proximal hamstring tendinopathy (Read 79 times)

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

Hey all, i normally hang out in the ultras thread but venturing over here to ask. it's been going on off and on for a year or so. doesn't hurt when i run but owie after just for a while until it calms down and then i forget about it again. who should i see? physio? chiro? lmt?

Bridle Trails 50k 1-13-24 5:39

Cottontail 6 Hour 4-13-24

Cougar Long Series (May,June,July,Aug 2024)

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

I saw a "Doctor of Sports Medicine" who sent me for PT.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I saw a "Doctor of Sports Medicine" who sent me for PT.

the Chiro i saw is threatening the same

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I would try a running oriented PT. Glute exercises and hip strengthening stuff really helped me. Avoided stretching until pain mostly went away and then only very gentle stretching.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I would try a running oriented PT. Glute exercises and hip strengthening stuff really helped me. Avoided stretching until pain mostly went away and then only very gentle stretching.

thanks. i have seen physical models that show hamstring stretches can put pressure on that spot so ive been doing rolling only and also lots of stuff with the bands for glutes & hips, particularly (on the advice of the chiro) as a dynamic warmup. personally, from experience, i find the stuff helps but better after a run not before. one problem i find with PT's is their one size fits all approach and their lack of experience with older runners like me. around here they are all about half my age and that added to the lack of older runners they just default. it seems like recently every priovider my age has retired en masse

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

thanks. i have seen physical models that show hamstring stretches can put pressure on that spot so ive been doing rolling only and also lots of stuff with the bands for glutes & hips, particularly (on the advice of the chiro) as a dynamic warmup. personally, from experience, i find the stuff helps but better after a run not before. one problem i find with PT's is their one size fits all approach and their lack of experience with older runners like me. around here they are all about half my age and that added to the lack of older runners they just default. it seems like recently every priovider my age has retired en masse

I feel your pain (literally!)  I'm an older runner, late 50s, and there is definitely a difference in what you need as an older runner than a younger runner.

SMART Approach

I had this condition over 10 years. Miserable. Address this now as you don't want a chronic pain scenario. Did you diagnose yourself? Does it hurt to sit? Pain with stretching?

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

I had this about 10 years ago. Went to a Sports Medicine doctor and he prescribed lots of PT but also gave me a cortisone shot, which he described as a "needle in my butt".  I was so happy to be able to drive my car again without it being absolute torture. PT was hip and glute  strengthening and stretching. Hasn't come back. *crosses fingers*

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I had this condition over 10 years. Miserable. Address this now as you don't want a chronic pain scenario. Did you diagnose yourself? Does it hurt to sit? Pain with stretching?

yes self diag. does not hurt to sit, nor do i have pain when stretching. the pain is just after a hard effort run. mostly when lifting up the knees (stepping up) and less so walking around but then subsides with movement. ive been doing lots of dynamic movements which seems to help

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24 

a smith

king of the non-sequitur

I had this about 10 years ago. Went to a Sports Medicine doctor and he prescribed lots of PT but also gave me a cortisone shot, which he described as a "needle in my butt".  I was so happy to be able to drive my car again without it being absolute torture. PT was hip and glute  strengthening and stretching. Hasn't come back. *crosses fingers*

glad you are better. i had a cortisone shot for bursitis in the shoulder once, it worked extremely well!

Carkeek 6 Hour 10-19-24