Treadmill v outside (Read 1999 times)

a few weeks ago, there was a blizzard where i live, so I decided to run the treadmill. well, i ended up having to run 70 minutes on it while watching a movie with the commentary on. next time i'm going to run in the blizzard.
      I find treadmill running booooring. So I do a few "games" if ever I use it which makes time pass much faster. For example I might start and warm up with two miles of easy running. Then would increase my speed by 0.2 every 100 meters (quarter laps). For example, I'd start at 6.3 mph and increase to 6.4 , 6.6 , 6.8, ... , 8.5. Then I would go back down the same way back to 6.3 mph. The way back down is harder. I would do another mile easy and if I have time do another increasing speed interval. Then finally cool down for a mile or two. It definitely breaks the monotony of the TM. I do other variants of this or just simple intervals. Doing constant speed from start to finish is very hard. - R

Burninated Peasant

I used to think that the treadmill was wrong because it said I was going slower than I thought I should be. After experimenting a bit, I've just figured out that I warm up at a much slower pace and for much longer than I thought I did - I just didn't know it because I only looked at my average pace for a whole workout. On the bright side, that meant that most of my post-warmup road running was faster than I thought. Apparently, I have a natural tendency to do progression runs. Strange.
          I tell my husband this all the time - I KNOW my treadmill is wrong. I'll jump on and run for 30 minutes at what I know is my usual pace (i'm pretty good at telling what my pace is) and when I'm all done, the display shows that I've run like a whole mile less than what I know I should be at. I think I partially proved my theory when I got my Garmin. My average pace outside with the garmin is about 5mph. But when I get on the treadmil, my steady pace is 4.2. Ive tried it at a 5 for long periods of time and I just cant keep up with it. So thats my story anyway.....

Feeling the growl again

Why run on it at all? Even if we had the room for one I don't know that I'd want one. I'd rather invest in footwear and clothing that allows me to run outdoors in any conditions. k
            I have to watch my daughter in the evenings, so I can't go outside to run. It's either sit on the couch, or tolerate the treadmill.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Well, seems as if I am in the minority, but I actually like using my treadmill. I split my first M training about 40/60 (TM versus outside). Even did a couple 2 hour+ runs on it. Of course I have a TV/DVD/VCR combo that helps me get through it. Nothing like screaming at the top of my lungs for someone (DD, DS, DW) to come down and change out a movie. Hmm, maybe that's why they are always after me to run outside?

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Here's another weird thing. If I do manage to actually do 5 or 6 miles on the mill, I NEVER feel like I've been running, afterwards. Even if I've worked up a sweat, I just don't have that "feeling" you get after running outside. Weird.

- Anya

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

Here's another weird thing. If I do manage to actually do 5 or 6 miles on the mill, I NEVER feel like I've been running, afterwards. Even if I've worked up a sweat, I just don't have that "feeling" you get after running outside. Weird.
                  I know exactly what you mean. I don't know how to describe it, but I can relate!

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

juki

Count me among owners of treadmills with dodgy distance readings. I was convinced my treadmill was telling me I was running slower than I actually was, but had to buy a footpod for my Garmin 305 to confirm it. The treadmill consistently clocks about .025 miles short for every mile. That doesn't sound like much, but on a 20 miler that adds up to a discrepency of half a mile. For regular running, I will basically put up with just about any weather over running on the treadmill, especially for long runs. But I do use it for tempo runs and for aobut half of my recovery runs. I have to use the footpod for the tempo runs so I'm not running too fast. For recovery runs, I don't bother wearing the pod. I just factor in the distance difference and fudge it (ex: for a 6 mile recovery run, I just run 5.85 miles and note it as "6" in my log). Anyway, a $50 food pod has allowed me to have a pretty accurate idea of what I'm doing on the treadmill.
                      Why run on it at all? Even if we had the room for one I don't know that I'd want one. I'd rather invest in footwear and clothing that allows me to run outdoors in any conditions.
                      Me too, Zoom, but the whole dark/ shady/ dangerous thing keeps me indoors sometimes Sad I don't like the mill, but it allows me to get in my miles when it's dark outside (dark when I leave for work, dark when I come home from work).
                      2009: BQ?
                      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Me too, Zoom, but the whole dark/ shady/ dangerous thing keeps me indoors sometimes Sad I don't like the mill, but it allows me to get in my miles when it's dark outside (dark when I leave for work, dark when I come home from work).
                        Ditto here. I am not comfortable running alone at night. Once summer comes and the sun rises sooner, I'll chance the outdoors. The frustration is I get caught up looking at the slow pace (3.5-3.8 mph) and wonder if I ever will be fast enough to race. When I can actually run outside, it's the most encouraging thing ever.

