1500 Miles So Go Run

April goals (Read 811 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, let's hear 'em.

1. - Would love to get the mileage back over 200 this month (Not going to happen - 10 days to run 84 miles)

2. - Get in some good quality speedwork as I prep for a 5K in beginning of June (Actually been going pretty well, getting in two hard sessions a week - usually some 1-2 minute intervals one day and some 1000m repeats the second, with a really hard hill repeat workout every other week)

3. - Maybe start some semblance of a fitness program to tone those muscles that are not located in my legs.

4. - Catch up a few 13.1 mile runs for http://www.runningahead.com/groups/52in52/  (I think I actually fell farther behind)
    5. - Not to forget to tape the Boston Marathon so I can watch it that night.  Usually I go to the gym and watch it live but I have Red Sox tickets for that day. (Red Sox game was awesome - Matsuzaka finally pitched a good game.  Taped the marathon and watched it as soon as I got home.  Unfortunately I got some results by accident on the train on the way home, but it was all good)

xhristopher

but I have Red Sox tickets for that day.

Nice way to take the day off.  Still, I hope it's 45 and overcast. Smile

Put me down for 200. It probably won't be easy.

I'm also running the Healthy Melrose 5(.2)K April 30th pushing my son again. The goal will be to improve my placing from last year, which may not be tough considering most serious runners will probably want to avoid a hilly 5K that is over a minute long at sub 7 min pace. I'm not sure the later start time (noon) was a good idea either. You running that one Jeff? 

Put me down for

1. ~250 miles  262 miles Big grin Big grin Big grin
        2. Double marathon Done Big grin

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

jeffdonahue

Nice way to take the day off.  Still, I hope it's 45 and overcast. Smile

Put me down for 200. It probably won't be easy.

I'm also running the Healthy Melrose 5(.2)K April 30th pushing my son again. The goal will be to improve my placing from last year, which may not be tough considering most serious runners will probably want to avoid a hilly 5K that is over a minute long at sub 7 min pace. I'm not sure the later start time (noon) was a good idea either. You running that one Jeff? 

Nope, not running the healthy Melrose 5K (though i will probably get some crap for it since I'm friends with the organizer).  I still cant remember how I was able to run it last year - Saturdays in April/May for me are tough, I typically have 5 soccer games and a baseball game that I have to get kids to (and I coach one of the soccer teams and assistant coach the baseball team).

Plus, it is WAY long for a 5K.  I think by my measurement last year it is about 3.25 miles.  I mentioned this to the organizer and he said, yeah, that's close enough.  This from an ultra-runner though, where an extra .2 after having run 50 miles probably doesnt mean that much.  But when you are trying for a 5K PR or something, that extra .1-.2 means at least a minute extra.

Also, what are your goals for Boston?  Shooting for sub-3:00??

xhristopher

Nope, not running the healthy Melrose 5K (though i will probably get some crap for it since I'm friends with the organizer).  I still cant remember how I was able to run it last year - Saturdays in April/May for me are tough, I typically have 5 soccer games and a baseball game that I have to get kids to (and I coach one of the soccer teams and assistant coach the baseball team).

Plus, it is WAY long for a 5K.  I think by my measurement last year it is about 3.25 miles.  I mentioned this to the organizer and he said, yeah, that's close enough.  This from an ultra-runner though, where an extra .2 after having run 50 miles probably doesnt mean that much.  But when you are trying for a 5K PR or something, that extra .1-.2 means at least a minute extra.

Also, what are your goals for Boston?  Shooting for sub-3:00??

I promoted the 5K to my Den. So far we've got 4 parents running but I really wanted to get the boys involved in the kids run. Last year it was a mile around the track which is now impossible due to construction. So, not finding any good info online, I emailed the organizer and was told it was a back and forth sprint in the HS parking lot. They boys will easily do it and some may do it well but I'm kinda disappointed in a 45 second sprint substituting for a kids run. They could have at least put cones out for 4 laps (half mile) of the soccer field, which I suggested. He suggested I have the boys run the 5K, which I'm not going to do. None of them are trained for it and I would rather have them think about running as positive. 3 miles is a nice distance for a hike in the Fells. 

I think the organizer underestimates the importance of an accurate course. Lots of folks just run a couple 5Ks a year and might not realize the course is long. Let's say you are a mid pack runner coming out of the winter thinking the running has been going well and then run 2+ minutes slower, probably more with the non negligible hills, than last fall? Might that not be a bit demoralizing? Not the best way to promote the sport. I guess if your goal is finishing, C25K, or similar this race is fine.

Can you tell I've got an opinion on this?

I'm shooting for about 2:59 at Boston. The only way to know if I can do it is to fully commit and try. It remains to be seen if starting from corral six will be problematic with this goal.

1. 180?  190 miles? 

2. 15k PR

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

1> Get up over 200 miles, hopefully close to 250 or so.  I'm already about 10 behind my plan, so 250 is about the max.

2> Race a couple of 5Ks, including a 2nd rematch (three-match?) with my son at a 5K at his college this weekend.

3> Squeeze in a half toward the end of the month to use as a predictor for my marathon May 15th.

4> Drop another few pounds along the way.

L2Run

RoadRunner

1. 180?  190 miles? 

2. 15k PR

Dido... judging by knifey's last 10K,  we'll both PR in the same 15K. 

Dido... judging by knifey's last 10K,  we'll both PR in the same 15K. 

I've run some heavy workouts in the last 14 days...a couple hilly 1/2's...so I am going to take it easy today and tomorrow and hope my legs can hold it together.  Good luck!

#artbydmcbride

190 miles

Runners run

I'll copy Ilene.  190 miles.

Already did my 44 miler on April 3rd so that goal is done. 

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

#artbydmcbride

44 miles!!!  Shocked

Runners run

Looking for 180-190 miles

Was hoping for a 1/2 marathon PR on April 2....GOT IT!!  Big grin

Was planning on signing up for an ultra for October...DID THAT!  Big grin

Hoping for a marathon PR next April 17th

Michelle

Already did my 44 miler on April 3rd so that goal is done. 

Awesome!!! 

Michelle

Thanks! 44 miles was the "easy" part.  The 90 degree temp was the hard part.  Mississippi, congrats on your half PR!  Which ultra will you be doing? Also, which run are you doing in Ohio?

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!