3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

Who had a good workout this week? (Read 2359 times)

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Great, Rocken!

steph  

Walk-Jogger

8500 feet of vertical climb today on the incline treadmill, @ 30% slope, 2.3 MPH, slow and easy no-impact walking, for almost 2.5 hours. Heart rate was around 123 after 20 minutes and 140ish after 2 hours, so I was in the range of 70-80 percent heart rate the entire time since my tested max was 175 last time I went for it. Not a bad workout on a stress-fractured left tibia. The leg didn't hurt at all today, unlike yesterday when I did a few uphill sprint intervals on it.  Still hurts to jog or even walk very far on flat ground, 2 weeks in. My total climbing distance for this week is  27,685 feet (5.24 miles straight up).

Update: 3 weeks in to this tibia injury today, and it hasn't hurt for 3 days. Last big pain was  last Wednesday, after I spent the afternoon at my desk poking and prodding the injury with my thumb. Turns out that was not a good thing to do and caused me to limp in pain for the next 24 hours. Yesterday I ran 2 miles on the track for the first time pain-free since this happened, plus was able to do a significant hill climb on the TM as well, and I did 5 more miles totals this morning, 2 uphill, 2 downhill and 2x800m on the track, and still pain free. So things are looking up.

I would like to point out that the one seemingly helpful thing that I do for this injury is to apply a heating pad to it for 30 minutes each night at bedtime. The heat improves circulation and speeds healing, in my opinion. I'm a big believer in using heat on muscle or tendon injuries as I've had great success with it speeding up the healing on everything I've tried it on, but this is the first time on a stress fracture. 

Retired &  Loving It

8500 feet of vertical climb today on the incline treadmill, @ 30% slope, 2.3 MPH, slow and easy no-impact walking, for almost 2.5 hours. Heart rate was around 123 after 20 minutes and 140ish after 2 hours, so I was in the range of 70-80 percent heart rate the entire time since my tested max was 175 last time I went for it. Not a bad workout on a stress-fractured left tibia. The leg didn't hurt at all today, unlike yesterday when I did a few uphill sprint intervals on it.  Still hurts to jog or even walk very far on flat ground, 2 weeks in. My total climbing distance for this week is  27,685 feet (5.24 miles straight up).

Update: 3 weeks in to this tibia injury today, and it hasn't hurt for 3 days. Last big pain was  last Wednesday, after I spent the afternoon at my desk poking and prodding the injury with my thumb. Turns out that was not a good thing to do and caused me to limp in pain for the next 24 hours. Yesterday I ran 2 miles on the track for the first time pain-free since this happened, plus was able to do a significant hill climb on the TM as well, and I did 5 more miles totals this morning, 2 uphill, 2 downhill and 2x800m on the track, and still pain free. So things are looking up. I would like to point out that the one seemingly helpful thing that I do for this injury is top apply a heating pad to it for 30 minutes each night at bedtime. The heat improves circulation and speeds healing, in my opinion. I'm a big believer in using heat on muscle or tendon injuries as I've had great success with it speeding up the healing on everything I've tried it on, but this is the first time on a stress fracture. 

Nice job Cecil

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Great, Rocken!

Thanks Steph!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

C-R

Pain free is good Cecil.

And rocken, you continue to amaze.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Pain free is good Cecil.

Embarrassed

Just cruzin' 3 min on / 3 min off. Felt really great out there.

And we run because we like it
                Through the broad bright land

kcam

Just cruzin' 3 min on / 3 min off. Felt really great out there.

Nice weather today in the Bay Area (especially after 90 on Monday and 85 on Tuesday), how was Sacramento?   Was cool and breezy for my lunchtime run so I did 5X800, 400 jog recovery and then 4X200, 100 jog recovery.  The 8's were at 5K pace, felt hard but in a good way.  Light enough on volume that it didn't really bang me up too bad.

Having been lucky enough to run with Rocken at the weekend, I totally and utterly agree.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

You know what feels great? Training on hills, every day, whether you want to or not. And then running somewhere flat.

Running in NYC this week made me feel five years younger or 15 pounds lighter. Or maybe both.

Solid workout Ken.. Its getting warm up here.. and (delta) breezy. I think if I run east/west and in residential areas I can avoid the wind... but the nearby park has a dirt path.. its a dilemma. I think I like the warmer temps for harder workouts. Seems easier to get the legs going.

Nice weather today in the Bay Area (especially after 90 on Monday and 85 on Tuesday), how was Sacramento?   Was cool and breezy for my lunchtime run so I did 5X800, 400 jog recovery and then 4X200, 100 jog recovery.  The 8's were at 5K pace, felt hard but in a good way.  Light enough on volume that it didn't really bang me up too bad.

And we run because we like it
                        Through the broad bright land

Prince of Fatness

Went the longest so far on the rower yesterday.  45 minutes.  I managed 9K and am feeling it just a little today so I am working.  Should be able to get over 20 miles on the thing this week.  For now I am just going by time and am averaging around 1K every 5 minutes.  I am going to keep building on this for a few more weeks then try some time trials just for fun.

One thing that I am noticing is that being fat is less of a hindrance to rowing than it is to running.

Not at it at all. 

Went the longest so far on the rower yesterday.  45 minutes.  I managed 9K and am feeling it just a little today so I am working.  Should be able to get over 20 miles on the thing this week.  For now I am just going by time and am averaging around 1K every 5 minutes.  I am going to keep building on this for a few more weeks then try some time trials just for fun.

One thing that I am noticing is that being fat is less of a hindrance to rowing than it is to running.

Great job Finn!!

Having been lucky enough to run with Rocken at the weekend, I totally and utterly agree.

I was the lucky one! Thanks Smile

Feeling the growl again

I did 8X800 on the treadmill and didn't break myself.  The treadmill is another story.

I still feel a burn deep in my right hip, like what ended up locking me up during the marathon attempt last week.  I've got no clue.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills