Returning hamstring issue 9 days out from marathon - advice? (Read 84 times)

Spock

I've been dealing with a chronic low grade on again, off again hamstring issue for the last 16 weeks. Some days and even weeks I have no discomfort at all while running, even on long runs, other days it just seems to keep sending me text messages letting me know it has not left town completely. This morning after my run it has returned with a bit more tenacity, aching like a toothache deep in the belly of my hamstring and continuing on most of the day.

As I am 9 days out from my marathon, I'm am pondering what best to do. First off, I am 68 and this will be my last marathon. My goal this go around is to finish in a respectful time while taking in the sights and sounds of the event. I have no specific PR goal in mind at all.

My choices so far are:

1. Rest completely with only walking until race day and try to heal up as much as possible, accepting the fact that I will lose some fitness gains by doing that.

2. Do some easy light cross training like the elliptical every other day

3. Rest for the weekend and if it feels better, try for a very easy 2-3 mile every other day run next week.

I've also had dry needling done in the past with some success and thought of maybe getting my PT do do that again on Monday, although I wonder if having something like that done so close to race day might be a bit risky.

Thoughts?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I've been dealing with a chronic low grade on again, off again hamstring issue for the last 16 weeks. Some days and even weeks I have no discomfort at all while running, even on long runs, other days it just seems to keep sending me text messages letting me know it has not left town completely. This morning after my run it has returned with a bit more tenacity, aching like a toothache deep in the belly of my hamstring and continuing on most of the day.

As I am 9 days out from my marathon, I'm am pondering what best to do. First off, I am 68 and this will be my last marathon. My goal this go around is to finish in a respectful time while taking in the sights and sounds of the event. I have no specific PR goal in mind at all.

My choices so far are:

1. Rest completely with only walking until race day and try to heal up as much as possible, accepting the fact that I will lose some fitness gains by doing that.

2. Do some easy light cross training like the elliptical every other day

3. Rest for the weekend and if it feels better, try for a very easy 2-3 mile every other day run next week.

I've also had dry needling done in the past with some success and thought of maybe getting my PT do do that again on Monday, although I wonder if having something like that done so close to race day might be a bit risky.

Thoughts?

If it was me, and I knew that I responded well to dry needling I would absolutely get that done the Monday before the race.  A) that should be plenty of time to recover; B) you're not in the best place right now, and I think the potential performance benefits of dry needling here outweigh the performance risks.

If you were feeling great and just getting dry needling for the heck of it, I'd recommend against.  And if you had never had dry needling before, I'd also oppose it.  But neither of those apply to you.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As for the other question - I would go with either light cross-training or gentle running every other day, using discomfort as your guide.

This is a soft tissue injury, and IME those don't respond well to complete rest.  You need a small bit of stress on it to promote bloodflow, keep the tissue mobile, and otherwise just encourage it to heal.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Spock

darkwave,

Thank you for the quick reply. I was also thinking seriously of the dry needling and your logic makes sense about the risks vs potential rewards, so I believe I will pursue that. If I can jog a few miles a couple time next week without pain I will, otherwise i will hit the elliptical as that does not usually seem to bother it. Early in my training I also did some deep water pool running which seemed not to bother it, but most "experts" on the internet seem to frown on this, stating that it has the potential to aggravate the hamstring more, so I'm rather conflicted on whether or not to do that.

John Wood

Good luck with the race. I had a similar thing a few years back 2 weeks before a half. Bad hamstring pull, had trouble walking fir a few days. Too late to defer or cancel my hotel reservation, so I tried to come up with a plan. I found a really good PT person who specialized in ART, trigger point, and deep tissue work. They pounded me out, found spots where there was potential scarring, and gave me some exercises to do, and recommended only running a few days before the race, and when I do run, do run walk intervals to keep the stress down. The odd thing they recommended was to do as much of my walk intervals backwards to relieve stress. And it worked.

