Asthmatics...needs some BTDTs (Read 769 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

We could be the "Orange Wheezers." Wink

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

And what is up with the "may increase risk of asthma-related death" warnings on all of these steroid meds? Wouldn't not being treated properly increase risk more...? Confused
      When I was selling Singulair I was aware of a Black Box warning put in label of Advair related to the long acting bronchodilator, Serevent. Ask your doctor, I think risk is very low and in certain populations.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ask your doctor, I think risk is very low and in certain populations.
        That's kind of what I was guessing. I'd assume that more people die from uncontrolled asthma than from meds.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The problem is that people used their serevent instead of albuterol to treat acute exacerbations. Since it does little for acute exacerbations, they died of their untreated asthma. Not of their serevent. But pure serevent was pulled from the market anyway.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm back...doc is having me do a month of Advair 100/2 2x/day to see how that goes. Gave me samples...woot! I have a feeling this stuff is gonna be $$. If it works I'm definitely going to go off of the Singulair, since we can't afford 3 name-brands (since the albuterol is also name-brand). I asked about prednisone, but he said that it's not something he'll prescribe unless a person is having severe breathing difficulties--since I can still run (not as well, but I'm still able) my issues aren't warranting it. Hopefully I will never get to the point where they do. If the Advair works well we'll stick with that. It's his first choice for inhaled steroid meds. If that doesn't work he'll try a different one. My mom didn't have much success with Advair, IIRC, so I hope I have better luck.

~ Sarah Kay

Ringmaster

Good luck, Zoomy. That's how my doc did it--we tried it for a month, then went off it. Cough came right back when I stopped taking it, so we figured that it was working and went back to it. I hope you find what works for ya!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, getting rid of this cough will be awesome. I've been taking Delsym every night to get some sleep.

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I asked about prednisone, but he said that it's not something he'll prescribe unless a person is having severe breathing difficulties
                  Um. Daily use of albuterol with symptoms IS severe enough. What is the doc's fear? If in doubt, get pulmonary function testing... Also, this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/health/13asth.html
                    Gave me samples...woot! I have a feeling this stuff is gonna be $$. .
                    Hope you are sitting down when you see the price. IF i remember right, I THINK it is close to 200 bucks a disc. I will take a look at my paperwork when I get home and validate this for you...
                    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Um. Daily use of albuterol with symptoms IS severe enough. What is the doc's fear? If in doubt, get pulmonary function testing... Also, this: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/health/13asth.html
                      Interesting...I hadn't noticed much difference between the old CFC inhaler I had and the Pro-Air that I now use, but I have read quite a few negative reviews from other people. I do like that the Pro-Air is smaller and easier to carry on runs. I do wonder about my reactions during the race, though. I'm sure the stress of the race didn't help my airways any. Today is the first day since Sat. that I actually am breathing fairly easy (and the cough has eased), but I wonder if that's partly weather. It's rained, so all of my allergy symptoms seem lessened as stuff has been washed out of the air some. My doc seemed to think the prednisone option would be overkill, given that I'm still able to run and am responding to the inhaler. His rationale was that it's only truly necessary if a person is struggling so much that they are gasping without any sort of exertion. Confused As for the pulmonary function test, my mom is definitely recommending it. Regardless of whether the Advair works or not I think I'm going to ask about seeing a pulmonologist. My mom actually thinks I should see an allergist, first. What's your take? And what would a pulmonary function test involve? Is that similar to what they'd have me do in a sports lab? I've always been curious about that, so it might be a good excuse (especially if insurance might pay for something like that, since it's related to a medical issue).

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hope you are sitting down when you see the price. IF i remember right, I THINK it is close to 200 bucks a disc. I will take a look at my paperwork when I get home and validate this for you...
                        Is that WITH insurance?! Shocked

~ Sarah Kay

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

overkill, given that I'm still able to run and am responding to the inhaler. His rationale was that it's only truly necessary if a person is struggling so much that they are gasping without any sort of exertion
                          I disagree. And the expert recommendations disagree. By time you are this sick, it is too late. Overkill? Hardly. Waiting until you are so sick that you cannot breathe, that is overkill.
                            Is that WITH insurance?! Shocked
                            nahh...but it will depend on your co-pay. I can't really tell you what that is because I have primary and secondary insurance that covers my stuff. (If you haven't dealt with secondary, they will usually pick up most of the co-pay). I typically pay 9 bucks as a copay for everything.
                            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

nahh...but it will depend on your co-pay. I can't really tell you what that is because I have primary and secondary insurance that covers my stuff. (If you haven't dealt with secondary, they will usually pick up most of the co-pay). I typically pay 9 bucks as a copay for everything.
                              Ahhh...I know generics for us are $5 and did was thinking that maybe $50 is the peak--at least that's what we pay for our kid's ADHD meds (I know the retail on that stuff is insane...but so is he without his meds, heh Wink). Trent, how long does it generally take for the Advair to kick in? Maybe that's why he wasn't jumping on the prednisone...if the Advair is fairly rapid...?

~ Sarah Kay

SMART Approach

Zoomy, You will usually have a 2 tier or 3 tier formulary with generic, preferred brand on formulary and non formulary brand. For me, it $5, 20, $45. If Advair is on your formulary you would pay $20 with my plan. This is what I pay with Singulair. If you think Singulair had little effect then fine to go off. The benefit with Singulair is asthma and allergies while Advair will hit asthma only. Depends on if your symptoms are leukotriene mediated and you will know when you go off Singulair within a week or two. Trent is the doc but from my recollection, the long acting bronchodilator should start working immediately while the corticosteroid component of Advair will take some time to reach maximum effectiveness - probably a couple weeks, but you could have benefits within a couple days.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com