10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

First 10k of the year (Read 664 times)

Marquess of Utopia

Great race! Goal was to see what kind of shape I was in, start out with an even 6:00 minute mile pace for the first 5k and see if I could pick it up on the second half. Mile one: Down hill split was either: 5:09, 5:40, or 5:53. They had three markers for the first mile. Mile two: 5:36 must have been short. My shins really tightened up, I really wanted to stop and stretch them out. I was running in a four man pack I tried to relax my stride hang in there and keep the pain at bay. Mile three: 6:20 seemed long. Two of the guys dropped off I felt like my pace was consistent. It was energizing to see a familiar face (Tony) on the back stretch. I decided I had to lose this guy that ran like a horse and was breathing like a steam train. Mile four: 6:12, Felt solid. Lost everyone on the hills. Mile five: 6:06, lonely mile. Occasionally I could see two guys about a minute ahead of me; kept up a solid pace but couldn't gain any ground on them. Mile six: 5:52, breathing down my neck. Just after the 5 mile marker I looked back for the first time in the race. I could see two guys not far back. It wasn't long and I could hear one of the runners; I kept pushing harder to keep him back. A few times I could hear his running cadence increase so I would surge, I wanted to make this guy fall apart. Mile 0.2: 1:05, what a race I put everything on the line. I just couldn't find that extra gear to hold him off in the last 100 meters. 37:08, two and a half minute PR! Last year I ran 41:40 at Friendly Sons of St. Pats. 7th place, 4th (20-29).
      Nice one Joe, Clearly you could run the sub-37 I predicted on a flat course and you came very close as it was. Great progress you've been making this year. I had a much smaller PR yesterday, beating my old one by 10 seconds with a 39:22 on a flat course.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
      Hannibal Granite

Joe & Jim, Nice races both of you!

"You NEED to do this" - Shara

A Saucy Wench

Very nice!

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Nice races, guys!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Great race, Joe! Nice to have a detailed account. Well done Jim, have you posted a report? Great to see you guys both running so well. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Great race, Joe! Nice to have a detailed account. Well done Jim, have you posted a report? Great to see you guys both running so well. Simon.
                Thanks Simon. I didn't do a report for this one. I've been racing so much lately that I thought to write another one so soon might be milking it. I was very happy to run as well as I did without having any of my key rivals there for extra motivation. One thing I will pass along is that I've noticed a positive difference since mixing in some hill reps to go along with the 1600's that have been a staple for a while. The reps always come after a longish run, e.g. 8 miles, with the last few at tempo effort, then the hill reps. One to consider.
                Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marquess of Utopia

Nice one Joe, Clearly you could run the sub-37 I predicted on a flat course and you came very close as it was. Great progress you've been making this year. I had a much smaller PR yesterday, beating my old one by 10 seconds with a 39:22 on a flat course.
                  It's still a PR! Congrats. I'll have a shorer race report this week. I wasn't going to say much, but I had such an amazing race. 28:49 for an 8k. If I had set a goal for the 8k this year it would have been to run a 29:30. I don't plan on running any other 8k's this year so it seemed foolish to set a year long goal for one race early in the season a week after a tough 10k. 1st in my age group, 9th overall. http://www.capitalstriders.org/Results/LTL_2008/LooptheLake_2008.html My goal was to aim for about 5:50 mile splits I was surprised I stayed so consistent in the middle: Mile1: 5:38 Mile2: 5:51 Mile3: 5:53 Mile4: 5:55 Finish: 5:27 I didn't want to be out kicked again.
                    Great race, Joe It's no surprise at all that you could run a time like this on a reasonably fast course. The only question was if you might go in a little leg weary from your recent efforts. I see that you went ahead with the intervals on Thursday, but you kept the pace pretty easy relative to your current fitness level and rested yesterday. I look forward to reading that report when you get around to it. Congratulations!