2000Km-1243 mile club

August - Hotter Than July? Discuss (Read 544 times)

It turns out that hanging around with 100 or so runners do nothing but drinking beer for an hour and a half leads to a lot of smack talk and things that seem like good ideas at the time.  And to updated forum signatures.

So several friends and I agreed Saturday morning that we were going to run the infamous Flying Monkey Marathon.  Coming off injury, I wasn't at all interested, but let myself get talked into it (yes, I would jump off a bridge if all of my friends were doing it). Of the four of us, guess who was the only one who got in before it sold out in 5.5 minutes this morning?  Since I won't be doing any speed work for a while, I guess picking a race that will force me to run slow is as reasonable as anything.  Right?

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Jeff, glad to hear you had a good run.  The stress fracture self-diagnosis...I hope you're wrong, but regardless hope  you are fully recovered. 

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

I had a good hard workout at the gym, then did some work painting in the hot sun, then attempted a treadmill run but after 0.9 miles I decided that I don't need this and quit. I don't usually  cut a run short but today I just wasn't up to it. That's OK, sometimes it's good to know your limits.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Since I won't be doing any speed work for a while, I guess picking a race that will force me to run slow is as reasonable as anything.  Right?

That's what I thought as well, then for some bizarre reason entered an ultra.  I must stop hanging out with other runners..........

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

That's what I thought as well, then for some bizarre reason entered an ultra.  I must stop hanging out with other runners..........

You two wild and crazy guys! Well there's motivation for you if any was lacking.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Hotter is right. 5 miles of heat training in Houston today, heat index around 100-105. Wow, I'm glad I don't live in Texas right now. BTW the Camelbak insulated water bottle is GOLDEN. I still had some ice-cold water after 50 minutes and it really helped. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Hotter is right. 5 miles of heat training in Houston today, heat index around 100-105. Wow, I'm glad I don't live in Texas right now. BTW the Camelbak insulated water bottle is GOLDEN. I still had some ice-cold water after 50 minutes and it really helped. 

ACK! 60s and drizzle here all week - everyone is welcome to train here and cool off. Backyard badmitton cancelled due to mud and replaced by championship potato chip eating. I'm actually worried our local 10K in a couple of weeks will be the one and only scorcher of the summer... Got through my workouts this week and taking a planned rest day today - 12 miles tomorrow morning.

Happy Friday, (ultra) marathoners, A

Recalculating...

Did my long run again as a 1 hour bike followed by a 3 mile brick.  The leg is feeling almost 100% but I'm going to work my mileage back up slowly and use the bike for the rest.  My long so far is only 4 miles so it is going to be a while.

I received my new Saucony Grid A4's yesterday but unfortunately they run quite a bit smaller than my other shoes.  I will have to wait another week or two to get the next larger size shipped.  Besides being too small for me I like the way they feel on my foot.  I am very happy with my Inov8 195's but they just aren't budging off their $115 asking price.  I picked up the A4's for $63 off of runningwarehouse so I'm hoping they feel the same for about half the price.

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, after bailing on an easy treadmill run after only a mile because the ankle pain returned, I went to the Ortho today and it turns out I had a hairline fracture of my tibia so it'll be 4 more weeks with no running. at least he said I can do elliptical. Anyway I clearly won't be doing a 50-miler in October. I was kind of bummed until I saw a guy with one leg.

HappyFeat

Is this the same leg that had the stress fracture some time back? That's a drag! From what people say, I guess you can maintain running fitness on the elliptical?

Jeff I'm glad you didn't have a stress fracture after all.

I have an 8-mile tempo run planned for - well - now.

Wish me luck - I'm worn out from stress on the homefront and not sleeping well the last few nights.

It'll prolly go better than I expect - usually works out that way. Well, enough dawdling - off I go.

Hit the 2k KM mark about a week ago I guess. Good luck guys.

PR's
                        800: 2:38|1600: 5:18|3200: 11:55|3 mile:19:07

Perfesser - I'm sorry about the tibia (had to look up exactly which bone it is) I'm sure with rest it will heel. Any other sports to try while on the DL? Swimming?

Off for a 14 miler this morning, its 14*C headed up to 20*C - perfect. 

Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Hope your run goes really well for you today Ayola.

I'll be out the door for 10 miles this morning.

Congratulations on skyrocketing though the goal, LeftyLogan!

Congrats LeftyLogan...awesome.

Have been a bit quiet lately.  Did a 23 km trail "race" last weekend, no entry fees, no numbers, no results, but did pick up a spot prize of an entry into a off-road half.  Had a flare up with the plantar faciatis afterwards, so had a slow week, and did nothing.  Saturday, went out for a run around the block and met up with the local harriers at about 3.5km.  They were off for a short hill climb on a local farm, so tagged along.  Really steep but only 2.3 km long so decided to go up and down twice.  Then ran the 8km home for a total of about 20km.  Followed up with a easy 11km today.  PF still there.  Might be something to do with extra hills I'm running now or maybe the less supportive trail shoes I am wearing in. Who knows.

Bummer about the tib Perf

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Congrats Lefty! I'm way behind - gotta catch up.

Pukekura - A hike sounds like a great idea today if the hubby ever wakes up.

Yesterday's run, not so good. Ran downhill too fast (OK it was fun and the sun was shining) then I had to walk most of the last mile and a half for 12 miles. Extremely tight calves before and after. This morning a did a bit if elliptical and lots of stretching. Last week was way better (although still stiff after) I think my comfy Pegasus are not allowing as much foot/ ankle flex during the long run as the Mizunos, bummer.

Hope you runs are going well, A

Recalculating...