Goal of sub 19 minute 5k (Read 5724 times)

Thats a good time...pretty close to 6:30 per mile. You can' t get down on yourself just think of all the miles you are putting in...I tried for 4 years to break 20 in a 5k then I ran a PR of 20:03...my next race was 20:37 then 19:35 all within a month. So if you get the right course you can take 30 seconds off your PR.
    Thanks Michigan. I identified a few quick things I can do and hope I can run a good 5k on 3/22. BTW, when is your debut this season? Legs really sore after the 8k, 1 mile races on Sat and then a 16 miler yesterday.
      Race day tip: Don't change anything race day morning. No, really. I decided on a whim to leave my garmin in my trunk and 'wing it.' Oh I wung it. I wung it all the way to a 5:50 opening mile. I was aiming for 6:30-6:40, trying to ease back into racing. (first race in a year and a half, couple months from long injury, just building mileage, no speedwork, out sick and no running for a week right before the race...blah, etc, blah, excuse, blah) My asthma had enough at about mile 1.4 and I had to pull off 4 or 5 times for breathing problems. Oh well. At least I finished. It was nice to get back into a race after a year and a half and I really didn't think I was going to run that fast. And it was pretty cool watching Ryan Hall finish the 15K about 4 minutes before second place. heh. Got a video of him in the last 300 or so meters.
      Didn't achieve my goal of sub 6:30 for today's 8k. Finished in my own Garmin time of 32:38. Gun time is a couple of sec more but there was no starting gun or bell so most didn't know the race had started until a few sec later. Just didn't have it today. Looks like sub 19:30 5k in 3 weeks would not be possible.
      Sorry to hear it man. Sounds like you're getting some good miles in though.
      Run like you stole something.
        Thanks Michigan. I identified a few quick things I can do and hope I can run a good 5k on 3/22. BTW, when is your debut this season? Legs really sore after the 8k, 1 mile races on Sat and then a 16 miler yesterday.
        I should pass the 100 mile mark for the year to let you know how little running I have been doing this year! But that is a good thing. I am really getting into the training again and don't think I will burn out as easily this year. After running 50 miles in the last 2 weeks I ran a 21:34 on the treadmill and a 21:51 outdoors (solo efforts not trying to kill myself). I feel quite good like I can go below 21 minutes within 3 weeks. I am hoping to race for real on April 18th weekend. I may try a late March race to ready myself for the April grind but wouldn't be going all out. I would hope to be in 20:30 race by April 18th. My first goal is to go sub 20 again early this year. Then June through August there are 3 courses where I may have a shot at sub 19 if I can get my miles up to 50-60 per week for a couple months.
          I saw that Kate O'Neill, a US women Olympian won the 8k I raced last Sat. Her time was kind of mundane (27:06) by her standard. So, either she was just jogging it for fun or the course was a bit more difficult. I hope it was the latter and if so, may be I didn't do so poorly.
            I took a small step toward this goal yesterday - after 45 minutes of making more adjustments to my supposedly-fixed-for-$411 treadmill, I did my first tempo run in a month. I hadn't varied my pace much while trying to build up my mileage but had: 5 miles in 37:52 including 3 miles in 21:52 (first and last miles were 8:00 warmup/cooldown). I felt surprisingly good, like I was barely pushing, but they are easily my fastest miles in months at 7:17 pace. Most of my runs are 7:50-8:05/mile. Not an earth shattering run; I have to be very careful because of a huge tendency when I get in good shape to overtrain. I should start a thread called "don't do this" and put some sample weeks in from my early/mid '90s logs. I am trying to compare to Spring 2004 when I ran a surprise 19:31 and I think I'm way ahead of the game. I am targeting trying to break 19 in the summer. I have tentative goals of sub 18:30 5K and sub 32:00 5 miles for the year, but this assumes I can actually stay injury-free which would be a near miracle Smile To everyone on the thread - keep up the good work and good luck! Reading it helps to keep me motivated.
              I think I'll be signing up for a 4 mile race on 3/21. I'm in the middle of Boston Marathon training and dealing with a problematic knee/right quad issue... I would really like to break 25:00 for 4 miles (6:15/mile). I haven't run a short race since mid-November when I ran a 19:49 5k..... We'll see how it goes... Boston is the bigger goal than this. I'll worry about running sub-19 in a 5k after that...
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

kpx33x, your 20th Century (pre 1995) looks a heck of a lot like mine. Here's hoping we can rock the 21st.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

kpx33x, your 20th Century (pre 1995) looks a heck of a lot like mine. Here's hoping we can rock the 21st.
                  Jeff - Agreed! I'll be happy to stay healthy. Michigan - just be patient, it'll come. If the March race doesn't fit into your training schedule don't force it, just keep getting those miles in! When I was trying to break 5 minutes in the mile in 10th grade I ran 5:01 three straight times followed by 5:00. The fifth time was the charm...
                    kpx33x and jeffgoldblue, you guys were fast when you were younger. I think you guys can be back to where you were soon. On the other hand, I was very slow. My speed was limited to 30m or so, as a soccer player. So, my distance running times are all faster than my few attempts decades ago.
                      Thanks gcklo - I have daydreams about getting the mile under 5 and the 5K under 18 again. Until then, I only have very grainy VHS of some of the miles and old, yellowed log books/newspaper race results. To ever approach it I would have to be much more consistent, injury free, and lose a little weight, all of which I resolved to do this year.
                        I've got some similar PRs too. From a time long ago (1990 and before). I was mainly a 200-800m runner. With bests of 23.x, 52.x and 2:04.x I don't think I ever ran a mile race (or at least I can't remember). I miss track.... I never thought I'd be a marathoner, I detested long distance...

Why is it sideways?

FWIW, my early 90's times were pretty similar to those, too.
                            FWIW, my early 90's times were pretty similar to those, too.
                            Looks like I am a minority here (a slow poke when I was young)! I ran some 25 to 30 min 5k's when I was in high school a couple of times. Didn't run at all in college. I started running seriously when I was 34/35. And had the break through late last year to break 20 min for the 1st time.
                              Looks like I am a minority here (a slow poke when I was young)! I ran some 25 to 30 min 5k's when I was in high school a couple of times. Didn't run at all in college. I started running seriously when I was 34/35. And had the break through late last year to break 20 min for the 1st time.
                              gcklo, don't think you are the only one! I can only remember running one timed race at school, I think it was a 2:3* 800m when I was 13/14 on a dodgy grass track! And I certainly didn't do any training back then - apart from the usual running around kids do. My true running life began in my 30's too. I suppose the good thing is we don't have to try and match great times we did when we had youth on your side! (sorry guys!) But on the other hand I don't think I'm gonna have much luck running a 52s 400 at 36! Shocked

Why is it sideways?

I suppose the good bad thing is we don't have to try and match great times we did when we had youth on your side! (sorry guys!) know how fast we can go now.
                                Fixed. At 32, I am just as fast over all those distances, except the 400--though if I worked on my speed I could probably come close to running that 52 again. I am faster over distances from 10 miles up. If you are in your 30's, youth is still on your side, plus you have the strength and mental discipline of adulthood. If you can't run faster in your 30's than you did as a teenager, then you are doing something wrong. The only mental challenge that a history of fast times brings is that you know how hard you have to work, and how much patience it takes to get there. That thought can be a bit daunting at times--until I remember hwo much i enjoy the work.