3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Sucker Punches (Read 1095 times)

C-R

Well shit. Now I'm on this list. Medial muscle issues around the knee. No tears and PT starts Monday but I'm officially on the DL.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Sorry to hear that CR, you were one of the healthier ones around here for a while.

Feeling the growl again

Damn CR.  There goes Groundhog.  Go watch the kid win it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Well shit. Now I'm on this list. Medial muscle issues around the knee. No tears and PT starts Monday but I'm officially on the DL.

Oh, I'm sorry.  Hope it heals quick.

steph  

Dammit.  Heal quickly.....

Ready, go.

Prince of Fatness

That sucks C-R. Hope you can get back at it soon.

Not at it at all. 

That sucks CR. Hopefully the time on the DL is short lived.

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

Dammit C-R, this thread is too long already. Cut it out.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

bhearn

Good luck, C-R.

Looks like I'm back in sucker-punch land. I had a relatively minor Achilles procedure done four weeks ago, expected to be running again two weeks from now. Then this week my foot swelled up, and my calf got super tight and painful. Went in to see what was up... I have a blood clot, deep-vein thrombosis. Too much sitting and inactivity. So, blood thinners for three months for me. Not sure yet how this will impact my training. I had big plans for this year.

Update for me: I'm running again. The DVT was scary, but I'm told that at this point, with the swelling gone down, being on Coumadin, and time having passed, there's little risk of a pulmonary embolism, and running should not make it worse. I'm still not sure of the impact of Coumadin when I try to run 24 hours in May, though. I don't want any enhanced bruising or internal bleeding. I already beat the hell out of my feet. It turns out I have Factor V Leiden, a predisposition for DVT, so probably they will want to keep me on the thinners for a long time.

On the Achilles front, I'm kind of unhappy. Even with short, easy runs, the Achilles hurts quite a bit a few hours later, and the next day. Back to where I was pre-surgery, but a bit worse. Now my surgeon tells me it might take 3-6 months to see any positive effects. I kind of wish she'd told me that before the surgery.

C-R

Glad you're back on the running pathways Bob.

As for me its good news and confusing news. No tears or rips or required medical intervention. Only PT. Seems my left glute stopped firing and I've been using hip flexors too much. basically a mechanical malfunction. This caused my patella to move sideways and cause the inflammation. Not sure how this happened but I need to relearn how to engage my my muscles and run properly. So the upshot is 35 minutes of PT every day and some uncomfortable work with a foam roller and short runs. So I can go 1.5 miles with proper form without getting uncomfortable. Tomorrow we try for two and build up from there.

Kinda sucks but glad there is a path forward.

"Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

kcam

Glad to hear the good news, both of ya's!

Glad you're back on the running pathways Bob.

As for me its good news and confusing news. No tears or rips or required medical intervention. Only PT. Seems my left glute stopped firing and I've been using hip flexors too much. basically a mechanical malfunction. This caused my patella to move sideways and cause the inflammation. Not sure how this happened but I need to relearn how to engage my my muscles and run properly. So the upshot is 35 minutes of PT every day and some uncomfortable work with a foam roller and short runs. So I can go 1.5 miles with proper form without getting uncomfortable. Tomorrow we try for two and build up from there.

Kinda sucks but glad there is a path forward.

At least there is only PT intervention. As you get the muscles working correctly, you'll be amazed how soon you'll be back out there.

bhearn

Sucker punched myself again. I thought I was finally back on track with training, about to wrap up 70 miles last week, heading into 80 this week. A challenge, in hot & humid Barbados, but that's good training too.

Then on Saturday I sliced my foot open under the big toe, on a rock on the beach. And I'm on blood thinners, because I got a blood clot, because I went for elective Achilles surgery. (I don't know why she swallowed the fly...) The bleeding was pretty amazing, so I had to hightail it to the local clinic. Doc tried to tell me no running for at least a week, which I flatly refused. The cut isn't really that bad. A week off would kill my May goal race. And it didn't even hurt.

But yesterday and today it hurts to walk on. No way can I run. FML. 

Walk-Jogger

Just a bunch of whining about my knee....

Retired &  Loving It

C-R

Just a bunch of whining about my knee....

Tell me about it. Just heard from the doc. Verdict = torn meniscus and plica condition. Seeing surgeon tomorrow.

Damn depressing.