3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

(((Rocken)) Stay strong!

Hoping things start feeling better soon, MilkTruck.

Not one for hugs, but ...

{{{Rocken}}} (you get an extra squeeze)

{{MilkTruck}}

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

{{{Rocken}}}

MilkTruck, hope that you find an answer soon.

steph  

an amazing likeness

What is this, the year of the hamstring? Seems like an awful lot of people are having issues lately. Or maybe I'm just noticing more because I'm in the same boat.

Looking back over many years (back to college sports even...I played D1 lacrosse and took a beating...), I've never had an injury that would not make progress and heal before. I've seen progress on this hamstring problem....but then with 1 seemingly random stride...back to nearly all the way to square 1.  Even coming back from the car hit, yeah, it took a year to start running again...there was progress from month-to-month after that.  I'm starting wonder if this may be the first time I've really been hit by age limits....uggh.

BHearn, you are one tough mofo...logging 70 miles in 12 hours with a bad hamstring.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

flarunner

{{{Rocken}}}

{{{MilkTruck}}}

I hope both of you get answers and healing soon.

Feeling the growl again

For fuck's sake.  Today was the wife's birthday, we had plans to go out tonight and I came into the day with too little sleep to run in the AM and spent lunch hour with her for her birthday so I thought no run.  Then the flakey babysitter canceled on us last moment, and the wife's first thought was "ok, now you need to run".

She's a keeper, for sure.

So I run.  It feels good.  I am happy.

An hour later, my "good" hip hurts so bad I can barely walk.  I cannot lift my "good" leg with the hip flexor.  I cannot play with my kids.  So we are all grumpy.

I'm about at a loss with this one, other than to try and run on it again tomorrow late in the day after it has a chance to recover and perhaps stretch more aggressively afterwards.  Right now it is in such a state I cannot even attempt my prescribed PT.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Have a beer spaniel. Might help.

Get to recovering rocken, milk truck and spaniel. Too many injuries causing too few miles.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Sorry to hear about the setbacks .... patience, everyone.  Let it heal.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Sorry to hear about all the problems lately. MilkTruck, Rocken, Spaniel, hope you all heal up soon.

I'm trying to recover from a case of bronchitis. The worst is pretty much over, but at about 4 miles into a run I'm pretty much done. Just get tired way too easy right now. I have a 15K race scheduled for this weekend, but that is not looking very likely at the moment.  Then a HM on the 20th. Hopefully by then I can at least cover the distance even if I can't race it.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

Have a beer spaniel. Might help.

I had two.  Not sure it helped but I felt better.  Big grin

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Walk-Jogger

OK, so it looks like I've joined the barely-walking wounded for a few days too. I woke up Monday morning with a new pain in my lower left leg, which Dr. Google assures me is only a case of extensor tendonitis. I've learned a new muscle name, "Extensor Hallucis Longus", a muscle I didn't even know existed before this Monday, so that's worth something. I had only beer for dinner last night and 13 hours of rest (very little actual sleep) on my sofa, plus a heating pad on my lower leg which felt pretty good, and it felt a tiny bit better today - I can almost walk on it now without a limp, so I have high hopes that this is only a very temporary set-back. I'm not positive of what caused this, but I did race a very hilly 5K on Saturday and then did 2 laps on my normal hilly 8-mile loop around town on Sunday. I had no unusual pains or aches during or following either of these, except for a couple of left knee twinges during my long run, which went away with a few seconds of massage.

On a more positive note, my hamstrings feel better now than they have all year, my persistent low-grade DOMS type pains in them seem to be gone.

To those of you with more chronic problems, my best wishes for your soonest recovery. I'm going crazy already after not running for 2.5 days. I have crazy visions of all my goals for this year slipping away...

MTA: Starting to feel more like a tibial stress reaction or fracture, after 4 days of no running and still limping. Guess I'll be going back to the bike for a while.

Retired &  Loving It

lagwagon

MTA: Starting to feel more like a tibial stress reaction or fracture, after 4 days of no running and still limping. Guess I'll be going back to the bike for a while.

make sure you're getting enough vitamin D (and some calcium)!  most of us dont.  heal up.

for me the worst part of being injured is admitting that you need time off.  it took ridicule from coworkers about my minor limp to get me to stop this time.   i've converted to a long walk or 2 per day to take the edge off, and now i'm half way home.  the may marathon is out, and BQ may need to wait another year, but i'm just looking forward run again soon, free of pain.

Walk-Jogger

make sure you're getting enough vitamin D (and some calcium)!  most of us dont.  heal up.

for me the worst part of being injured is admitting that you need time off.  it took ridicule from coworkers about my minor limp to get me to stop this time.   i've converted to a long walk or 2 per day to take the edge off, and now i'm half way home.  the may marathon is out, and BQ may need to wait another year, but i'm just looking forward run again soon, free of pain.

Thanks, Lagwagon - I've got the vitamin D part covered, I've been taking D supplements for 4 years since having major chronic health issues caused by low-D.   The calcium part, not so much - I'm somewhat afraid of calcium, since I had a bone scan done on my right heel 6 years ago for an ambiguous pain and the doc said I had visible excess calcium deposits in the veins in my lower leg. He wanted to do a  scan of my heart at that time for calcium deposits, but my insurance wouldn't approve it. That was all back before I started running and lost a lot of weight and most of my body fat. My random foot aches and pains went away after I started running. Now I only get very specific aches and pains, caused by running instead of poor circulation. Clown I do drink milk and eat yogurt daily, but I don't take any calcium supplements. 

My next two big races, a 100K relay this month and a 12K corporate cup race next month, were team efforts, and it looks like I might be letting the teams down due to this injury. That makes it particularly hard to take. 

I hope you get your calf  injury(?)  sorted out and get back to running soon. 

Retired &  Loving It

Walk-Jogger

My next two big races, a 100K relay this month and a 12K corporate cup race next month, were team efforts, and it looks like I might be letting the teams down due to this injury. That makes it particularly hard to take. 

Just found out that my senior masters 100K relay team will not be running the WSU 100K relay race this month, due to inability to come up with a quorum of runners. One is going to Boston, one has family commitments, and a couple of us are injured. This will be the first time in the 30-odd year history of this race that our team has not participated... I've got a tibial stress fracture (self-diagnosed) but have determined that I can run uphill at a very easy pace without any pain, so I will try to find another team for this event that needs a runner for the 6 mile uphill leg.

Roll eyes

Retired &  Loving It

C-R

Trading a hamstring for a stress fracture AND STILL RUNNING!. Damn this place is tough.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/