Healthy Bullion? (Read 1533 times)

Does anyone know of a healthy bullion? I eat relatively good, and a staple meal of mine is rice and beans. I cook it with chicken bullion cubes and all of the brands that I can find have "partially hydrogenated" something or other. I understand just buying stock is the logical answer but I make a lot of rice and beans and I'm a cheapass. Is there such thing as a trans-fat free bullion? I don't care so much about the sodium or MSG as the transfat. How bad is it for me to have a tiny amount of trans fat? I probably eat about 1-2 servings worth of this bullion per day, and it does have 0g (which I know is probably .4g in reality).
    For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Can you make your own? Very easy and very cheap. Go to the meat department at your local grocery and ask them for beef bones or use leftover chicken bones. If you prefer veggie, that is easy too. Just simmer the bones and meat cutaways in water and salt to taste. After a few hours (you can ignore it), you will have awesome and CHEAP stock. You may be able to get the bones for free. No trans fats AT ALL.

Imminent Catastrophe

Off-topic, but this reminds me of a college prank a "friend" once pulled... Went for a run with the "victim", and made sure he was the first one in the shower (it was a dorm with a single shared shower). After he finished he unscrewed the shower head and stuffed a couple of bullion cubes in there, then replaced it. The "victim" was next and got a nice chicken soup shower Clowning around Good times...

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Best Present Ever

we make our own sometimes (just made some last night in the crock pot with several chicken carcasses we'd frozen), but usually we use Swanson's Organic low-sodium. It doesn't have any transfat, but it does have msg -- i htink it's labelled as 'yeast extract' which is health-food doubletalk for MSG. But it tastes fine, and works fine, and isn't too unhealthy.

A Saucy Wench

Since trent makes veggie stock he forgot the all important...add VEGGIES to your chicken stock. Carrots, onion, celery...maybe some seasoning too depending on what you use it for. A large chicken carcass can make a lot of stock. When ever I have a roast chicken I throw ALL the scraps in, skin, bones and rough chop the celery, carrots and onion - big hunks of veggies will do. Simmer it all for a long damn time. Cool, strain, chill, de-fat and freeze in usable portions. You can find some without trans-fat I think but I think even the stuff sold at Wholefoods has some form of MSG In a pinch I use "Better than Bouillon" I dont think it has transfat but I dont know, I dont have a jar. Amazon says these are the ingredients Ingredients Chicken meat and natural juice*, salt, cane sugar*, maltodextrin*, natural flavor, dried onion*, potato starch*, dried garlic*, turmeric* and spice extractives.*OrganicOrganic Certified by QAI

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I've yet to find anything bullion-like that's not full of nastiness. You can get ones that don't have hydrogenated oils, but I've yet to find anything that doesn't have MSG or related things. I make my own. Whenever we have bones they go in the freezer. Once there are several carcasses in there I make a big batch of stock and freeze it in various small containers. It's dead simple, and takes very little hands-on time. If we run out, I will buy the relatively expensive liquid stocks at Whole Foods (though even there you can often find them on sale if you're patient). I think my average cost is quite low, given that the homemade stuff is essentially free. And of course if you're cheap, you should be buying your chickens whole. Speaking of which, I have a free-range chicken in my crock pot at home right now, which I bought for 50% off. Seared in a hot oven this morning, and now slow cooking over parsnips & carrots with rosemary. Tis the season for chickens and parsnips.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Define: free range. Evil grin Wink

Mitch & Pete's Mom

If you are using just veggies in your broth, pop for a anise bulb and add it to the broth, it adds some nice flavor.
                  Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.
                  xor

If you are using just veggies in your broth, pop for a anise bulb and add it to the broth, it adds some nice flavor.
                    Heh. Well, only if you like the flavor of anise (very licorice-y to me). In my house, we call it 'anus'.

I make my own. (Sometimes). I keep a ziplock in my freezer and whenever I have veg peels I toss them in. Carrot and green-bean ends, potato, onion and garlic peels, brocolli stalks, fresh herbs, etc. I usually add extra garlic. I do not recommend adding mushrooms - that one came out really bitter! I have some cabbage and chick-pea juice that I plan to try this round. If you steam vegs and dump the juice you can add that too. Also, dont forget to add spices! Bay leaf, pepper corns, tumeric, etc. Mine always tastes a little different, but usually comes out pretty good. I freeze it in small containers.
                        Thanks for the help. I think I may try Trent's method and that better than bullion stuff. The idea of buying fresh stuff just to make stock is kind of foreign to me. I am such a cheapass with food (which is why I am so excited about getting left over meat bones possibly for free).
                        For message board success, follow these three easy steps in the correct order: 1) Read, 2) Comprehend, 3) Post.
                        xor

Thanks for the help. I think I may try Trent's method and that better than bullion stuff. The idea of buying fresh stuff just to make stock is kind of foreign to me. I am such a cheapass with food (which is why I am so excited about getting left over meat bones possibly for free).
                          I think you might have missed a critical point, for some of us at least. We're not buying stuff "just to make stock". We're using leftover pieces/parts (chicken carcass, ends of carrots we chopped off) that might have otherwise thrown away in order to make stock. That's the beauty of stock. As for spices, many of us have dried spices hanging around doing nothing. Adding them to stock... actually, using weird combinations in stock just to see what will happen... is fun and uses up spices that just kind of sit there. Even the anise.

A Saucy Wench

Heck no. I will use wilty old carrots that I dont want to eat anymore. I'll use carrot peels and ends. The parts of the celery I trim off. When I get veggies that I know are going to go bad if I dont use them I'll wash and rough chop and toss them in a baggie in the freezer for the next time I make stock. You strain it out so the texture of the veggies doesnt matter. Stock is the ultimate in making food for free.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. Use leftovers and cutoffs.

Mitch & Pete's Mom

I think you might have missed a critical point, for some of us at least. We're not buying stuff "just to make stock". We're using leftover pieces/parts (chicken carcass, ends of carrots we chopped off) that might have otherwise thrown away in order to make stock. That's the beauty of stock. As for spices, many of us have dried spices hanging around doing nothing. Adding them to stock... actually, using weird combinations in stock just to see what will happen... is fun and uses up spices that just kind of sit there. Even the anise.
                                Note to self, before inviting certain RA members over for dinner, check recipies for potentially offensive ingredients such as anus I mean anise.
                                Carlsbad 1/2 marathon 1/26.