Asthmatics...needs some BTDTs (Read 769 times)

Former runner

Ross, did you have one particular illness with bronchitis that seems to have set you off?
    Yeah it was a cold that turned into bronchitis then pneumonia. After that I just got in the habit of making an appointment the minute I could detect any congestion in my chest.

Ross

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Another question...for those of you who have successfully found treatment that works, once it kicked-in did you find that you were amazed by the difference...ie, did you suddenly have a lightbulb moment like "gee, I had no idea how bad my lung function was prior to this course of treatment."?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Former runner

My biggest improvement in lung function has come from running and biking. Sure the meds help you breath, but doing the aerobic workouts is where the real improvement comes from. The gee whiz moment is when you realize that your albuterol inhaler has expired because you didn't use it on a daily basis. Big grin MTA: That reminds me I probably need to check expiration dates again.

Ross

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes. (I have asthma too)
          JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Once I get a cold during the school year, I don't quit coughing until the school year is over. This year I made it until the beginning of April and have been hacking ever since. I can't even read a story/sing a song without coughing. It drives me nuts! I am on Advair at the moment. I think that I need to back to my doctor. Anyway I know that the markers, tempra paint, crayons, dry earse and all of that junk irritates my lungs for the rest of the year once they are weakened. Sorry if I hijacked. This made me think of that....
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
              for those with seasonal allergies, one of the best non-drug treatments is to eat honey from a LOCAL beekeeper and from the same season. The honey contains small amounts of the allergen and your body can desensitize itself from the major reaction that it normally does. The blended crap from the grocery store just won't cut it...that stuff isn't fit for pigs....ugh.... ex-beekeeper Shy
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Once I get a cold during the school year, I don't quit coughing until the school year is over. This year I made it until the beginning of April and have been hacking ever since. I can't even read a story/sing a song without coughing. It drives me nuts! I am on Advair at the moment. I think that I need to back to my doctor. Anyway I know that the markers, tempra paint, crayons, dry earse and all of that junk irritates my lungs for the rest of the year once they are weakened. Sorry if I hijacked. This made me think of that....
                Jilly, if we are going to have a fighting chance in the drinking/running challenge we both need to be in our best form. Get that stuff taken care of! Evil grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

for those with seasonal allergies, one of the best non-drug treatments is to eat honey from a LOCAL beekeeper and from the same season. The honey contains small amounts of the allergen and your body can desensitize itself from the major reaction that it normally does. The blended crap from the grocery store just won't cut it...that stuff isn't fit for pigs....ugh.... ex-beekeeper Shy
                  I have heard this SO many times. We have an orchard/farmer's market about 10 miles away that has started gathering honey. I'm sure they aren't cheap, but that would definitely be worth trying.

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

FWIW, I use Advair and haven't noticed any sleep issues with it. And I never miss my night dose. Yes, I sometimes miss my morning dose. MTA: my friend the Merck rep says you're supposed to take the Singulair two hours before exercise. Does it matter when you take it, Zoomy? *I know.* Roll eyes
                    I sold the drug nearly 3 years and never heard of this! Once a day at same time each day preferrably on empty stomach. BUT, it has been 3 years since I sold the product so they may have new recommendations. I do not think the label supports the statement above though.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

SMART Approach

Another question...for those of you who have successfully found treatment that works, once it kicked-in did you find that you were amazed by the difference...ie, did you suddenly have a lightbulb moment like "gee, I had no idea how bad my lung function was prior to this course of treatment."?
                      I actually got this from Singulair. Agree, with Trent that you may be in middle of an excaberation (attack) and need oral steroids to calm the inflammation and help your body battle it. Your PCP will make this determination and probably have you blow into Peak Flow Meter to determine lung strength. Zoomy another thing that had a profound effect on me 5-6 years ago was taking Quercetin (a bioflavanoid) along with Bromelain (for better absorption). Might be something to give a try. Certainly no harm but not a replacement for medicine. They come in formulas with Quercetin/Bromelain. I brand I used was Doctor's Best. http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?page=LIST&ProdID=1209&zType=2 Symbicort is a newer drug by AstraZeneca that is like Advair with long acting bronchodilator and inhaled corticosteroid. http://www.mysymbicort.com/symbicort/index.aspx?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Symbicort is a newer drug by AstraZeneca that is like Advair with long acting bronchodilator and inhaled corticosteroid. http://www.mysymbicort.com/symbicort/index.aspx?
                        I think this is what my mom has been on...she had been on Advair, but not for very long. Not sure why she switched.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And what is up with the "may increase risk of asthma-related death" warnings on all of these steroid meds? Wouldn't not being treated properly increase risk more...? Confused

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Jilly, if we are going to have a fighting chance in the drinking/running challenge we both need to be in our best form. Get that stuff taken care of! Evil grin
                            Hmmm...and perhaps we should change our team name...maybe "Team Wheezy" would be more appropriate....? Wink

~ Sarah Kay

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

It'll be summer by then and lots of fresh air will have been breathed. Smile I need to HTFU and get running though. jilly
                              JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

Hmmm...and perhaps we should change our team name...maybe "Team Wheezy" would be more appropriate....? Wink
                                Hah! It's so sad that that is true. Undecided