70% of runners take ibuprofen before every workout. Say what? (Read 1359 times)

Some people are real pussies.

guilty.

Ulcer risk, kidney failure? Reasons I don't take before or during events anymore.

...I had a crashing headache after Monkey and tried to get some ibuprofen to take , and not even the EMTs on course would give me any.  You're ..saying 70% of those runners there were holding out on me?   Angry (not tech savy enough to quote twice)

I did take some IBU after monkey, you asked the wrong runners.

Get off my porch

If that's your biggest concern, then why would your worry about it in an important race, since your recovery time isn't overly important,

It's a fair question. Are there benefits to a pre-emptive dose of IBU? Are the benefits physical or purely psychological? If the latter, are there better ways to overcome discomfort during a big race?

RunJasonRun

It's a fair question. Are there benefits to a pre-emptive dose of IBU? Are the benefits physical or purely psychological? If the latter, are there better ways to overcome discomfort during a big race?

Here's an excerpt from my Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run race report from this past weekend...

I eventually arrived at the final manned aid station at Mile 34.2.  As the volunteers refilled my pack with water, I told them about my knee pain from the IT band tightness.  One friend offered a helpful tip.  “You know the best way to make your knee feel better, don’t you, Jason?   Finish the race.” 

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

Strikes me as pretty bizarre. I don't think I've taken any pill for at least a decade...

MTA - that's probably wrong - I had some painkillers when I broke my shoulder ~6 years ago

Here's an excerpt from my Pine Mountain 40 Mile Trail Run race report from this past weekend...

I eventually arrived at the final manned aid station at Mile 34.2.  As the volunteers refilled my pack with water, I told them about my knee pain from the IT band tightness.  One friend offered a helpful tip.  “You know the best way to make your knee feel better, don’t you, Jason?   Finish the race.” 

Your friend is awesome.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

Wandering Wally

I can't believe that many people would be taking ibuprofen before a run.  I will not touch the stuff unless I am in the direst of need and then only the minimum dosage.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Jill_B

I fly.

How old are the surveys?  Who are these athletes?  I take ibuprofen as infrequently as possible - I used to take it a lot before/during runs, but that was probably 10-15 years ago.  Advil even was a big old sponsor of one of my early marathons (and given out at the aid stations).  Times change...

Bring it on.

The key sentence in that article (for me) is "In surveys, up to 70 percent of distance runners and other endurance athletes report that they down the pills before every workout or competition".  What this tells me is they found one survey (out of who knows how many) where 70% of people claimed to take ibuprofen before workouts or competitions.  Never mind that 99% of the surveys out there probably have a much lower number, if they found one study under some special circumstances that said 70% then they can say "in surveys, up to 70%..."

I did it once before I knew it was bad and I ended up really, really sick after my 8 mile run.  I've never done it again.

dallison

registered pw

I would take advil before a race when my knee hurt, but that was it. I don't touch it before or after a workout.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Feeling the growl again

Speaking only for myself, I think the biggest issue is that IBU interferes with the recovery process/training response. What's the point of hard training if I undermine my ability to rebuild damaged tissue?

What is the evidence for that?

I would never take it before a run for prophylactic reasons.  But lately I have beenbreaking with a couple inflammatory- related issues in my hip and pelvis that really flare up if I run doubles.  So if I feel it coming on I will take some to prevent a full evening of pretty significant nerve pain from the muscle inflaming around the nerve.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

SMART Approach

I know there is evidence in mice (97% of the genes of humans) that shows a negative effect in skeletal muscle heaing post injury. I would have to look further for human evidence. Cox 2 enzyme activation is a key component for all healing. As you know, NSAIDS inhibit Cox 2.

In my world, I deal with bone/fracture healing.  In the acute fractures I deal with, orthopaedics docs and podiatrists will always recommend their patients to not take NSAIDS for several weeks and beynd early inflammatory healing phase.  It is pretty much a standard now in the industry to not take NSAIDs if trying to heal a fracture.    From my perspective from the outside looking in, my opinion is that periodic use is probably ok. Also, with all medicine you weigh the benefits vs risk.  I take it on occasion.  I now usually take a natural product (ani-inflammatory) now called Curamin for inflammation and discomfort. I have noticed similar results and am quite happy with it.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Mmmmm...beer

Suck it up buttercup. 

Masking an injury (or soon to be injury), with any kind of pain meds is just stupid.  If it's normal soreness/pain from a tough run (like what I felt yesterday from my 26.25 mile run), then you just deal with it and let your body heal.  Don't like it?  Then find another hobby.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

What is the evidence for that?

I would never take it before a run for prophylactic reasons.  But lately I have been breaking with a couple inflammatory- related issues in my hip and pelvis that really flare up if I run doubles.  So if I feel it coming on I will take some to prevent a full evening of pretty significant nerve pain from the muscle inflaming around the nerve.

useful overview here. For additional reading, see notes 12 and 19-19 in the linked editorial.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

In my world, I deal with bone/fracture healing.  In the acute fractures I deal with, orthopaedics docs and podiatrists will always recommend their patients to not take NSAIDS for several weeks and beynd early inflammatory healing phase.  It is pretty much a standard now in the industry to not take NSAIDs if trying to heal a fracture.    From my perspective from the outside looking in, my opinion is that periodic use is probably ok. Also, with all medicine you weigh the benefits vs risk.  I take it on occasion.  I now usually take a natural product (ani-inflammatory) now called Curamin for inflammation and discomfort. I have noticed similar results and am quite happy with it.

This is relevant to my interests...tell me more about Curamin.  1.5 weeks out from my fracture I am taking 1 dose of Norco before bed (10/325, IIRC).  I'm leery to take it more often than that in large part due to several unpleasant side-effects.

Any other recommendations for better bone-healing and what to expect in terms of return to activity?  I already suspect that my mtn biking may be limited for at least a year (so much for my plans of going big when I hit the big four-oh), since my wrist and hand strength will take a long while to rebuild.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay