Stress Reaction? (Read 2706 times)

The shirtless wonder

I dunno what you did wrong, but... huh?  Breathing through my nose is my default when I'm being a do-nothing slug.  Did you mean "mouth" or am I missing something? (real question)

Yes, that's what I meant.  Whoops.

I look my best blurry!

I tried deep water running last night and I think I did it wrong.  I was in the pool, running, for an hour and I couldn't get my heart rate up.  I had to really focus on running super fast to even get to the point where I had to breath through my nose mouth.  It felt like less of a workout than bike riding.

I had two float belts on because I was too low in the water using just one.  I had this fin sort of things on my ankles that were supposed to provide resistance but provided next to nothing. 

What did I do wrong?

mta: fixed nose/mouth mixup

Dang it, I wish I could see you!  Are you using a full stride?  You shouldn't be leaning forward more than 3-5 degrees.  Leaning forward makes it easier.  Flexing at hip and extending lower leg to be able to see your foot?  With opposite leg, really using your glutes to extend hip and hamstrings to flex knee behind you?  There shouldn't be any easy phase of this motion, if done correctly.  It should be pushing you upward out of the water.  After the first few tries I did most of my workouts without any floatation at all.  Use your arms but fist your hands so you aren't swimming with them making it easier.  (you can use them at first if you take off the belt to get the stride figured out)  If you just "sprint" by flexing hip and then extending let straight down you can move legs superfast without getting heart rate up.  (I only did this motion to work out an occasional foot cramp.)  AND you'll sink.  I really bet this is the issue.  My heart rate definitely went up.  I got out of the pool exhausted and trembling.  I kicked a$$ in the pool!!!  You can do it.  Try again.  It took a few times before I got the hang of it.  It was my ONLY option so I kept trying and I'm so glad I did.  I never could find video but I'll see if I can find a form description link.  

Don't give up.  I hope this helps.  

The shirtless wonder

I just got the results of the MRI I had last week.  It is confirmed as a stress fracture.  The high hopes I had of returning to running in 3 weeks (based on the study that I posted the abstract of) are dashed.  That recovery plan just wasn't working for me.  So...it's the conventional recovery route for me.  Little or no impact for a significant period of time followed by a very slow return to running.

Today I official give up the idea of running a fall marathon.  I also officially give up my goal of breaking 3 hours in a marathon (for 2010).

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

Greg, so sorry to hear this. I had hoped to run my first marathon on May 1 and my plans were dashed immediately. I feel for you.

TRUST THE PROCESS

celia19O5

I think stress is a normal reaction of our body when we train so much. Thus, we should practise regularly with suitable tense. Do not try so much. It may harm for health ...
            Slice

Sorry to hear about your fracture. I had 2 last year back to back b/c I didn't take off long enough. Cross training so much SUCKS but I did find that riding the stationary bike and using hand weights at the same time make for a pretty intense workout. Good luck and stay positive - you'll be back out on the road in no time!

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning

I am in week #4 of recovery from a stress fracture in the same spot as yours, so I feel your pain Greg.  I have been following both of your threads pretty closely.  I have been running for 19 years and never had a stress fracture before, but my college coach has had 3 of them, so I am listening to everything he tells me.  As you have found out, the more you try cut your recovery, the more time you end up wasting.  As much as it sucks to not be able to run for 4 to 6 weeks, if it doesn't heal properly you could be out for much longer.  I suspected I might have one the last week of May but still ran a marathon on it the next weekend.  I enjoyed the marathon, but it probably cost me a week or two extra of running.

I don't think you need to give up the goal of running a fall marathon though.  Maybe you should just pick one later in the fall.  You will be back by early August most likely.  If you take care of yourself and cross train, you will still have a strong aerobic base, which is the most important part of running a marathon.  If you find one in mid October, that still gives you about 10 weeks to prepare.

As long as it doesn't cause any pain, you can do exercises to strengthen your leg muscles that will help absorb some of the impact once you start running again.  Also, getting extra flexibility in your feet and ankles can help reduce the stress put on your leg. 

Just be honest with yourself about pain.  If an exercise or cross training hurts (even a little bit) don't do it!  Runners are tough people and many are successful because they can handle pain better than others.  This is not a good time to tough it out.  Once you start running again, beware of the phantom pains.  They seem to be pretty common.  In theory, once a stress fracture has healed properly , iyou should be able to run without worrying about it.  Although, if you increase mileage quickly you may get one somewhere else.  The important phrase... in theory.

I go to the doctor on July 8 to get the green light to run again.  I haven't had any pain for close to 3 weeks now and I passed the hop test yesterday (don't tell my wife I attempted this).  I feel like I could go and run now without any pain, but I'm still waiting until July 8.  Since we are going through the same thing and I am slightly ahead of you on the recovery schedule, I'll try to let you know what to expect.

MTA: grammar

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

The shirtless wonder

Thanks for posting Rick.  I'm probably going to pass on a fall marathon because I don't feel like I'll be in good enough shape to race one.  I could complete one but I really want to compete against myself again!  Plus I have Goofy's Challenge coming up in early 2010 and I want to give myself ample time to prepare for that.  If I did a late race it would be too close to Goofy.  I did two marathons pretty close together and I don't think I want to do that again (unless I run both of them very easy).

I'm a little worried because my ankle/shin hurts a little bit today.  I can't think of anything that should have aggravated it.  I did stop wearing the leg brace ... maybe that's why.  My shin isn't tender to the touch *at all*.  I can press as hard as I want with zero pain.  It feel just like my healthy leg.

But yeah, I'm done with miracle cures.  I won't be running for at least 3 more weeks and when I do "run" it'll be a test of a 100 meter jog.  Then I'll probably follow the pftizinger stress fracture recovery plan.

Greg

My doc called me today because of a billing issue and we were talking about how my leg was feeling.  I said it hasn't hurt for almost 3 weeks.  I also told him about the hop test.  He moved my appointment up by 1 week!  So now I might get to run starting July 1 instead of July 8.  There is a big race I want to do in Canada the 2nd week in August, so I believe the extra week will make it less likely that I will get reinjured.  I can use that extra week to make sure I ease back into running.  That would put me just over 4 weeks of recovery time total.

The shirtless wonder

That's awesome!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

That's Ms Squeak to you!

Hiyas, joining this thread quite late. The air cast caught my attention because I have one from an ankle injury from last year. My only gripe is that they come in a single size, and it doesn't work very well for a rather short chicky like me with TINY (and I mean stupidly tiny) ankles. LOL. Buuut in the end, while it was uncomfortable it still did the trick. God knows how you ran in the damn thing, my eyes nearly fell outta my head when i read that bit! Wink

Anyways, just thought it interesting to note that it was quite the mental journey reading through this thread, feeling your optimism, anger, denial and finally acceptance. It's hard, isn't it? When I busted my ankle in September last year, I remember babbling like crazy at my physiotherapist saying, "it's gonna be ok, isn't it? because i have a 10k race that I'm running in 2 weeks" and him just nodding quietly and saying "well, just see how it goes". LOL. 2 1/2 months off running. It was pretty awful.I gained weight again, and as I use running to manage my mental health, I think I veered dangerously close to (another) episode of depression too. Yuck.

Somewhere between September and November I accepted that my first half-marathon was going to have to wait. The biggest difficulty was the mental shifts that had to occur, and it was actually a little bit hard reading your posts change from optimistic to resigned. My heart really goes out to you, but the best advice is, of course, moderation and listening to your body.

Good luck with your recovery, and be patient and compassionate towards your body! x

I went to the doc today and got approved to start running again!  I'll be going for an easy jog later this evening.  I've never had an injury like this before, so I'm not really sure what to expect.  Total time from onset has been 6 weeks and time since diagnosis 1 month.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I went to the doc today and got approved to start running again!

Yay!  Glad to hear it!

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

The shirtless wonder

I went to the doc today and got approved to start running again!  I'll be going for an easy jog later this evening.  I've never had an injury like this before, so I'm not really sure what to expect.  Total time from onset has been 6 weeks and time since diagnosis 1 month.

Excellent news!  Keep us posted.  I'm very interested to hear how things go for you so I have something to measure my progress against when I start running again in a couple of weeks.

Imminent Catastrophe

Me too. Feels good, but be really cautious when starting up again.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016