3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Time to stop whining and start making phone calls to find solutions.

False dichotomy.  You can whine AND make calls.

Fingers crossed for improvement.  But I"m not gonna post one of those "hugging spaniel's lower-torso/pelvis" bracket things.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Chiro scheduled for Monday.  I was waffling between this and a massage person that was recommended, but given my history of issues the past few years I decided that getting a good look at my lower back would be more likely to get to the root of the problem and get me on the right track.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

At this point I am considering a real massage visit or perhaps a chiro visit.  I have never done any of that.  But I'm kind of desperate if I can't fix this in the next few days and willing to try stuff.  Thoughts?

A few weeks ago, I turned 40.  A couple days after that, I pulled my back out real bad doing a 2:45 minute workout on a work day.  After sitting at a desk all day, my back was out.  Incredible pain.  I couldn't put my socks or shoes on myself.  I had my wife help me get dressed in the morning.

I had 2 chiropractor visits and 2 massage treatments over the next 4 or 5 days, and I was back to normal.

MTA, my chiropractor office has massage therapists, and I could get a 1 hour massage for a decent price going through my medical flexible spending account.  Plus, no tip (which is a kicker when you go for massages outside of a chiropractor).

(I don't like "back cracker chiropractors".  I prefer a little back cracking with a focus on electolysis with the TENS units and the Brookstone chairs or traction if its real bad)

FWIW, I hadn't gone to a chiropractor in the 10 years prior to my visits a couple weeks ago.  I'm not a Chiro addict junkie.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Feeling the growl again

A few weeks ago, I turned 40.  A couple days after that, I pulled my back out real bad doing a 2:45 minute workout on a work day.  After sitting at a desk all day, my back was out.  Incredible pain.  I couldn't put my socks or shoes on myself.  I had my wife help me get dressed in the morning.

I had 2 chiropractor visits and 2 massage treatments over the next 4 or 5 days, and I was back to normal.

MTA, my chiropractor office has massage therapists, and I could get a 1 hour massage for a decent price going through my medical flexible spending account.  Plus, no tip (which is a kicker when you go for massages outside of a chiropractor).

(I don't like "back cracker chiropractors".  I prefer a little back cracking with a focus on electolysis with the TENS units and the Brookstone chairs or traction if its real bad)

FWIW, I hadn't gone to a chiropractor in the 10 years prior to my visits a couple weeks ago.  I'm not a Chiro addict junkie.

Interesting, thanks.  Yes, about 1X per year I do one of the full-on thrown out backs on myself -- usually doing something where I'm holding a 5-10lb object out to the side of my body then lean over a bit....once a chain saw, once a gallon jug of water.

Not sure if that is related to the current issue.  We will see, hopefully.

I'm waiting on a response to my email if he wants me to totally stop running until Monday...I think I will anyways.  Until I ran last night I was finally back to feeling more or less pain-free going about my normal business.  Now whether sitting or standing my lower back is distractingly tight and uncomfortable and it's unconscious tension I can't do anything about...all to get in 1.25 miles last night.  Roll eyes

I think I am going to set up the old magnetic trainer on my neglected road bike and try that instead.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

#artbydmcbride

False dichotomy.  You can whine AND make calls.

Fingers crossed for improvement.  But I"m not gonna post one of those "hugging spaniel's lower-torso/pelvis" bracket things.

Luckily I will!

{{{{{healing vibes>>Spaniel's lower-torso/pelvis<<healing vibes}}}}}}

Runners run

flarunner

Chiro scheduled for Monday.  I was waffling between this and a massage person that was recommended, but given my history of issues the past few years I decided that getting a good look at my lower back would be more likely to get to the root of the problem and get me on the right track.

Ding! Ding!

I sure hope you find out the source of the problem and get it fixed. Injuries suck.

Feeling the growl again

Luckily I will!

{{{{{healing vibes>>Spaniel's lower-torso/pelvis<<healing vibes}}}}}}

Thanks.  That would have been awkward coming from Clive.  Big grin

Feeling the growl again

Ding! Ding!

I sure hope you find out the source of the problem and get it fixed. Injuries suck.

Thanks, and thanks for your help too.

Thanks.  That would have been awkward coming from Clive.  Big grin

Imagine where it would have put my face!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Slo

Spaniel...I hope you find relief soon.

I'm not out of the woods just yet but progress has been very encouraging...I want to go for a 15 miler in the worst way. One day at a time. Fall marathon PR still within reach.

Good luck on Monday! Hope you are able to get to the root of the problem!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Spaniel...I hope you find relief soon.

I'm not out of the woods just yet but progress has been very encouraging...I want to go for a 15 miler in the worst way. One day at a time. Fall marathon PR still within reach.

glad to see you are making progress! Make sure to listen to your body and you will be PRing at the Marathon this fall (that is assuming everything that can go wrong goes right etc etc)

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Prince of Fatness

I am rebooting......

My hip - ass - hamstring problems started three years ago and I have not been able to completely shake them.  I would have some good stretches but then would have a setback.  The ensuing frustration would lead me into some unhealthy habits.  As much as I love racing maybe it is just not in the cards for me.  I think that the frustration is part of the reason why I am having a hard time losing weight.

So I am giving up running in the training to race sense and refocusing on being healthy and fit.

I'll be looking for something that I can do at home (biking, rowing, something).  I have a nice Cannondale bike that I haven't been on in several years so there is that when the weather gets nicer.  I will continue with core work (have not missed a session since mid November).  And I will still run a few days a week, especially trails.

All this said I may end up signing up for more races going forward since there are no more ghosts to chase.

Not looking for a pity party or anything.  This is a good thing.

That is all.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

So I am giving up running in the training to race sense and refocusing on being healthy and fit.

I don't see this as such a bad thing.  I hear you on chasing the ghosts...that almost drove me to quit entirely in 2007-2009 time frame.

As for things to do at home, if you have a safe area to ride of course there is biking.  I have a cheapo ~$100-150 (in 2000 dollars) fold-up magnetic resistance trainer.  The whole bike can be set up and taken down in 2-3 minutes.  I think it is quieter than running on the treadmill even though it makes some noise.  After one ride it is still more boring to me than running on the treadmill but I expect that to change over time.

I know Tony has some sort of more expensive and fancy setup, but for casual use this works for me.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Getting healthy and fit can only be a good thing!

steph