I was hit by a car ! (Read 1435 times)

De-slacking in progress

OH... no... not while running... Big grin Coming home from work Monday night 2am and while on a two mile long straight stretch, I was following two other cars south. A car (actually a pickup truck) was heading north. He went past the two cars in front of me and then proceeded to slam into me while I was going 55 mph. Hit me head on (off-set) in the left head light and then took apart my car as he traveled on before he went upside down in the ditch. I thought I was playing NASCAR, spinning and flying down the road. My car stopped 200 feet from the point of impact. Nothing but pure pitch black darkness for a few minutes until other cars arrived on the scene to help me. Called 911 on cellphone, the hauled me away on backboard to hospital. I'm ok- by the Grace of God and the engineers of General Motors, I got away with NO broken bones or major cuts. Mainly cuts from the glass and both eye were full of glass so i was basically blind until I got to hospital and they got it all out. A couple things really make me angry- I'm stiff as a board from going 55mph to zero in a few secs and right now I can't HTFU enough to even think about running. I'll be really angry if I'm not good to go for my Turkey Trot 5K. I will HTFU and do it even if I have to walk (just paid for it last week) Guess what insurance this guy has.................. none Guess where this guy works......................... he has no job Guess what his choice of liquids were that night.............alcohol Guess what the drunk's injuries were.....................NONE It is his SIXTH DUI and I'm getting stuck holding the financial bag and that's the part that really stinks. Cry It happened so fast that I don't think I even had time to flinch so that was probably good- didn't have time to tense up and was relaxed during impact. I can always get new "stuff' and I'm just thankfully I was able to return home to my DW.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

jfa

Holy Smokes ST- that really sucks but the bright side is that you could have ended up looking like your car!Or worse!

protoplasm72

Wow, that is scary. I'm glad you are ok. It's amazing no one was seriously hurt.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

JimR

It is his SIXTH DUI and I'm getting stuck holding the financial bag and that's the part that really stinks. Cry
          Oh, nice. I hope they lock this dumb schmuck up for good. glad you're okay
            How in the world are 6 time DUI offenders free to kill people and small time offenders get locked up. That distruction looks scary, and the scarier part is you are debating if you should run that race.

De-slacking in progress

That destruction looks scary, and the scarier part is you are debating if you should run that race.
              It will be about one and 1/2 weeks from crash date to race day- I'm hoping I'll be able to run just fine once the muscle soreness goes away. But then again time will tell- I'm sure I can walk it if nothing else. Plus my DW and cousins son is doing the race with me.

started running @ age 48 [lost 70#+, quit a 30 year pack/day habit>> ran HM]  Ran a few years then quit. Gained 70#+ back and smoking like before. Time to get healthy again @ 52 years over with the C25K program and beyond again. RE-start date 1-13-14

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Wow! You are so fortunate to be walking away with some stiffness and some glass picked out of your eyes. How crappy that this guy is still on the road endangering people!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

De-slacking in progress

JimR match your fat lip with my peppered face Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin (I'm still picking glass out of my face as it works to the surface)

Dave

Glad you're OK, Slap. 6 DUI's .... Sheesh...

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Go Pre!

Holy sh!t dude. Holy sh!t. Count your blessings. Glad to hear you are ok. This world scares the hell out of me!
                      Ojo

Wow! That is so scary! You are very lucky! Can't believe the 6 DUI's . . . someone like that should never drive again!

Sara

MM #2929

Guess what insurance this guy has.................. none Guess where this guy works......................... he has no job Guess what his choice of liquids were that night.............alcohol Guess what the drunk's injuries were.....................NONE
                          Did he have a license or was he an undocumented driver? Wink Sorry for what looks like a totaled car, but you're alive.

Vim

De-slacking in progress

Did he have a license or was he an undocumented driver? Wink Sorry for what looks like a totaled car, but you're alive.
                            I didn't get the chance to introduce myself as I was strapped to a backboard or they may have found a mark on the top of his head that resembled a tire-iron. Was told he was a shaggy, redneck, long hair, bum. I picture him looking very closely like Craig S avatar- btw Craig S- were you in Ohio Tuesday morning? (btw- who is that in your avatar?)

Wow dude, so glad you are ok! I freakin hate drunk drivers, seriously. There is no excuse for drinking while driving. grrr Tight lipped Hope you heal up quick!
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, my god...this stuff makes me livid. We need punishments in place that don't let DUIers walk the streets after the FIRST offense. Instead of locking up petty criminals we need to put these murderous f*ckers behind bars and throw away the keys. Perhaps if these shits faced REAL punishement they wouldn't let a first offense happen, much less 6. Or allow victims to choose the fitting punishment. I'd be voting for removing his limbs. See how well he can lift those drinks to his mouth and drive if he has no arms and legs. Angry Slap, I'm so thankful you're OK. Sorry about your car, but it obviously absorbed the impact to protect you--good little metal beast. I wonder if a massage might be beneficial while you are so achey.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay