Why is 50 mpw a magic number? (Read 1588 times)

Lane

He was carrying weapons of math instruction!

...---...

my magic mileage each week can best be expressed by phi. It used to be pi...but that's such a cliche anymore.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

xor

I'm all for psi. Believe you me.

Beware, batbear...

This thread is proof that runners are gluttons for punishment.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

xor

I'm just a glutton for the psi.

JayMF

Why you got to go and say fifty miles for? Why not thirty-five or thirty-nine?
              Sweet. No man can run fifty eggs.
              JayMF

For the record, I personally think that 0 is the only round number, really.
                8 is twice as round as 0.
                flovesparko

Marquess of Utopia

Don Kardong thought 88 was a good number.
                      If you're planning on running 20+ miles for your long run, you must run 52.3606798... miles to maintain the golden ratio between long runs and "other runs" during the week. I peaked out at 60.2148917 miles with a long run of 23 miles, and broke my marathon PR by 50 minutes. This is the key to success. Maintaining the golden ratio between your long runs and your other runs.
                      mikeymike

I guess scovill is screwed then.

Runners run

Is the 100 miler a "long run" or a "race"? Races break the pattern.

A Saucy Wench

I guess scovill is screwed then.
                            Why screwed? he just needs a 267.0346698 week if he's going to do that nonsense. Step it up man!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Why screwed? he just needs a 267.0346698 week if he's going to do that nonsense. Step it up man!
                              That's why I ask if it was a "race". The power of the golden ratio builds up over time, and the way you release the energy is by breaking the ratio for your race week.

...---...

This is the key to success. Maintaining the golden ratio between your long runs and your other runs.
                                You are worthy. I think a book about Phi-Running is in order here...to counterbalance Chi-Running of course.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12