3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Hope you're back at it soon Nads. Log stalking your progress was always very motivational.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Sure hope the time off helps Nader!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

You people stop getting injured and get healthy soon! I hate it when this thread keeps rising to the top of the list.

+2!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Not a fan of seeing these bike photos posted!  Healthy-up runners!

154 miles in 5 rides, 2 swim sessions and 2 runs last week.  Right calf is good to go.  Left calf, not so much.  Went to WI this weekend and had two good 30+ mile rides over the country roads.  The quads are feeling it today.  That's gotta help for running later, right?

Other than that, celebrated the DD's birthday with the in-laws and made yet another trip to the walk-in clinic with the DS.  With the walk-in clinic, we called ahead of time and they said it would be cheaper and quicker than a trip to the ER.  This time he fractured his right arm (below the elbow).  Always something to keep life interesting.

Feeling the growl again

154 miles in 5 rides, 2 swim sessions and 2 runs last week.  Right calf is good to go.  Left calf, not so much.  Went to WI this weekend and had two good 30+ mile rides over the country roads.  The quads are feeling it today.  That's gotta help for running later, right?

Other than that, celebrated the DD's birthday with the in-laws and made yet another trip to the walk-in clinic with the DS.  With the walk-in clinic, we called ahead of time and they said it would be cheaper and quicker than a trip to the ER.  This time he fractured his right arm (below the elbow).  Always something to keep life interesting.

Ugh.  Hope DS heals quickly.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Dang that sucks. Hope DS heals up quick. Collar bone boy is back running and playing soccer. Ortho cleared him after 3.5 weeks but there are still some things he can't do. Glad there are no matches until next month. He is pissed though that he needed 10 practices to qualify for Saturday's meet and will only have 8 under his belt.

I'm still fighting that left ankle issue. 10 - 12 miles tops and speed work isn't there. Not sure if its muscular or other. Time to see an expert I guess.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

kcam

Dang that sucks. Hope DS heals up quick. Collar bone boy is back running and playing soccer. Ortho cleared him after 3.5 weeks but there are still some things he can't do. Glad there are no matches until next month. He is pissed though that he needed 10 practices to qualify for Saturday's meet and will only have 8 under his belt.

I'm still fighting that left ankle issue. 10 - 12 miles tops and speed work isn't there. Not sure if its muscular or other. Time to see an expert I guess.

Glad your son is cleared for activity so quickly - oh, to have the recuperative powers of the young, I'm sure mbehr's son will heal very quickly as well.  Hope your ankle thing resolves soon.

Hamstring MRIs are in. So... hamstring tendon partial tear, tendinosis, tendonitis. Been building a long time, evidently. Plus, a bonus cyst in the femoral neck on the *other* side. Back MRIs are next (still likely some sciatic component as well). Looks like a long road back. 

After back MRIs, probably prednisone, then tons of work alleviating all the tightness that's putting extra load on the hamstings. And PRP injections if things don't improve then.

Geez, dude. Sad  Heal up.

And is that a subchondral cyst?  They found one in my left acetabular roof.  (Didn't even know I had one of those!)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

bhearn

Geez, dude. Sad  Heal up.

And is that a subchondral cyst?  They found one in my left acetabular roof.  (Didn't even know I had one of those!)

No. "Fibrous dysplasia" was mentioned; I'm not sure whether that was a diagnosis or a guess. It's smack in the middle of the femoral neck, pretty large. Probably been there for decades, but as I put a hell of a lot of stress there, it is somewhat concerning. Going back in three months to re-xray and make sure it's not changing.

Back MRI was today; I have the images, but can't make much out of them. Ortho visit tomorrow to interpret.

No. "Fibrous dysplasia" was mentioned ...

Back MRI was today; I have the images, but can't make much out of them. Ortho visit tomorrow to interpret.

Haven't heard back -- I hope they didn't put bhearn down due to his hip dysplasia.

I finally got my PT appointment (after 3+ weeks of waiting).  Talking, moving limbs around, prodding ... and the usual diagnosis: limited hip-joint mobility and obscenely tight hip flexors.  Those babies are so tight ("How tight are they?") that they're inducing an anterior pelvic tilt.  ("Awesome punchline, bro!")  Which makes the abs lengthen and try to counter the hip flexors at the same time.  Gee, turns out constantly contracting a muscle while it's stretched can lead to injury.  Who knew?

Anyhoo, I got some exercises to do and go back in a couple weeks to determine next steps.  I like to think things are looking up.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Haven't heard back -- I hope they didn't put bhearn down due to his hip dysplasia.

I finally got my PT appointment (after 3+ weeks of waiting).  Talking, moving limbs around, prodding ... and the usual diagnosis: limited hip-joint mobility and obscenely tight hip flexors.  Those babies are so tight ("How tight are they?") that they're inducing an anterior pelvic tilt.  ("Awesome punchline, bro!")  Which makes the abs lengthen and try to counter the hip flexors at the same time.  Gee, turns out constantly contracting a muscle while it's stretched can lead to injury.  Who knew?

Anyhoo, I got some exercises to do and go back in a couple weeks to determine next steps.  I like to think things are looking up.

Sounds like a lot of us are having similar issues with similar causes.

I really wish I could say F the desk job...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Sounds like a lot of us are having similar issues with similar causes.

I really wish I could say F the desk job...

+1

Well my last week was pretty disastrous.  Got sick on Tuesday and it's still hanging on.  Had a good three days off and figured that would be good for me to get this bug worked out of the system and to let my left leg heal up better.  Neither has gone away yet.  Did a 30+ mile ride on Saturday and a 48 min run yesterday.  I was completely wiped after each.  I have 6 weeks until the half and I have not been able to do any kind of training for quite some time now.

Feeling the growl again

Dang mbehr.  You have a Boston to run.  Heal up.

I'm still on the rollercoaster.  I had a "big" week, then the pain in the right hip started slowly building again.  By week's end my wife convinced me that I needed to let her massage it.  So I did.

In retrospect, this was the type of massage that would have benefitted from choosing a safe word at the outset and giving me a rawhide to bite down on.

She claims she could feel what she judged to be a calcified knot around my piriformis.  During two subsequent massages she says she seems to have broken it up.  Between the post-effects of that and some more hip flexor issues I missed running over the weekend, but I must say that this is the first time I could feel absolutely nothing in that spot.  I'm looking forward to running a few days on it and seeing the results.

Now yesterday I was out on the property yesterday  working on some stuff and was moving some stuff out of some tall weeks -- 8-10 foot tall weed we never had in Michigan, I had no idea what they were.  It appears now that they were cow parsnip, and they are poisonous.  So by evening my arms everywhere below my T-shirt line were on fire and by this morning my arms were blistering badly.  So I'm stuck with needing a couple days out of the sun to avoid making it worse, and my treadmill broke (again) last week.  Plus I'm on prednisone now so it's going to be even more fun trying to lose weight.

All nice 2 days before going overseas...at least I already mapped out some running from my hotel.  Smile

C-R

Good grief spaniel.  Fix one thing and something else pops up. Like injury whack a mole.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

By week's end my wife convinced me that I needed to let her massage it.  So I did.

In retrospect, this was the type of massage that would have benefited from choosing a safe word at the outset and giving me a rawhide to bite down on.

So, just another Saturday night in the Spaniel home?

Glad to hear your hip is feeling better, and good luck with the arms.

-- Dick LeBeau