3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

I'm being a bad parent and won't be buying it any clothes or painting the nursery until it arrives safe and sound...well, the nursery will remain neutral cream when we repaint it in a few weeks (and return it to being a study/spare room for now), but at least the fresh paint will cover all the grubby hand and footprints the lodger left on the walls!

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Feeling the growl again

My Mum was surprised we wanted to know and probably about half of my friends left it as a surprise.  I'm not sure we'd have found out had we not had CVS. 

I think it is more normal than not today, at least on this side of the pond.  Basically everybody I went to high school and college with has kids now; I'd really have to work to think of someone who did not know the sex before birth.

We did not find out for any of ours.  I am glad that my wife and I agreed that we did not want to know because it would be a special part of the experience (and it was, for us).  It's a very personal choice.

Contrast my sister-in-law, who HAD to know but her husband did not want to know.  Of course she told everybody and told them not to tell him, but someone ended up screwing up and letting it slip in front of him on all four of their kids.

He almost made it on the last one, until his own mother slipped it in the delivery room.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

kcam

Congratulations on the pregnancy, Hoppity.  What a wonderful journey you and your husband have embarked on - enjoy it (errr, ummm, yeah, most of it)!

I can't think of anyone I know who has had a baby in the last 5 or so years that did not know the sex before delivery.  When mine was born we didn't know the sex, though we had ultrasounds.  I do clearly remember being so overcome with emotion that I now had a ......... DAUGHTER!  WOW!

Just a dude.

18-22 years ago when I had my four, we didn't know on any of them. At that time, I think it was kind of a 50-50 thing with people I knew.

I don't know what the mystique is/was. Today I'd probably just shrug my shoulders and let them tell me if it was clear...

BTW, gratz!

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Just a dude.

Took the day off yesterday with some calf and hamstring pain, and my knee is kinda wierd too.

I've noticed that my joints are popping a lot more than they did. Makes me think everything is getting so loose that it will all fall apart.

Hoping to be back on the wagon today tho.

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Every single person that I can think of has found out beforehand.

My wife and I are expecting our 5th and have not found out on any of them.  Lots of fun to speculate and imagine and be completely surprised either way. It's fun not to know and makes the "we had a baby last night" phone calls so much more fun.

I've received a lot of those phone calls where you already know gender and name and it's just more or less confirmation that child is born. Seems less exciting to me.

Personal preference obviously, but i've always enjoyed not knowing.

Congrats Hoppity!

Thanks for the congratulations.  It's really interesting hearing thoughts and experiences with knowing or not knowing the sex.  I really feel for Spaniel's BIL  It definitely isn't getting a name until it is here - same as we're not purchasing any stuff for it.  Lots of things will still be a surprise, scans don't really tell you what it looks like, but knowing the sex (for us, this time around at least) isn't removing much mystery given everything about what lies ahead is out of our experience and there are too many odds at play for much about how it looks, how it acts, even what gender it seems to be (rather than sex its chromosomes say) and so on and so forth that knowing sex isn't a negative right now.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

Ostrich runner

Congrats Hoppity! That's a great thing.

Ken, my wife had labral repairs including femoraplasty on both sides. There have been various labral tear threads in the past, and I can't remember if you're one of the people I responded to about those. I was there for both of the surgeries, so I know more or less what to expect. Hers were from trauma, and probably more complicated than most. Anyhow, I'm happy to tell you everything I know about them.

I haven't been on here much lately, so I also can't remember how much I've shared on here. I'm still out of shape, and I can't imagine being in good enough shape to do the promised 50 miler in May. I think I'll probably still try to show up and do something that day though. My wife did get a fellowship in Indy that'll be starting this summer. That means I won't be living in two states anymore, so I'm hoping that means I'll also be able to finally break the 3 year training funk I've had. Also, it's far from a done deal, but it looks like I'm about to make an offer on a house right on the Brownsburg/Indy line off of 56th/CR 600 and just down the street from Eagle Creek. Lots of stuff going on, just not much running.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Got something going on. A little worried about it. Top of the thigh, right smack dab in the middle (like where a guitar body would lie - in fact, it hurts like a mother when I put a guitar on it).

Had a good 22 mile run sunday, started to feel some tightness. Then was doing some work around the house, in some tight spaces (shelves in closets) and stretched the crap outta my quad) - and Monday started hurting as soon as I started running.

I've dug around in there and I "think" it's a muscle thing, but it's not where i'd expect it. So I'm slightly worried about femural shaft SF. I've hung off the desk, hopped - and all that seems okay, so I'm probably being dramatic. But it's got me a little concerned. Yesterday hurt walking around. Running is super painful. Feels like someone has taken a hammer to the thigh repeatedly (like a big bruise).

So, day off today. Maybe even tomorrow. And take it from there.

In the meantime I'm headed to VT to drink ungodly volumes of beer with the boys, which will undoubtedly put me in top physical condition once this clears.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Got something going on. A little worried about it. Top of the thigh, right smack dab in the middle (like where a guitar body would lie - in fact, it hurts like a mother when I put a guitar on it).

Had a good 22 mile run sunday, started to feel some tightness. Then was doing some work around the house, in some tight spaces (shelves in closets) and stretched the crap outta my quad) - and Monday started hurting as soon as I started running.

I've dug around in there and I "think" it's a muscle thing, but it's not where i'd expect it. So I'm slightly worried about femural shaft SF. I've hung off the desk, hopped - and all that seems okay, so I'm probably being dramatic. But it's got me a little concerned. Yesterday hurt walking around. Running is super painful. Feels like someone has taken a hammer to the thigh repeatedly (like a big bruise).

In the meantime I'm headed to VT to drink ungodly volumes of beer with the boys, which will undoubtedly put me in top physical condition once this clears.

Based on what I've overheard from my PT, that "hop test" is supposed to be a pretty good indicator. I hope it turns out to be nothing -- drinking beer seems like the appropriate treatment method.

kcam

18-22 years ago when I had my four, we didn't know on any of them. At that time, I think it was kind of a 50-50 thing with people I knew.

I don't know what the mystique is/was. Today I'd probably just shrug my shoulders and let them tell me if it was clear...

BTW, gratz!

-Kelly

Kelly - you're an oldster.  But I got ya beat - my daughter just turned 29 (holy crap that made me feel old) yesterday!

Feeling the growl again

Congrats Hoppity! That's a great thing.

Ken, my wife had labral repairs including femoraplasty on both sides. There have been various labral tear threads in the past, and I can't remember if you're one of the people I responded to about those. I was there for both of the surgeries, so I know more or less what to expect. Hers were from trauma, and probably more complicated than most. Anyhow, I'm happy to tell you everything I know about them.

I haven't been on here much lately, so I also can't remember how much I've shared on here. I'm still out of shape, and I can't imagine being in good enough shape to do the promised 50 miler in May. I think I'll probably still try to show up and do something that day though. My wife did get a fellowship in Indy that'll be starting this summer. That means I won't be living in two states anymore, so I'm hoping that means I'll also be able to finally break the 3 year training funk I've had. Also, it's far from a done deal, but it looks like I'm about to make an offer on a house right on the Brownsburg/Indy line off of 56th/CR 600 and just down the street from Eagle Creek. Lots of stuff going on, just not much running.

Very happy to hear your wife will be back in Indy!  Hey, you're moving right into the center of the rest of us...pretty convenient for beer drinking...or getting together to run and burn it off.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

Sounds like a possible hip flexor?  Been there, done that....rest and apply beer internally.

Sounds like a possible hip flexor?  Been there, done that....rest and apply beer internally.

Doctor Google now thinks it might be the sartorius (becauseI can sort of feel tightness from top of hip through inner knee, with the pain on the inner/upper thigh - it seeeeems to make "sense"). Anyway.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

You may still want to apply the beer...better safe than sorry you know.

Doctor Google now thinks it might be the sartorius (becauseI can sort of feel tightness from top of hip through inner knee, with the pain on the inner/upper thigh - it seeeeems to make "sense"). Anyway.