I caught my wife in the act red handed.. what do I do now? (Read 3176 times)

De-slacking in progress

Big grin MADE YOU LOOK Big grin Anyway, I went from couch to 5k, ran my first 5k race...bla bla..bla. Lost 40+ pounds, etc...bla bla bla... My wife, all 5ft 100# of her, sort of got inspired by my transformation that she started using the treadmill to walk. She toned up, feels better, etc. When I started to run, she said he NEVER has any intentions of running. It does NOT interest her at all. She just likes to walk. Well- today I went into the basement to warm up on the treadmill before my run and lo and behold.. she was already on the treadmilll and... I CAUGHT HER RUNNING ON IT. Shocked So much for the word never. I told her not to run in walking shoes that it wouldn't be good for her. She says- oh-I'm not going to run because they don't make shoes in my size anyway so what's the use. I just bet her, that if the RUNNING SHOE store sells her size, then she'll start the C25K program. OK ladies- they better sell womens 5.5 in all the major brands or I gotta do housework for 3 weeks.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

OK ladies- they better sell womens 5.5 in all the major brands or I gotta do housework for 3 weeks.
      If you need help finding them, I will do some research for ya'. Smile Good for your wife (and you)! Supportive spouses are da bomb! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just did a quickie search on runningwarehouse.com for size 5.5, med. width, mod. stability shoes and see that they have models from Saucony, Nike, Asics, Adidas...maybe more depending upon her stability needs (and I know that Asics and NB both make "kids" versions of their adult shoes in some more popular models--the NB 768 comes to mind). But she should definitely be able to go into a running store and find something--assuming that they stock a good selection of sizes--and maybe she'll have to go up a half size or more in a running shoe, anyhow. Looks like the missus will be doing C25k. There is a great user group for that on RA. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Bugs

wow she is tiny. I have a feeling she'll be doing the C25K, but bet she says, "I'm just running for health and will not do a race." Start thinking of what you want to bet her for that challenge. Smile

Bugs

De-slacking in progress

I just did a quickie search on runningwarehouse.com for size 5.5, med. width, mod. stability shoes and see that they have models from Saucony, Nike, Asics, Adidas...maybe more depending upon her stability needs (and I know that Asics and NB both make "kids" versions of their adult shoes in some more popular models--the NB 768 comes to mind). But she should definitely be able to go into a running store and find something--assuming that they stock a good selection of sizes--and maybe she'll have to go up a half size or more in a running shoe, anyhow. Looks like the missus will be doing C25k. There is a great user group for that on RA. Smile
            YEE-HAW no housework for me !!!! (seems even when I win a bet with her I end of losing Confused )

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

De-slacking in progress

wow she is tiny. I have a feeling she'll be doing the C25K, but bet she says, "I'm just running for health and will not do a race." Start thinking of what you want to bet her for that challenge. Smile
              When I ran my first 5K race a few weeks ago, she would have taken first place in her age group if she had crawled the whole way- no other women in her age group- so I kind of been using that against her also. So maybe in our smallville 5k race next year we can both place.

Spingoddess

I know they make shoes that size, even smaller, my sis-in-law in the same height as your wife, she's 100# soaking wet, and she's run 2 marathons. I believe her brand is the Mizuno Wave Riders. If your wife gets hooked on running, you will have 2 addicts in the family! Big grin
                If we work hard at something we are passionate about, we might be rewarded with a few thrilling moments of perfection. John Bingham
                runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

TRIing to beat the heat!

This same thing happened to my husband when I first started running & training for triathlons. During all of our years together, he has always strongly proclaimed his detest for running. Once he saw me catching the bug and feeling good about it all... he decided to take it up. He's on the C25K program right now. I don't think he'll ever 'love' running, but I know he's going to love the competition of racing (road races and tris).

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

De-slacking in progress

Wait until she needs Outfits to go with those shoes. Big grin
                      Well- it happened today- went to Second Sole running shoe store - they tested her and she tried on a few different brand shoes. Hurray- they had plenty that would fit her. The perfect match for her was: Nike Triax +11 Even though her normal tennis shoe size is 5.5, her running shoe size was a 7. They also sell walking shoes there so now I never have to go to another shoe store again with her searching for days on end to find just one pair of shoes. Love that running store. This locally owned store is featured in July 2008 RW Magazine in the back pages as top rated by customers. (Canton, Ohio) Then it was off to Target to get the C9 line of running clothes- shorts, shirts ,etc. Shoes around $95, clothing about $150. So for about $250 I got out of 3 weeks worth of housework. Shocked Next week she starts the C25K program. I imagine she'll probably end up starting a few weeks into the program based on what she can already do. Good thing we work opposite shifts. I like my solitary running, but will enjoy 1-2 days per week running with her when the time comes. That makes me her coach Big grin

Yoda the 4-eared cat

That makes me her coach Big grin
                        haha, be careful with that one. It's took two years for my sweetie to get his head out of the RUNNING = HELL mindset, and even now he runs with pretty great relectance and my attempts to coach were met with stubborn indifference! But he's a man and a fantastically pig-headed one at that so maybe your wife will be more receptive to helpful instruction. Just be prepared to let it go if she isn't I am now just very grateful that he comes out with me occasionally for short runs as since my running partner recently moved to a new city and it's been SOOOO hard to settle into a routine without her. I agree, supportive spouses are the greatest. Big grin
                        RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

My wife has become a runner as well but I think she was running before I ever started (or so she claims). Anyway, my best advice on the coaching piece is to let her come to you. She would just get annoyed when I would tell her to do this or that. She just had to find her own way to do things as most of us do. Now I catch her taking my running magazines and reading them before me Evil grin She is going to be running her first half in three weeks and just did a 14 miler last night. Couldn't be prouder of her dedication these days. She actually ran in heavy rains two weeks ago for a 12 miler. That was big for her. As far as running together the thing is one of you will most likely be faster then the other. For the most part, especially with kids we rarely run together. She does her thing I do mine but we will still run at the same races. That is just the way we like it I think.
                            2011 Goals:
                            Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                            Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
                          rdesposito

They do because I'm a 5.5! Road Runner Sports! Saucony!
                            seeEricaRun

Awesome

I know they make shoes that size, even smaller, my sis-in-law in the same height as your wife, she's 100# soaking wet, and she's run 2 marathons. I believe her brand is the Mizuno Wave Riders. If your wife gets hooked on running, you will have 2 addicts in the family! Big grin
                              Shoe size is not correlated with height. As an example, I'm 5' tall, my shoe size does not change with my weight, and I wear a size 7 - the most average women's size.
                                opps never mind