3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Walk-Jogger

That's a bummer, Cecil. Any chance it'll calm down overnight?

YES!! It was still hurting a bit and hard to bend at bedtime, but it calmed down over-night, and when  I did a test run this morning at 5:00 AM, it didn't hurt much at all! Plus the new groin strain I seem to be just getting started on this past week took a day off and didn't hurt a bit either, so I went ahead and made the 75-mile drive up to Spokane and ran the Bloomsday 12k race. Fortune was smiling on me today, because after a pretty crappy running week which followed a month-long stress fracture, capped off by that stupid locked up knee yesterday, I ran a decent for me race. And it was hot today, as in sunny and mid-60' to mid-70's, which is just perfect for me and too hot for most. I beat two of my running buddies who easily beat me in a half-marathon earlier in the year, probably because of the heat. The knee seems fine after the race, and it doesn't seem to be affected much by running in general. This knee is likely what will eventually take me out of the game, but NOT TODAY!

Still waiting for official race results, but un-official time was 47:50, slower than last year's 46:39, but given my lack of decent training for the past 5 weeks and then yesterday's knee drama, it's more than I had any right to expect.

Retired &  Loving It

Feeling the growl again

Outstanding, Cecil!  Good to hear an injury on here come around for once.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

That's great, Cecil, congrats!

+1

Awesome race--glad to see you beat the uncertainty that injury puts into all our heads.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
          Emil Zatopek

#artbydmcbride

I am so happy for you Cecil!!

Runners run

Walk-Jogger

Thanks for all the support - you all are great. I feel a bit like a manic-depressive, going from feeling like I might be done with running one day, to running an unexpectedly decent race the next. ClownEmbarrassed

Retired &  Loving It

C-R

Damn skippy. Nice

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I've been dealing with achilles tendonitis for abour 6-9 months in both heals. I can run with it so its really just been a problem when I get out of bed in the morning or when I sit at my desk for extended periods of time. I've learned to get up and move around frequently enough to not have it bother me much during the day before my run.

Last week my achilles  tendonitis  improved to the point I have to really think about it before I can even feel anything but now I've developed planters facetious in my right foot that is concentrated in my heel. I can barely walk let alone run. WTF

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hmm.  I'm in the first half of your story right now.  AT.  Guess I'll break out the golfball to see if I can avoid chapter two.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Feeling the growl again

I was never injured before I came here.  What did you people put in the water?

That sucks, MT.  Hang in there.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Walk-Jogger

Bad Company

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww5GXbk58R0

Retired &  Loving It

+1.  And I don't even participate in y'all's stupid stunts.

I've been doing pretty well ... then my knee started quite a bit hurting last FRI night.  Entirely fine 24 hours later.  On MON night, I feel a pop and slight pain in my R Achilles.  Took TUE off, and it didn't bother me yesterday despite my INTENSE paranoia.

Crappity.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

WTF?!  I'm back on the injury wagon.  I don't get it.  January - April was fine and I ran a good bit of mileage.  My calves were sore after the weekend running.  I get through Monday, do some leg exercises (lunges, squats, hip flexor, etc.) and when I wake up Tuesday, my f'in lower leg is throbbing.  It's all in the muscles that extend down by the achilles.  I think I'll take this weekend off and see how it feels Monday.  Quite frustrating and demotivating!

Feeling the growl again

WTF?!  I'm back on the injury wagon.  I don't get it.  January - April was fine and I ran a good bit of mileage.  My calves were sore after the weekend running.  I get through Monday, do some leg exercises (lunges, squats, hip flexor, etc.) and when I wake up Tuesday, my f'in lower leg is throbbing.  It's all in the muscles that extend down by the achilles.  I think I'll take this weekend off and see how it feels Monday.  Quite frustrating and demotivating!

Dang, heal up and keep that streak going.   You're supposed to beat me to a sub-16 5K.

I'm running again.  I'm fat and very out of shape.  My goal right now is just to run every day (I'd really gotten out of the habit).  I can get 6-8 miles before the right hip, which first started hurting during my abortive marathon attempt last month, starts to tighten up.  So I plan to keep pushing that until I can do more and work my way up as my body allows.

I've signed up for the Air Force Marathon in Dayton, OH in September.  So I will start with focusing on getting fit enough to run again, work on my speed, then slap 3-4 weeks of marathon training on at the end.

C-R

Man. I am scared to click this thread. Hope its just one bad DOMS day mbehr.

Someone talked me into the USAF too. I need to get back on the training train but not the pain train.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/