3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

Prince of Fatness

Well, yes it is.

Singlet ≠ vest.

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Singlet ≠ vest.

Not always. 

But the old school green one certainly qualifies. 

L Train

I'm quite fat and out of shape

Hey you'll fit right in.

Glad you're on the way back. 

Hey all...

Dunno if you guys remember be, or if you should... But I had a great workout this morning.

Half mile walk, half mile run, 1/4 mile walk, half mile run, 1/4 mile walk.

Pathetic you say... I agree... But it's the first running I've been able to do this year.  

Last October I started having problems with my ankle, and I've been working with doctors and physical therapists since then trying to figure out what the issue is.  I finally had surgery the end of May where they found a bunch of bone chunks that they removed, as well as a few other minor problems.

Hopefully it's all fixed... This morning felt pretty good.  I'm quite fat and out of shape, but hopefully on my way back.

:-)

-Kelly

Welcome back, KD. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Feeling the growl again

Hopefully it's all fixed... This morning felt pretty good.  I'm quite fat and out of shape, but hopefully on my way back.

:-)

-Kelly

Welcome back!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Welcome back, Kelly!  Good to hear you're fixed and getting back into it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

DoppleBock

Hey - Fat and out of shape is my line - You better take care of that - Welcome back!

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Seanv2

Welcome back Kelly!

In the stupid questions department, I am kinda half ass following a marathon program which called for four at half marathon pace tonight in the middle of my run. I did them at 7:48, which is what McMillian says my HM times should be based on my most recent 5k PR. Those miles hurt. No way I could have kept it up for a full half marathon. Should I slow it down next time?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Prince of Fatness

In the stupid questions department, I am kinda half ass following a marathon program which called for four at half marathon pace tonight in the middle of my run. I did them at 7:48, which is what McMillian says my HM times should be based on my most recent 5k PR. Those miles hurt. No way I could have kept it up for a full half marathon. Should I slow it down next time?

This is why I don't train on pace.  McMillan doesn't know what the weather is like, whether you're workin' lots of hours, or hell maybe you just got married and are still in shock from that.  He doesn't know.  Yet he says run this workout at 7:48.

My suggestion is to set the Garmin for 30 - 35 minutes and go run at HM effort.  Set the display to show the time only.  Focus on the effort.  When you are done check and see what pace the effort translated to.  That's the way I did it back in the days when I did workouts and stuff.  It worked well for me.  Do this consistently and you will know what your pace is before even checking the Garmin.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

This is why I don't train on pace.  McMillan doesn't know what the weather is like, whether you're workin' lots of hours, or hell maybe you just got married and are still in shock from that.  He doesn't know.  Yet he says run this workout at 7:48.

My suggestion is to set the Garmin for 30 - 35 minutes and go run at HM effort.  Set the display to show the time only.  Focus on the effort.  When you are done check and see what pace the effort translated to.  That's the way I did it back in the days when I did workouts and stuff.  It worked well for me.  Do this consistently and you will know what your pace is before even checking the Garmin.

This makes a lot of sense, except, I'm not at all sure what HM effort is for me. I'm still so new at this game.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

In the middle of full training loads, I used to run 10 mile "tempo runs" in the mid to low 5:4X pace range.  Those were pretty hard workouts, probably as hard as a workout like that should be run.  Turns out that time after time I'd taper up and run a full marathon at that same pace....the first 10 miles would be WAY easier.

Like Tater said, the weather was always better, I was more rested from tapering, etc etc.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Prince of Fatness

My main point Sean was, that I found it a lot easier to train at a set effort than at a set pace, because effort is not affected by outside factors as much.  With practice you will get the hang of it.

Something else you could do is run a few 5K's over the summer without a watch.  I cannot believe how much of a learning experience it was when I did this.  It was a lot of fun, too.

Not at it at all. 

Seanv2

Spaniel - Are you saying just suck it up?

Phin - I hear you ont he running without a watch. I have a 5k I am going to try to run next week, might do that one without a watch.

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

Feeling the growl again

Spaniel - Are you saying just suck it up?

No, I was confirming what Tater said about running by effort.  The pace I could hold for a full marathon fully tapered was a challenging 10-mile workout when done three weeks earlier in the middle of a full training load.

But sucking it up is never a bad idea either. Wink

This makes a lot of sense, except, I'm not at all sure what HM effort is for me. I'm still so new at this game.

But to me a training run at HM pace IS harder then the feel of an actual raced HM. When I ran at McMillians calculated HM pace leading into my HM PR race, I felt the same way you did, that it was way too hard and there was no way in hell I could run that for the full distance. But once you're in the race with everyone else, the feel is different from your adrenaline and the competition.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life