Can I go from fat and out of shape to running a marathon in 7 months? (Read 490 times)

Mmmmm...beer

I agree that sustainable and long term goals are better, but it's doable.  I went from 240lbs and zero running to 185lbs and a 3:32 unofficial marathon (26.25 mile long run) in 9 months. Go back in my log to April '12 and you can see how I progressed to my "marathon" in December.  Granted, this was not with a marathon in mind, or any kind of plan, I just started eating better and running.  Probably could have done it quicker if I had that goal in mind.  Not saying everyone can or should, but it's possible.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I look my best blurry!

Wow

I agree that sustainable and long term goals are better, but it's doable.  I went from 240lbs and zero running to 185lbs and a 3:32 unofficial marathon (26.25 mile long run) in 9 months. Go back in my log to April '12 and you can see how I progressed to my "marathon" in December.  Granted, this was not with a marathon in mind, or any kind of plan, I just started eating better and running.  Probably could have done it quicker if I had that goal in mind.  Not saying everyone can or should, but it's possible.

probably not fast enough

Everything that's been said here is great, so I can only chip in the same info from a slightly different perspective, but for what it's worth, here goes:  I started running two years ago at 30-35 lbs overweight, partly fueled by inspiration from the NOVA tv program about preparing for a marathon in a short amount of time (6-7 months), starting from zero fitness.  I took longer (about a year) and set my sights lower (half marathon), and I succeeded...half marathon walk/run in 2:57, I think.  I did not reach my weight goal, btw.  I lost weight, but not enough, so I continued running 23-28 miles per week and started using a smart phone app to count calories, and that approach worked.

After running for two years, I have put almost all ambitions as a long-distance runner on the shelf, and I'm very happy with that state of affairs.  For my part, there is nothing magic about any particular running event; I'm doing what feels good and seeing where it leads me.  The marathon has a lot of cachet, but I'm more interested in the 5k for the moment... I want to be one of those guys who has the occasional shot at winning my age group, so that's where I'm focused, and I think it's going to keep me busy for at least a few years.  I'm not very interested in the 10k, but I live in Florida where the Gate River Run (15k) is a big fixture, so if I get bored with 5k's, I might bump to the 15k and try to do well with that.  Or, I could get into sprint triathlons....  Do you see my point?  There's a ton of fun to be had out there, and it's not all found at marathons.

And more to the point, what you really want, a change in lifestyle, is supported most sustainably wherever your heart is.  If that's truly at the marathon distance, then go there by all means, but do take care to avoid hurting yourself. 

Well, nuff said, and I appreciate you posting and letting us all in on your adventure....

jackburton

Seems crazy to spend $130 on shoes?  You may need several pairs by the time you finish training.  You will not be running your marathon in the same pair of shoes (unless you want very painful and possible permanent injuries).

Google Steve Way.  He may be genetically gifted, but still, he should motivate you.

I hate to say this, but anyone and I mean ANYONE can run a marathon.  What's hard, is racing a marathon.  While it might take you 6 or 7 hours, you could finish a marathon today.  If you want to have fun doing it, and not die of a heart attack, then yeah, some training is in order.

You don't need stupid paid apps, a coach, or anything that requires you to spend a lot of bread encouraging the business of marathon training.

Also Google "marathon plan" and follow one.  *shrugs*  It's not rocket science.

Hello all. I'm an overweight but naturally athletic person looking to go from 12-15 miles or run/walk per week to a Marathon in 7 months. Am I crazy or can it be done?

I am 5'11" 245 lbs at 44 years old. I have dropped 15 lbs in the past month by run/walking after doing nothing for years. I can run/walk a 5K in 40 minutes, but I doubt I could run more than 10 minutes without stopping. I have sleep apnea and recently had a wake-up call with pre-diabetic glucose levels due to eating like garbage and drinking too much beer. I live at 5800 feet in Colorado.

My goal is to achieve something I never thought possible. I am motivated and want to tackle something great in 2016, as I turn 45. My first notion was to get one of the Couch to 1/2 marathon apps for my phone and train alone. But then I thought, why stop at 13 miles for my 2016 goals and go bigger. My hope would be to run the Rock-N-Roll marathon in Las Vegas in mid-November, thus giving me 7.5 months.

Am I crazy to set this as a goal when I breath heavily walking up stairs and have a 46" waist?

Assuming it seems feasible, how should I proceed? Are local group training programs a must? I am uncomfortable running with anyone at this point and I don't know if it would be enjoyable around others once I can run for an hour. But having someone tailoring a running program to my health and ability also sounds good. I see there are online based training program that take your current fitness levels into account by using a heart-rate monitor and doing some calibration runs. Pear comes to mind and has an iPhone app with a monthly subscription to tailor a program such as this. Worth doing or not enough?

For what its worth, I went out to my local running store, did a treadmill test and analysis to find some good running shoes at $130 to fit my wide, high arched feet. Seems crazy to spend that much, but I want to make this happen.

Thank you for any and all advice you could offer.

Gregg

Feeling the growl again

Yes -- You can go from fat and out of shape to marathon in 7 months.

Yes -- This would greatly increase the chances of you going from fat and out of shape to marathon and back to fat and out of shape due to injury or burnout.

From your post, a sustainable lifestyle change like you are currently undertaking, rather than a "stunt", would appear to be a better long-term option.

Pretty much this.  You would serve yourself better but focusing on the change and long-term success than some artificial deadline to check a box...and perhaps have such a miserable experience that you lose the taste for the sport.