I do fully think we are all an experiment of one, so if you had good results with dry needling, do it instead of the deep tissue work that was good for me. But I will suggest the run walk intervals. I was amazed at how that kept the stress from building up as I healed.

SMART Approach

It appears you have worked through this over last 16 weeks. The concern is it appears to have gone on to another level perhaps to a strain. Any discomfort with walking? Does it feel better today? Activity is good to encourage healing but do nothing to irritate it. I would not do static stretching but more dynamic movements. I am curious if you have been doing strength work the last 16 weeks? If not, this is probably why you are still dealing with this.  Before activity and runs really get it warm and loose. I like far infrared heat wraps/pad or a hot Epsom bath and walking and dynamic movements before activity and regularly. I would be doing this daily.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Spock

Thanks to all of you for responding - I do genuinely appreciate it.

John,  I am doing the walk run thing now, but will shorten the run intervals and lengthen the walk intervals while adding the backward walking. Just curious, I'm assuming you are much younger than I, but how did the half marathon go - did your hamstring issue limit you or nag you the entire way? I'm expecting mine to let me know it is there, but hoping to run through the discomfort by employing a slower pace and liberal walk breaks, but it is unknown territory as I've never dealt with this type of injury before.

Tchuck,

It is feeling much better today and no pain with walking or climbing steps. If I bend over and put a little stretch on it, I definitely feel it, so I am trying to avoid that movement or any static stretching like the plague. I have done strength and core training for nearly all of my life and continued with 45 minute sessions 3X per week during my marathon training. I'm a firm believer in strength and prehab training for running and have always incorporated that into my running programs, even more so as I've aged. The marathon itself has been postponed three times and so in essence, I've kind of been in perpetual training mode for 2.5 years, and my PT thinks my body is simply showing the effects of this. A week ago I ran an 18 miler and the hamstring felt fine the entire time, but the next day it was fairly sore and achy and has not returned to normal since. Again, my PT believes that even though I never had an "Oh, sh#*$" moment where I felt something go, I probably sustained a lot of micro-tears in the muscle and now when I go to run again, I'm picking the scab off the wound , so to speak.

The dry needling did seem to help, and allowed me to run a short 5 miler two days after, but two days after that an 8 miler left me sore and achy again, so I guess thinking things were okey dokey was fools gold. I have been doing the hot Epsom salt baths and walking 4-5 miles per day, and also doing soft tissue flossing with VooDoo bands on the hamstring before and after every walking or cross training exercise as recommended by my PT.

John Wood

I’m 66, and the half went much better than expected. This was about 10 years ago. Only 10 minutes slower than one I did 6 weeks prior.  The hamstring only bothered me once on the run. In looking at my log, there were a few intervals I went down to a 9 minute mile pace, much faster than I had planned on. That was when I felt some discomfort.

I know how you feel about the perpetual training. Right as Covid hit, I had scheduled 4 marathons for March. One each weekend. The first one happened, everything else was cancelled. I made the decision to just keep my base up, the decided to increase it back in January. It went well until it didn’t. So, I’m dealing with a calf issue and just dropped down to a half for Grand Rapids, which would have been my first marathon in a year and a half, when I was just getting used to 2 in the spring and 2 in the fall. And prior to the calf issue, I just set a PR in  5K and 10K in August. Oh, well, I think this complaint goes into the category of first world problems.

Spock

John,   That is encouraging that you were able to run it mostly pain free. Do you remember any of the exercises they prescribed?

You know, I've been running for 55 years - ever since I posted a good time in the 600 yard dash as part of the President's Physical Fitness testing at my junior high school and the Phys Ed coach told me to show up on the track for cross country practice the next day. Notice I said "told me" and not "asked me". You could do stuff like that back then. Anyway, I never stopped running and didn't have so much as a sore muscle until I hit about 56 and then the wheels started coming off injury wise. It really stinks because my motivation, drive,  and ambition are as high as ever, but my body is trying to get through to my stubborn head that it's had enough of the long distance stuff. This upcoming marathon is my swan song for marathons - not so much because I wouldn't want to keep doing some, but my body just won't tolerate the training as a second job anymore. I plan to keep running as long as I can get out the door, but increasingly more for continued peace of mind and overall fitness.

