3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

BEER (Read 2196 times)

Feeling the growl again

Spaten Oktoberfest.  Imported from Munich.  It is obvious that this and the Sun King were the same style, and the taste was pretty close.  My tastes gave a SLIGHT preference to the Sun King.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Prince of Fatness

Hey spaniel, 10.5%.  Yikes!

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Hey spaniel, 10.5%.  Yikes!

Yeah.  That is good beer.  But when you don't read the ABV and have a few more after....wow.

New Belgium Red Hoptober.  It's OK, somebody had the idea to mix an Oktoberfest with an IPA.  Too hoppy for me I guess, the prior 2 were better.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

New Belgium Red Hoptober.  It's OK, somebody had the idea to mix an Oktoberfest with an IPA.

That sounds like a good idea to me.

So now I will warn you.  I am trying to remember what I left there.  Merry Monks, Belgian Tripel.  Yum.  ~9%.  Yeah have a few of those.  Blithering Idiot, Barleywine.  ~11%.  Heh, have at it.  Can't remember the rest.  Except for those bombers.  Age those things .... next year at the earliest.  The lowest ABV on those is around 9% as I recall.

Not at it at all. 

an amazing likeness

So you're minding your own business when all of a sudden, a nuclear bomb goes off, there's a shock wave, fires all around, general destruction and you, having somehow survived, need a drink. What can you do? There is no running water, not where you are. But there is a convenience store. It's been crushed by the shock wave, but there are still bottles of beer, Coke and diet soda intact on the floor. So you wonder: Can I grab one of those beers and gulp it down? Or is it too radioactive? And what about taste? If I drink it, will it taste OK?

U.S. Explodes Atomic Bombs Near Beers To See If They Are Safe To Drink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Probably not up to the exacting standards of this group, but new local brewery has opened wtih a focus of doing only lagers.  Pretty (very, actually) good to my opinion:

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Prince of Fatness

So you're minding your own business when all of a sudden, a nuclear bomb goes off, there's a shock wave, fires all around, general destruction and you, having somehow survived, need a drink. What can you do? There is no running water, not where you are. But there is a convenience store. It's been crushed by the shock wave, but there are still bottles of beer, Coke and diet soda intact on the floor. So you wonder: Can I grab one of those beers and gulp it down? Or is it too radioactive? And what about taste? If I drink it, will it taste OK?

U.S. Explodes Atomic Bombs Near Beers To See If They Are Safe To Drink

At that point I am thinking that I would really want a beer and what worse could happen to me.

And nothing wrong with a good lager.

Nightcap time.  Another from the fairy.  Another that is good but nothin' special. 

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

That sounds like a good idea to me.

So now I will warn you.  I am trying to remember what I left there.  Merry Monks, Belgian Tripel.  Yum.  ~9%.  Yeah have a few of those.  Blithering Idiot, Barleywine.  ~11%.  Heh, have at it.  Can't remember the rest.  Except for those bombers.  Age those things .... next year at the earliest.  The lowest ABV on those is around 9% as I recall.

I don't recall seeing Blithering Idiot... dammit, now I need to dig through that mountain of beer again (it is a monster growing in the corner of my laundry room...I have gone fall beer crazy and now have more than after beer mile stacked there).  The bombers are safe until spring at least.  I have been working through the weyerbachers slowly and hoarding the DFH.

MTA:  Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale to wash the excessive hops out of my mouth.  In retrospect I could have picked a better brewery to try a pumpkin ale.  I did not realize that this was Coors until I checked it into Untappd.

I sure hope beer is good for the long run tomorrow because I'm really off the wagon tonight....at least I have not hit the hard liquor.

Prince of Fatness

I don't recall seeing Blithering Idiot... dammit, now I need to dig through that mountain of beer again

Dude sadly I am not sure that I remember what I put in there.  It was definitely 6 4 packs of beer.  I am thinking.....

Seventeen

Verboten

Blanche

Merry Monks

Blithering Idiot

Old Heathen (dude, imperial stout)

However I could be wrong.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Dude sadly I am not sure that I remember what I put in there.  It was definitely 6 4 packs of beer.  I am thinking.....

Seventeen

Verboten

Blanche

Merry Monks

Blithering Idiot

Old Heathen (dude, imperial stout)

However I could be wrong.

Seventeen X4

Ol Heathen X4

Verboten X 4

MerryMonks X4

Victor X4

Blanche X4

I NEED to find Blithering Idiot at some point.  As a former marketer I consider myself pretty immune to branding, but you had me at "blithering idiot" attached to a beer.

Prince of Fatness

Seventeen X4

Ol Heathen X4

Verboten X 4

MerryMonks X4

Victor X4

Blanche X4

I NEED to find Blithering Idiot at some point.  As a former marketer I consider myself pretty immune to branding, but you had me at "blithering idiot" attached to a beer.

Ah, Victor.  That's a one off, brewer's select series.  Victor is an amber.  Blithering Idiot, heh.  When my son in law was not yet my son in law, I took him to the Weyebacher Brewery, bought him a growler full, and a Blithering Idiot tee shirt.  I warned him.

Anyway, I have your address .... so at some point a few bottles may just make it your way ,,, including Blithering Idiot.

Not at it at all. 

Feeling the growl again

Anyway, I have your address .... so at some point a few bottles may just make it your way ,,, including Blithering Idiot.

Smile

You know, return address labels have a funny way of becoming useful....

WhoDatRunner

Will Crew for Beer

I just finished a pint of the Sun King Oktoberfest.  Simply outstanding.

I can't tell you if it's a good representation of the style or not, but I can say I'll have another, please! Yum.

Rule number one of a gunfight, bring a gun. Rule number two of a gunfight, bring friends with guns.

Feeling the growl again

So next Thursday Ieave for a conference in Vienna.  I will be gone for ~6 days, working 14-18 hour days.  With small kids this is a bitch for the family.

However, on the last day my conference gets done at noon and there are no flights back to the US until the following AM.  So I am stuck there with half a day to myself.

Then I found THIS.  Smile

(I am a fall beer whore.  I think I will stop by Sun King on the off chance they have a 1/6 barrel of Oktoberfest).

A couple years back I was at a good beer store I don't get to very often, and I picked up a sixer of Blithering Idiot. I didn't bother to check the ABV. I took said sixer to my weekly poker game that night, and I drank it all. Wow. That night still comes up in conversation now and again.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.