How not to operate a specialty running store (Read 1431 times)

I went to my local running store wanting to try on pair of Brooks Trance 8s. Without even a look at my form, they told me that the Trance probably wasn't the shoe for me. They brought out Nikes, Mizunos and more... even a pair of Adrenalines which is what I was actually wearing when I walked it. I finally pushed the issue and asked if I could just try a pair on to see how they feel. They then conceded that they only had a few pairs, and none were in my size. It was obvious that they were basing their sales on what they had in stock, rather than what the best shoe was for me. It seems to me that the main reason to go to a place like this is for the expert opinions, since I can get the shoes and other equipment online for less. I was very much in need of a shoe, so I asked for a pair of Adrenalines in blue. They said that they weren't available in blue yet. I was wearing a pair, so I knew they were indeed available. This was another sales point based on their stocks and not my needs. In the end, I tried out and bought a pair of Trances at a chain store a short distance away. Thanks for sitting through my rant.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Doesn't sound like a good way to stay in business, that's for sure.

Run to Win
      25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Yeah, sounds like a store that really wants your business Roll eyes At least you know not to go back to that place again. How do you like the Trance's?

Feeling the growl again

I cringe every time I have to send a new runner to a store for shoes....it seems like 2/3 of the time no matter their size or shape they come out with Brooks Beasts. No surprise problems usually follow. Personally I've given up on local stores. I've tried to support them, but even a local one here owned by none other than Bob Kennedy rarely stocks shoes on the lighter end and has zero selection of race shoes. I know they are a business that must cater to the largest segment but given the cost of gas it is not effective for me to drive 40min to the store, just to end up having to have them order the shoe and then drive back again to pick them up. I just order online now.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Old, Slow, Happy

I have to agree this you-all. I worked by myself to find that Brooks Beasts give me the support I need for my flat feet and over-pronation. The local store continually put me in New Balance. I always had sore feet. Then I noticed that New Balance is in the store name. I'm not sure who I can trust to advise me on shoes, so I experiment myself. I just go to one of those on-line shoe-dogs and put in my information. Then I can look at all the shoes that might work. I worked through those for several years and settled on the Beast.
            kjgienapp

I went to my local running store wanting to try on pair of Brooks Trance 8s. Without even a look at my form, they told me that the Trance probably wasn't the shoe for me. They brought out Nikes, Mizunos and more... even a pair of Adrenalines which is what I was actually wearing when I walked it. I finally pushed the issue and asked if I could just try a pair on to see how they feel. They then conceded that they only had a few pairs, and none were in my size. It was obvious that they were basing their sales on what they had in stock, rather than what the best shoe was for me. It seems to me that the main reason to go to a place like this is for the expert opinions, since I can get the shoes and other equipment online for less. I was very much in need of a shoe, so I asked for a pair of Adrenalines in blue. They said that they weren't available in blue yet. I was wearing a pair, so I knew they were indeed available. This was another sales point based on their stocks and not my needs. In the end, I tried out and bought a pair of Trances at a chain store a short distance away. Thanks for sitting through my rant.
              You wouldn't happen to live in or near Jackson, MI? I saw JCC 5k on Sept 7th and assumed it was the Jackson Community College 5k. If you do live around here, I know exactly which running store you're talking about. The team I help coach used to buy our running shoes and gear there but we were tired of getting stuff late or never getting it. Its sad because they lost a lot of business.
              PRs: mile: 4:30.2 3k: 9:00.8 5k: 15:33.4 8k: 25:50.3 10k: 32:57.7 13.1: 1:14:38.4 30k: 1:56:34.2 26.2: 3:52:14.8

Hoping to Run Again :-(

That's such a shame. Reminds me of shopping with DH for shoes at the nearby "Outlets." He doesn't run but wanted a good cushioned shoe. In both Nike and Adidas stores the young salespeople drove me insane trying to sell him all of these goofy shoes that I knew were junk. I had a list of appropriate ones and the initial sales people gave me blank looks when I mentioned them. Eventually we found a stack of Supernovas and thankfully they fit well. I actually half expected such treatment in the Outlet stores though. To be up-sold based on inventory at a running store is truly disappointing and unethical.
                ~ Fly ~
                Only as much as I dream can I be.
                veggies on the run
                erendis

i've had good luck looking at the websites for local running clubs and seeing what local stores they link to. went to a small running-only store and they were great! did a proper fitting and let me try each shoe, running to the curb and back before buying.
                  I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. Pablo Picasso
                    You should let the management know. I had a similar problem at one of the running store chains in Canada (hmmm....maybe there is only one?). Anyhow, I didn't get very good advice and ended up in a LOT of pain due to the wrong shoes. I hate to complain, but I sent an email to customer service telling them that they should train their staff better and they ended up giving me my money back for the wrong shoes, despite the fact that I had worn them for about 100 miles. Worth a try, anyway.

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a local running store near where I live and work. They stock the shoes I prefer (which are not Brooks or Asics or any of the other super popular ones). They offer a fair price. They support local training runs and races. It is a pleasure to support them.
                      C-R

Has the same issues in SW IN. You would think runners serving runners would be a good combination but it's not always the case. Don't give up on local shops. Someone might just decide to give these guys some competition do it properly in your town and they will need your first look. I have some good options up here now. Spaniel - agreed on the shop you mentioned. I'm sure you've tried the AA or RF (Carmel). RF people have been great for me but I don't run anywhere near your level. AA seems more tuned to high performance runners. They are a bit above my comfort zone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I agree that you should let management know. I have had a majority of great experiences at my local running store. They have been quick, helpful, and ready to strike up a conversation with me. All the sales clerks are active runners. One day, I even made the mistake of showing up during the store's junior high cross-country sales day. The crowd was actually spilling out on to the street. I reluctantly ventured in since I had forgotten my lone pair of running shoes at a friend's house. The place was a madhouse. They recognized that I was not with the crowd and gave me the special sale anyways (15% off) since I had to wait. Supporting local is important to me since they typically sponser local events, runs, etc. This is not something you will find at the chain store or online retailer. I did have one bad experience there. The attendant was very rude and was trying to rush me out of there before store close. I told him that it was very important that I get a new pair of shoes soon since they were near retirement age. To this, he responded that I could easily put more miles on my shoes than what I had at the time. I told him to piss off because he had no right to tell me how long my body will go on a pair of shoes. I put an email into the store manager who comped me with a store coupon. I haven't ran into that A$$hole since. Hopefully, he got fired.

Ryan

Just want to add that my local running store is the BOMB! Love them. They make you run around several times before even suggesting a shoe. They encourage people to put them on and go run up and down the block several times. They support local races, and training groups for those races. Great bunch of knowledgeable and friendly people!

http://www.runningnotes.net

Just want to add that my local running store is the BOMB! Love them. They make you run around several times before even suggesting a shoe. They encourage people to put them on and go run up and down the block several times. They support local races, and training groups for those races. Great bunch of knowledgeable and friendly people!
                              My local store is the same way (Maine Running Company) - the owner has been involved with Product Development for Nike and Brooks and has a really well trained staff. They don't know too much about trail shoe options, but they are solid on their road shoe knowledge and have a great fitting process.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Don't give up on local shops. Someone might just decide to give these guys some competition do it properly in your town and they will need your first look.
                                I agree here. One local shop didn't do a great job with me, so I tried the other, "bigger" local store and they have been great. I only had bad service once, and it was on a night the store does an organized run so the staff was already focused on that. For now, order the shoes you like online, but give any new stores a shot.

Chris
                                PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k