Sorry to hear about your calf issue. Been there, done that. It was the one injury that actually stopped me in my tracks and made me take some time off. Dry needling was the only thing that helped me with that and I tried everything.

Spock

John,  Just noticed your other thread looking for a PT in Michigan. Who did you see while in North Carolina? I live in North Carolina presently.

reggie888

I would give it a rest and change plans for a later race, say in the spring, to give time for a good recovery before gradually returning to training.  I had a calf pull last year and it took 8 weeks before I would no longer feel it on test runs.  Early this year I had a bad high hamstring injury near the sitbone while trying sprints on a track that has taken a long time, but tendons harder to heal than perhaps something "deep in the belly" of the muscle.  I've found that if I run too early in any recovery process I can re-injure the tissue and and be forced back to square one. That's how it's been for me in the last 5 years or more (I'm 74).

SMART Approach

You are managing well. I think you will be ok for race day but you can anticipate the soreness after. You can heal after. Just keep thing slow and shorter until race day. Great warm ups. Good luck.

Tchuck,

It is feeling much better today and no pain with walking or climbing steps. If I bend over and put a little stretch on it, I definitely feel it, so I am trying to avoid that movement or any static stretching like the plague. I have done strength and core training for nearly all of my life and continued with 45 minute sessions 3X per week during my marathon training. I'm a firm believer in strength and prehab training for running and have always incorporated that into my running programs, even more so as I've aged. The marathon itself has been postponed three times and so in essence, I've kind of been in perpetual training mode for 2.5 years, and my PT thinks my body is simply showing the effects of this. A week ago I ran an 18 miler and the hamstring felt fine the entire time, but the next day it was fairly sore and achy and has not returned to normal since. Again, my PT believes that even though I never had an "Oh, sh#*$" moment where I felt something go, I probably sustained a lot of micro-tears in the muscle and now when I go to run again, I'm picking the scab off the wound , so to speak.

The dry needling did seem to help, and allowed me to run a short 5 miler two days after, but two days after that an 8 miler left me sore and achy again, so I guess thinking things were okey dokey was fools gold. I have been doing the hot Epsom salt baths and walking 4-5 miles per day, and also doing soft tissue flossing with VooDoo bands on the hamstring before and after every walking or cross training exercise as recommended by my PT.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Spock

reggie888,

Unfortunately, rescheduling is not an option - an 800 mile trip with reservations already made for the week and no refunds at this point. Fortunately, this seems to be a more 'deep in the belly' issue rather than proximal tendinopathy.  If I were planning on running anything long in the future, I would agree with you 100% and be more concerned about re-injury, but this is it for the long stuff, so I'm more concerned with just finishing and trying to mitigate the pain as much as possible along the way. Thanks for your wisdom and expertise - I do appreciate it.

tchuck,

Thanks for the encouraging words - I need that. I certainly anticipate significant soreness after the run, and probably a fair amount of discomfort during the run, but as long as it is not enough to stop me, I'll soldier on. As someone once told me, if you make friends with pain, you'll never run alone, and I have found that to be true. I just need to get to the starting line in one piece and then pray for strength to see me through. Thank you again - I do genuinely appreciate it.

John Wood

Spock,

As far as what exercises i did, I kept it simple. Eccentric calf stretches, and lots of different lunges. All very gentle and easy. I just got into a habit of doing a few of both at random moments during the day. 
                              For my massage/PT work, I used Rachel Wilde. She has a space in downtown Raleigh. If you are near there, I highly recommend her.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

At a week out from your marathon, please remember that you are not going to lose fitness gains if you rest now. This should be taper time anyway. Good luck!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.