Knee trouble. (Read 555 times)

I've only been running for a few months now (running WELL anyway) and have recently started to develop some knee problems. The pain runs along the inside edge of my kneecap and only seems REALLY bothersome when I push upwards (hills and the like). This makes me think that it is likely a tendon issue. I’m very reluctant to stop training for fear of falling back on old habits. On the other hand, I don’t want a bothersome knee to become an injured knee. Does anyone have advice on what the problem might be or on solutions to it? (By the way, I’m loving this site and the community.)

Now that was a bath...

Right there with you on the knee pain. Mine is left knee on the left side that wraps around the back. It's gone from a feeling of weakness to a niggling twinge with the occasional stabbing pain when I go up or down hills/steps. I have pretty much decided that the hills are to blame and I am going to resume gentle running on the flat tomorrow after two days off. Like you I don't want this to become worse, but I am also reluctant to miss run days. Hope someone has a good answer for you. Much googling on my behalf suggested Runner's Knee as a possibility. You could google that. I found some stretches that were suggested for it here...http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spknees.html and some good info. Another possibility that i looked at was Iliotibial Band Syndrome. http://www.drpribut.com/sports/spitb.html Most of the reading that I found seemed to suggest running should be decreased (not stopped) and that you should avoid running down hills. Good luck and quick healing! Claire xxx
    • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
    • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi, Buck. It's really common for newer runners to get knee problems. The most common culprits are old/inappropriate shoes or just plain pushing too hard too soon. I've been running about a year and a quarter now and still when I run more or harder than my body's ready for my knees hurt. At this point I wouldn't say you have to stop training. But you might want to intentionally scale back for a week or two (cut distance and effort level), re-evaluate your shoes (maybe having your gait analyzed at a running specialty store), and start icing your knees after runs. And lay off the hills until those knees are feeling better! I've learned that just because something starts hurting doesn't mean that you have to quit running. It does mean, however, that you've got to listen more carefully to your body and do what it's asking, whether it wants an extra day off or just not to run on that road that slants so sharply to the side...

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks for the advice folks. I'm currently on my 3rd day off of running. Walks only. Sad I'll try a short run tomorrow and see how it goes. For the time being, I don't know what to else to do. Listening to one’s body is a tricky proposal when one first starts training. If I stopped when my body told me to, I’d never have gotten out my door. SIDEBAR- Claire, Congrats on the high platelet count. I knew that sending good mojo via the internet was a legitimate healing practice.

Now that was a bath...

So did you run yet? I just figured that due to the time difference (me being a day ahead) we actually stopped running on the same day. Of course I hope that you'll be back out there before me as it looks like i'm on the bench for a couple of weeks. I'm just curious as to how my knee pain buddy is doing! Claire xxx
          • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
          • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.