Wilting in the heat like a sad flower (Read 1266 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Oh boy do I know how you feel. I'm in N California...just north of Sacramento...aka HELL!! It was 104 here yesterday. I got out on my run by 6:45am to TRY and beat the heat. It was still in the 70's that early.
    Hey, I lived in Roseville/Rocklin for 13 years! I've been watching your temps lately (Rocklin is still one of my weather widgets), and I'm not missing it much right now.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hey, I lived in Roseville/Rocklin for 13 years! I've been watching your temps lately (Rocklin is still one of my weather widgets), and I'm not missing it much right now.
      I live in Granite Bay...which technically IS Roseville....which technically IS the closest place on earth to the sun in summer. MUCH better run this morning. It was actually 59 degrees when I started. Lovely!! Even though we have killer heat, this is still the most awesome place to live. 1.5 hours from the snow, 1.5 hours from the ocean. Lakes, rivers and the best bike trail! I would miss it if we ever moved.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

this is still the most awesome place to live. 1.5 hours from the snow, 1.5 hours from the ocean. Lakes, rivers and the best bike trail! I would miss it if we ever moved.
        Homesick. Sad

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Hoping to Run Again :-(

I'm in Georgia and I completely sympathize. Way early or way late are the only options here for me once the heat kicks in but good. It's not unusual for me to look as if I've just returned from swimming rather than running. I'm seriously thinking of fridging my running duds overnight for a cool start Big grin Hang in there!
          ~ Fly ~
          Only as much as I dream can I be.
          veggies on the run
          milkbaby

In the heat, slow down! Also, the more you run in hot weather, the more you get used to it. But once it is really hot, it's going to be uncomfortable no matter what. Remember, when you are sitting on the couch skipping your workout, there is another runner out there who is training, and when you meet at the same race, they will beat you. Smile
            "You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Mahatma Gandhi "I have need to be all on fire, for I have mountains of ice about me to melt." -- William Lloyd Garrison "The marathon is an art; the marathoner is an artist." -- Kiyoshi Nakamura
              Anyway to get a bigger fanny pack and a couple of beer cozies, fill a baggie with ice and stuff it in the cozies and cool yourself with the ice periodically? 75 doesn't seem that hot (although I ran in SFO the other day and 75 was plenty hot...).TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

... I'm going to get a sun visor sometime, all that...
                If you haven't already, check out the "Ultra Athlete Shade Cap" from SunPrecautions. other tips: Hydrate well (8 oz per 15 min) and when you get to longer runs use electrolyte replacement capsules. In cooler weather, "heat train" a bit by wearing warmer clothes (I use cotton sweatsuits.) When you're wearing a hat, put some crushed ice inside (I use a handkerchief to hold it in.) Pre-cool your body by sitting/splashing in cold bath water before the run. Bribe some local kids to hose you down with cool spray from a hose 1/2 way through the run. On your run, imagine that you're sitting on an ice floe with a polar bear friend and feeling cool. Slow down if you need to, and extend the length of your runs over time (makes short runs feel "cooler".) ... If you ever get to the point where you run in the sun for 2 hours in 2 - 3 cotton sweat suits and a wool stocking cap when the temperature is 85F or above, let us know Smile Or if you run Badwater (Death Valley gets real hot.). Then you can join the "Heat Training Survivors Club" ... Take it easy, and stay cool.

Puffer, not huffer

I do feel your pain about being a little scared in a not-so-good neighborhood but feel reassured that scumbags generally aren't out at 6AM. It's the hardworking, honest people in the neighborhood and other runners up and about at 6AM.
                  I've always thought this, too. All the bad people have gone to sleep! Another vote for slowing down. We had a "heat wave" in Portland this weekend, and it was the first time I'd run in over 80 degree weather. It was...intense, but I managed to make it through by slowing down and drinking water and some gatorade when I got home. It'll suck the first few times, but you can make it through as long as you take it easy.
                    Well, only way to be able to run in hot (and humid) climate is to live in that temperature. Avoid air conditioning. Do not use it in your home (and car). You do get used to the heat and then it is no big problem to do afternoon runs. I live in Japan. Summers are hot and humid. I do not use air conditioning in home, only fan. I do not use air conditioning in a car, only open windows. I do avoid air conditioned buildings. Luckily my work does not require to sit in a cool room for hours. If you stay most of your time in air conditioned environment, running outside can be, seriously, deadly. Acclimation.
                      I could tell you that I'm in Florida and temps are in the 80's (soon will be 90's) with 90-100% humidity and therefore you need to HTFU. However, I'm on the treadmill below 45 degrees and it does get that cold in our state. Like others have already said, we acclimate, hydrate and get up stinking early to do our long runs.

2008 Goals

Run Jax Bank 12/21/08 under 4 minutes (1st marathon)
                      5K 23.99
                      10K 50.40
                      1/2 1:52
                      Manage injuries so I can stick to training plan
                      Make healthy food choices

Jazz hands!

Hi everyone! Thanks for the beaucoup responses--I did manage to get 3 miles in today (it was cooler, though) without keeling over. I think the only reason I've put off the sun visor is it just screams, "retirement golf community!" but then again, I already look such a fright when I run (besides my wardrobe choices, I have a pixie haircut that stands straight up if I push it out of my face when I sweat) that I'm sure it doesn't matter. Slowgino: well, I went to Badwater! Somewhere here's there's a picture of me wearing the world's baggiest pants (they're GREAT for hiking) and grinning like a sweaty fool by the "lowest point in north america" sign. Otherwise, I run through sprinklers where applicable but people are finally taking the drought seriously, so there are less. Otherwise, I guess it's "lucky" that my apartment doesn't have AC, but my workplace does, and there's not a lot I can do about that part. I was actually wearing a sweater today at work... it's ridiculous.
                        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                        popcorn

Getting used to the heat is essential. I'm in Florida, and just got back from an "easy" 3.75mi. It was 88 when I left, 90 when I got home, but the humidity wasn't bad. (Although I _just_ beat the rain, and it's pouring now.) I trained well all last summer and my speeds went up a lot in the fall. I also work nights sometimes, so find that the best time for my schedule may put me running in the heat of the afternoon. I shoot for a slower pace, and carry water if I'm running with dogs or going more than a couple of miles. I have a small Camelback that I love as well. In any case, I hate running in the cold, and complain to high heaven when it drops into the 60s. Danielle
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hate running in the cold, and complain to high heaven when it drops into the 60s.
                            This makes me giggle. I'll take your sub-60s if you take our >80s. Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

popcorn

This makes me giggle. I'll take your sub-60s if you take our >80s. Big grin
                              Giggle? I'm surprised you aren't laughing more! And yes, I'll trade you! (I hate running when my throat gets sore from the cold... but I suppose it's just what you're used to. The runny nose bit, too - I'd rather be sweating from every pore than my nose running faster than I am.)
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Giggle? I'm surprised you aren't laughing more! And yes, I'll trade you! (I hate running when my throat gets sore from the cold... but I suppose it's just what you're used to. The runny nose bit, too - I'd rather be sweating from every pore than my nose running faster than I am.)
                                Ooh, I don't like the runny nose part, but I'd rather run when it's 30 (and don't let <0 temps keep me indoors, either...don't even own a treadmill) than when it's 80. i can always put more clothes on. ;) temps="" keep="" me="" indoors,="" either...don't="" even="" own="" a="" treadmill)="" than="" when="" it's="" 80.="" i="" can="" always="" put="" more="" clothes="" on.=""></0 temps keep me indoors, either...don't even own a treadmill) than when it's 80. i can always put more clothes on. ;)>

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay