3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

I had a good workout Friday... 6 miles @ 6:50 (a tempo), that's hopefully Novembers marathon pace. 

Funny, because I "raced" a 10k at that exact pace 2 weeks ago and it was difficult/felt like a race. I have to figure out this whole always falling apart in the heat (and/or humidity) thing...or maybe I just always will.

I'm trying to decide what to do with this...I'm out of shape, 25lbs overweight, and my good weeks have been 30 miles lately. Saturday I'm doing my first timed race for 8 hrs. No idea what to do this week or on Saturday.

Maybe just run less than 30. Nothing you do will make you more prepared at this point, but you can rest up...

Too true. I am only planning a 7 day taper - but this week will be a bit easier than normal. A 3 week taper (as some do) would be ludicrous for me at the moment, I don't have much fitness to lose... but most of it would go in 3 weeks.

So are you going to stop by Minnesota when you're in America, or what?

Ostrich runner

Maybe just run less than 30. Nothing you do will make you more prepared at this point, but you can rest up...

Yeah, I'm sure I'll do shorter runs anyway. Long training runs always seem hard to me if I haven't done much the preceding week, so I assume long slogs...er, races are the same.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Purdey

Self anointed title

Planning to. It's what? A 45min drive from Denver right?

DoppleBock

It takes 10 days (Roughly) to get physical adaptation from a workout

To me the last 9 days are about keeping the right amount of tension in your legs and keeping a good rythm - Less is more, but don't be afraid of a couple really short moderate workouts.

My plans - Last 15 days prior to race

FR 26 technical trails with 4,000+ vertical

Total was 116 miles 15,000 feet of vertical

SA 6 easy 

SU 16 with 4,000 vertical

M 5/6 

T 6 / 12 with 3,000 vertical

W 6/5

TH 6 / 8 with 2,000 vertical

F 6/5

Total 86 miles (80-90) 9,000 feet of vertical

SA 13 on trails maybe 1,000 vertical

SU 6/5

MO 5/8 with 2,000 vertical

T 6

W 6 with 800 vertical

TH 5 - Maybe light hiking

FR 4 flat at altitude

Total 58 miles (50-60) 3,800 feet of vertical - I may cut this week back further?

SA - Race 100 miles

a timed race is a bit different - I so almost everything easy the last week.  I do start adding 30-60 minutes of fast walking the last month before the timed race.  Beef in your situation, I would still taper a bit, but maybe do a 30 minute walk M/T/W/TH and maybe only a 30 minute walk FR before the SAT race.

I'm trying to decide what to do with this...I'm out of shape, 25lbs overweight, and my good weeks have been 30 miles lately. Saturday I'm doing my first timed race for 8 hrs. No idea what to do this week or on Saturday.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

It would probably just be easier for you and Ben to swing by Leadville ... Just saying - The man has a lot on his mind / plate 

DoppleBock

What is your game plan?

Are you going to employ a run walk or just run until you fall apart and have to walk?  Then run when you feel you can again ... repeat 

Yeah, I'm sure I'll do shorter runs anyway. Long training runs always seem hard to me if I haven't done much the preceding week, so I assume long slogs...er, races are the same.

Ostrich runner

I'm debating between run/walk as in run a few hundred yards, walk a hundred yards and alternating 5k laps running and walking (maybe with trekking poles if I'm allowed).

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Yes. Don't let anyone tell you any different. Even DB, who seems skeptical....he doesn't know, I mean what does he know? He lives in Wisconsin.

45 minutes.

obsessor

x 20 if you drive fast, hold your water, and have an extra two gas tanks.

A jet pack would also help.

x 20 if you drive fast, hold your water, and have an extra two gas tanks.

¡¡Obsessor!!

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

How do you make upside down exclamation marks?

Prince of Fatness

hold your water

No need.  That's what the empties are for.

Not at it at all.