Chris
                        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k

Ditto here. I am not comfortable running alone at night. Once summer comes and the sun rises sooner, I'll chance the outdoors. The frustration is I get caught up looking at the slow pace (3.5-3.8 mph) and wonder if I ever will be fast enough to race. When I can actually run outside, it's the most encouraging thing ever.
                          Yep, me too (my fear is stray dogs, not people). I was actually trying to work in more outside mileage this month and next in prep for my March 2 HM and took the dog out with me last Friday. We encountered two loose dogs and I learned really quickly that I can't outrun dogs. Roll eyes Lucky for me they ended up being friendly. I've been too scared since then to go back out in the dark (not sure why it bothers me less in the daylight, I guess the security of more people being around or driving by or something makes me feel safer) so I am back to doing my weekday early AM runs at the gym.
                          ---- Cynthia
                          Rundadrun27

It's 7 degrees Ferenheit here in Central Canada. In this weather, I really only have 3 options. Treadmill, Track, or not running in the Winter. I'm not willing to give up running in the winter. I will tolerate a Treadmill. I also run on the track an my local pool. The best way to eliminate boredom on the Treadmill is to play a game while running. I listen to my MP3 Player while I run, and increase the speed every 3rd song. My challenge is to see how much speed I can handle.
                            runningsharp

I actually like running on the treadmill. I feel like it is more of a workout, probably because I sweat so much more because of lack of wind. When i was training, I rean half my runs on the treadmill and the other half on a bike trail. The treadmill is convient for me because I can do other things at the gym either before or after such as weights or other cardio, and I also need the child care. I always ran my longer (10 or more) runs on the trail. When I trained for my last Marathon, my mom lived with us so I could run on the trail more easily. I also find that I have less problems with my arch (extra bone that pulls on a tiny muscle) when I run on the treadmill. This year when I became pregnant, the cushion of the treadmill was what kept me able to run. But sadly now, I am not running at all, just doing cardio and weights, but I do make lots of plans while I am working out about what I will do when I am not so uncomfortable and achy (should be sometime around May 3). When I first started to run, the treadmill was really hard, but as I got in better shape and learned that I had to run a slower pace on it than I could outside, I didn't mind it so much, the longest I have run is 9 miles. I also like it for interval running, much more convenient than a track. Some people say that they don't feel like they really ran when they run on the treadmill, it is the opposite for me. I feel like that if I just run 3 or 4 miles outside. Someone also said that they do progressive type runs, I find that that style really works well for me on the treadmill, and really passes the time. Plus the more warmed up I am, the faster I am able to run. Anyways, I think that if you want to run and you can't outside, whether saftey, cold or child care, you just do it, and eventually you learn to adapt. It's like long runs, I used to dread them and eventually I cam e to not mind them so much. You do what YOU have to do to be able to RUN. Lisa Oh I thought of one thing that may affect how fast you can run on the treadmill. When I run outside, I run a somewhat consistent pace, but I do tend to slow down and speed up. The treadmill makes you run evenly ALL the time, it makes you maintain the same pace. So you never get a break. You can run a mile outside and run a 10 minute mile, but you may have run a little at 10:30 a little at 9:50, maybe even some a little faster or slower. Someone also mentioned that some people may shorten their stride on the treadmill because of the belt, I wonder then if you would be taking a lot more steps which might make it seem more taxing. I always run at a 1 incline, which is more difficult than a 0, I know because the treadmill I was on one day didn't incline and it was much easier.
                              invisible

a few weeks ago, there was a blizzard where i live, so I decided to run the treadmill. well, i ended up having to run 70 minutes on it while watching a movie with the commentary on. next time i'm going to run in the blizzard.
                                My all time greatest, most memorable run was in a -35 blizzard. It's fantastic to run in a blizzard!
                                90 percent of the game is not giving up.