When is it time to change shoes? (Read 1325 times)

GKA

GKA

This is my first posting so go gently with me. Undecided I am 5' 3", 115lbs, and have about 350 miles on my current shoes, and, for the first time I am experiencing some knee pain. Is it time for me to change my shoes?
    "Remember; no matter where you go, there you are."- B. Banzai
      It is a good idea to have two pairs of shoes, so go get a pair and see if it helps. If not use the new shoes every so often until you decide to retire the others.

I use shoes until I get knee pain. But I would say if your not sure just keep running with them. You'll know when its time.
        xor

Knee pain? Get new shoes. It won't "fix" all knee pain, of course, but that's one way I know that my shoes are dead. Depending on the model, my shoes last 300-500 miles... so 350 surely might mean the milk is chunky.

... so 350 surely might mean the milk is chunky.
            Big grin ((((claps))))

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

I am rotating two pairs of Asics Nimbus which are each at about 300 miles. These are my first Nimbus and I LOVE them. Previously I went through 4 or 5 pair of Asics Cumulus (loved them too, but not as much as the Nimbus). With those old Cumuls I could only get about 300 to 320 miles per pair before I would start getting shin splints. A new pair and the splints would dissapear within about 3 runs.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

For a few months I trained with Nike Frees, and learned to run more "on my toes". My knee pain went away, my body felt great, and I got faster. I now have gone back to normal shoes (the Frees fell apart too quick), and haven't changed shoes in ~1500 miles. Shoes look awful, but I've had no physical problems. When you land on your heels, your legs (particularly knees) absorb all the shock. If you land more on your toes your muscles do more of the absorbing ... at least that's what I've heard (and found).
                  it makes sense to me to replace them. if for no other reason than to rule them out as the cause of knee pain. i mean, if you don't replace them and wind up in your doc's office because of your knee, well, you just spent way more than a new pair of shoes, right?
                  ymmv

This is my first posting so go gently with me. Undecided I am 5' 3", 115lbs, and have about 350 miles on my current shoes, and, for the first time I am experiencing some knee pain. Is it time for me to change my shoes?
                    I change mine exactly one footstep before they injure me. That is very hard to estimate, so I stop long-running on shoes after 300 miles and retire them at 400. If I see extra wear or if I start wondering 'should I', then I should!

Giant Flaming Dork

Did you just start running or are you not logging everything on Running ahead? I ask because looking at your log, you increased your milage rather rapidly in january. That could also be the source of the knee pain.

http://xkcd.com/621/

runningman26

I'm new to running and I never even thought to keep track of the mileage on my shoes. That's a great idea. I will have to start doing it when I get a new pair of shoes.
                        Biofreeze Pain Relieving Gel “A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.”

ultramarathon/triathlete

Get new shoes every 300-400 miles. 400-500 if you do a lot of treadmill running. Or, since you don't necessarily keep track of the exact milage, go by every 5-6 months (fewer if you run more miles per month). Get 2 pairs of shoes and alternate. It takes about a half a week for them to completely dry out (even when they feel dry) and for the cushioning to return to normal. They'll also last longer this way (2 pairs may last 700 miles as opposed to 600 miles, make sense?) Don't wait until your knees tell you it's time to get new shoes.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

Why is it sideways?

Hey kosherdave, how's that shoe store sponsorship working out, brother?

Old, Slow, Happy

So you say GKA, then you say "go easy on me"? Big grin When my shoes are getting worn, I get hip pain. I usually notice the hip pain then look at the shoe mileage. It's always getting up there. I am usually rotating two pairs of shoes. I use the newer ones for my longer distances and the ones that are wearing out for the shorter runs. When the older ones (short distance) get to about 450 miles or so, I get a new pair. The older ones (short distance) get retired. The new ones are for the long runs and the others (former long distance) get moved to short runs.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Hey kosherdave, how's that shoe store sponsorship working out, brother?
                                Ha, I got my first pair of Zoots just a few days ago actually. Thanks for asking! And despite what some of my team mates say, I really like them. They're really light. Not sure they'll be good on anything longer than an Olympic tri or 10K.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team