I've seen people finish marathons with absolutely zero training just to win a bet.  All that proves is that simply finishing a marathon is a function of little more than willpower and an RD which leave the course open long enough to do it.  Much more important objectives are at stake here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I just wanted to add one thing.  OP, don't feel like you have to run a marathon to be a serious runner.  I waited for 10 years before attempting to do one.  Oh and it still was hard and it definitely hurt!  Before that I ran plenty of 5Ks, 10Ks, and halfs and trained much harder than many  marathon training plans prescribe.  Good job on your weight loss and goals to become more fit. 

"Shut up Legs!" Jens Voigt

tomkim

Good luck with your training! But you should take it slow. Like someone said, you don't need to do the marathon to be a serious runner. Hope it goes all well for you.

runnermom61

I recommend reading Mark Sisson's new book, "Primal Endurance" for up-to-date advice on managing your diet (less carbs and the right fats will help correct being pre-diabetic) and training (how to train at an appropriate heart rate to "build your engine" and reduce risk of injury.)   Good luck!  Even if you're not quite ready for the marathon in 7 months, you'll be ready for the next one!

Megan29

Link spam

Let's break this down here

Hello all. I'm an overweight but naturally athletic person looking to go from 12-15 miles or run/walk per week to a Marathon in 7 months. Am I crazy or can it be done?

I am 5'11" 245 lbs at 44 years old. I have dropped 15 lbs in the past month by run/walking after doing nothing for years. I can run/walk a 5K in 40 minutes, but I doubt I could run more than 10 minutes without stopping. I have sleep apnea and recently had a wake-up call with pre-diabetic glucose levels due to eating like garbage and drinking too much beer. I live at 5800 feet in Colorado.

A big difference between being what you did at 20 compared to 44 is recovery time and having adequate recovery time is almost as important as putting the miles in especially in beginning runners (I learned this the hard way and I'm 5'8" 150lb). Not to mention you have sleep apena so your muscles, bones aren't getting adequate rest. You are putting yourself at serious risk for injury.

My goal is to achieve something I never thought possible. I am motivated and want to tackle something great in 2016, as I turn 45. My first notion was to get one of the Couch to 1/2 marathon apps for my phone and train alone. But then I thought, why stop at 13 miles for my 2016 goals and go bigger. My hope would be to run the Rock-N-Roll marathon in Las Vegas in mid-November, thus giving me 7.5 months.

Am I crazy to set this as a goal when I breath heavily walking up stairs and have a 46" waist?

No you aren't crazy you are motivated and that's good! Just remember its a marathon not a sprint to the marathon finish line.

Assuming it seems feasible, how should I proceed? Are local group training programs a must? I am uncomfortable running with anyone at this point and I don't know if it would be enjoyable around others once I can run for an hour. But having someone tailoring a running program to my health and ability also sounds good. I see there are online based training program that take your current fitness levels into account by using a heart-rate monitor and doing some calibration runs. Pear comes to mind and has an iPhone app with a monthly subscription to tailor a program such as this. Worth doing or not enough?

Yes you live in Colorado, I assume there are build programs all over the place. Start with a C25K or 10K program and go from there.  In every one of these programs there are a bunch of people who look exactly like you. And they are all nice and you'll find partners and friends to run with, which is fun, keep that word in mind.

That being said I think you can do it and I think you'll also hate every minute of it. Try circling a date in October you know when the leaves are changing and everything is beautiful and #$%^, get up in the morning, leave your heart monitor, GPS and cell phone at home and just run (or run with the people you met at groups) at your own pace for 60-90 minutes. You'll be in good shape by then (how many people you know in life who can run for an hour at age 44? Also keep in mind running for an hour was something not possible for yourself at age 43). Plus you'll have the time of your life, you'll realize running can be and is FUN, which is a word that many beginning runners (including myself) don't understand.

Trust me once you get to the point where regular 6-8 mile runs are fun then train for distance if that's what you want, and training will be fun too.

Mostly harmless

Wow! You all are amazing. I didn't expect so much thought from these replies. I truly appreciate it. I do not want this to be a one and done goal by any means. I know I need a massive lifestyle change to live past 55. Based on all this great advice I am thinking that 13 miles in probably best. I hadn't thought of injury. Running a 13.1 successfully is certainly better than failing at a marathon due to injury. Thank you all for the great advice. I truly appreciate it. I will look into the Hal Higdon program for sure. They do have iPhone apps for this at $10 which sounds very reasonable.

I imagine that once I can run 3 miles @ 3x per week, I will certainly have a better idea of my base level. I am hoping I can be at that point by the time I do my 5K I signed up for on April 24th.

Cheers to everyone. This forums sounds like a great community.

I think this is a smart move on your part. Good luck with your half marathon  training and please check back with updates on your progress.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Mantas

7 month it's enough to prepare your self for the first marathon. But you really have to work hard, not only on running, but also other kind of exercise, plus food, more rest - real rest, less parties and so on. Maybe it sounds easy, but to change lifestyle, it takes time. And you have to enjoy what you are doing, otherwise - FAIL

Dream Maker

How did your 5k go?  How is training?

Netizen Kane

Agree with the Spaniel and others.

Enjoy the process

Make it a way of life.

The marathon will come, probably after numerous 10ks and halves

And when it does the result will surprise you.

You can expect 10 years of improvement *based on my experience as starting as an overweight 30something)

BimBamBooh

I just run a marathon yesterday, I have forgot how hard is to complete all the distance. There are 2 different things: complete a marathon and run a marathon. If you want just to cross the finish line - it's possible. But if you want to run all the time (maybe one short break at energy stop ) then.... i really don't know