3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

Prince of Fatness

Not at it at all. 

Boston bib# 11011

Wave 2, Corral 3.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

bhearn

My recovery from my hamstring tendon tear has been going pretty well. Back up to 50-60 mpw, ran the Napa Marathon as a training run four weeks ago, ran 42 miles easy at a 24-hour two weeks ago, both pretty much without incident...

Then, I was in Atlanta last weekend for a conference, and figured I'd hop into the Georgia Half Marathon and shoot for 1:30, as a 13-mile MP workout. There I blew up, called it good after 6 and phoned it in. Maybe no surprise; I'd done basically no speedwork for about a year. Now I am back on the DL, couldn't run Mon or Tue, ran a slow 4 (with walking) yesterday, much worse today. Not the hamstring -- I think that's still good -- but I seem to have pulled my right TFL or thereabouts. And the stupid thing is, I think maybe it was from lugging my huge suitcase around Atlanta. First I got off at the wrong metro stop, walked half a mile with it, then I switched hotels after the first night. I first noticed it on the treadmill a couple days before the half, and it was OK during the half... now, I can barely walk. And I have a 100 coming up next weekend... 

C-R

Dang Bob. At least its not the hammy but still.

I repeat, this thread scares me.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
          "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Look forward to posts in the good workout thread, this one not at all.  Get better everyone.

Hope it's improving, Bob. Those kinds of injuries can be maddening.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Dang Bob. At least its not the hammy but still.

I repeat, this thread scares me.

+1

steph  

I hurt my big toe stripping the fireplace and now I can't run.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Prince of Fatness

I hurt my big toe stripping the fireplace and now I can't run.

What exactly is "stripping the fireplace".

Anyway, I am one week away from surgery.  I've been exercising some, but taking a day of here and there.  The hip aches more often than not.  I am getting a little nervous about the surgery but am real tired of my hip hurting all of the time.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

What exactly is "stripping the fireplace".

Anyway, I am one week away from surgery.  I've been exercising some, but taking a day of here and there.  The hip aches more often than not.  I am getting a little nervous about the surgery but am real tired of my hip hurting all of the time.

Also curious about this stripping of the fireplace....

Finn, I as I am sure all of us are hoping that this surgery is the solution for your issues.  While my hip is no longer the limiting factor in my training, it still aches every day and often to a point that it really troubles me...just doesn't lock up/irritate to the point of limiting me.  I root for anyone who can escape this cycle.

I really need to find a good beer for your recovery package...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

C-R

Also curious about this stripping of the fireplace....

I really need to find a good beer for your recovery package...

+1

Good luck Finn.

Fireplace + busted toe = epic yarn

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Finn, I've been aware of you for a long time now, since I live in the same town as L Train and was just getting going with running back when you two had your big showdown. So to me it seems like all of this has been going on forever for you, and I can only imagine how much it sucks. I really hope this is the answer, or at least the first step toward it. I hope to meet you on a starting line one day.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

an amazing likeness

Good luck! First step towards building a new, improved you. Remember you're in this for what it feels like 6 months post surgery, not 6 days...

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

Finn, I've been aware of you for a long time now, since I live in the same town as L Train and was just getting going with running back when you two had your big showdown. So to me it seems like all of this has been going on forever for you, and I can only imagine how much it sucks. I really hope this is the answer, or at least the first step toward it. I hope to meet you on a starting line one day.

Yeah I have fond memories of that rivalry with Thomas the Tank Engine.  Hard to believe that it has been 4 years almost to the day since the snowball of injuries started down the hill.  With all of the setbacks that I have had I am being ultra conservative with my goals and expectations here.  Really I just want to be able to exercise consistently without breaking down, and get back in decent shape again.  If it is nothing more than that I will be happy.

Anyway, the plan after I get this done is to do everything the doc says to, and nothing that he says not to.  This has been going on so long what is a few more months?  I'll be patient.

Thanks all.

Not at it at all. 

Stripping.

I'm still not done...

You should have known to avoid being curious.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."