10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

1st 10k Race (Read 535 times)

Today I ran the Market Square Day 10k in Portsmouth, NH. It was my first 10k race. Two weeks ago, I had a great 6.2 mile run in the rain and made it in 59:55. I was excited since a sub-60 10k was my goal. Unfortunately, today was beautiful weather. Beautiful for beach going, NOT for running! It was 70 and sunny. TOO hot for me and running. But, oh well. Did I mention I've been sick and hadn't run Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday prior to the race. Okay, enough excuses, the race report... Beautiful weather. A really fun race, too. Although it starts downtown it goes through several neighborhoods. The residents really get into it and stand on their front lawns and cheer. Several had music playing from their stereos, stuff like "Eye of the Tiger" and the theme from Chariots of Fire. It was great. Quite a few people held out their hoses spraying cool water onto us hot runners. A couple of families had their own water stops as well. Lots of fun, and lots of people cheering for all runners, not just their friends, which is great when you don't have anyone there for you. My family had other obligations today, so I was on my own. Although one woman was cheering for us by saying, "Way to go joggers!" Joggers?! We're runners, baby! Don't you see the sweat pouring off my face as I *run* past you? Smile Miles 1 and 2 were pretty good, I was running on target to make my goal. Not too fast and not too slow, and not swayed by other runners. Miles 3 and 4 were tough. I definitely slowed down. I haven't downloaded my Garmin data yet, but miles 3 and 4 were mostly uphill and there was NO shade. I was dying. The good news is that I HTFU'd and sped back up on miles 5 and 6. I actually told myself in my head to HTFU. So thanks everyone!! Big grin So, a sub-60 goal, and I wound up 1:02:02. Close, but no cigar. Oh well, I am still quite happy with the fact that I didn't let the middle miles get me down and really make my time worse. And it was a fun race. I'll definitely do it again next year. My only pet peeve about the whole race (aside from the woman that passed me, pushing a DOUBLE stroller, UPHILL), was when said woman stopped for water directly BEFORE the water stop, full on in the road, rather than over to the side of the road AFTER the water stop. I'm a mother of two, so I understand all about kids and strollers and being a mom, but that was just rude. Or maybe I was bitter. Blush

http://www.runningnotes.net

A Saucy Wench

Great job!!! Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Nice run for your first race, well done! Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marquess of Utopia

Congrats!
            I am thrilled to say I ran my second 10k last Thursday, and SMOKED my time...drumroll please...57:48!! Smile Smile Smile Two particularly AWESOME moments - ran up a hill that was pretty steep and actually passed people (this rarely happens to me) and at another moment realized I was in the middle of a pack of guys and I was passing some of them (also rare)!!

http://www.runningnotes.net

A Saucy Wench

NICE!!! Woot! Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marquess of Utopia

Keep it up! When is your next 10K? You'll be looking to break 50 minutes before you know it.
                  Way to go Mom. You damn near matched your 5k PR at double the distance. Now that's what I call progress!
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33