 minutes. Don't have a particular goal race for it. Just gonna run various races (some 5k's) throughout the rest of spring and summer and chip away at it. Knocking on wood and hoping to remain healthy. Good luck with your achilles recovery.

Thanks Quint! Hopefully it fades out in the next few days here...
                                The chipping away at it has begun. Got 13 seconds closer today. Only forty more to go.