3650 Miles in the Hurtlocker

I'm going to hurt myself (Read 3386 times)

Hop - I spoke to my FIL (physician) about the leg length discrepancy and he said the vast majority of people have different length legs and it should not be the main cuase of the physical issues. Unless of course its say and inch or more.

Do you do any weight bearing exercise? Especially that which isolates one set of muscles. So for instance single leg presses or the sort. This would give you an idea of the weak side theory as far as say quads, calf and hams are concerned.

One thing to consider is that past injuries heal areas differently and can impact their performance. In my case a major calf injury on my left leg caused me some serious issues for many months until I finally determined a way to fix and strengthen the area. I now have to pay closer attention to it so as not to repeat injury or resulting post-healing action.

I guess this is realated to a recent injury? Sorry if I missed this part.

I know its not much help but then again I'm not much of a physician. Just a simple engineer.

BTW - nice of your husband to watch your running. I would bet he always follows you. Make sure to tell him to keep his focus on your gait. Wink

Thanks C-R.   It is helpful, and questions are good to get me thinking about it all. Interesting about the leg length, thanks for asking.  I think if I do have one it must be very minor, plus this is a new problem, and I'm assuming my legs haven't changed length in an uneven manner in the last couple of years (barring any weird pelvis kinks or something). 

I used to do a lot more weight-bearing exercise through climbing, just because with that you end up doing lots of squats and presses in order to climb.  However I don't do anything specific, and am not climbing very much at all right now (in fact haven't climbed since September, and haven't climbed much since 2010...I used to climb most weekends and one day in the week).    So yeah, I think I do need to do some weight-bearing exercises and actually train my body to know to use glutes, quads etc.  I've been told I have weak glutes before, and I also don't think I use them much when running.  Apparently I am also quite stiff in my upper body when I run (hardly any movement from the waist up). Working flexibilty, strength and I think learning to activate the muscles in my legs/glutes makes sense to me...and I do need to do it.  I've been finding recently that my right leg doesn't want to really move, it feels like I need to turn at my waist to get it to land right.

My right leg is the bad leg (at the moment), but the left one is the one that had the ligament ruptures.  The left leg is less flexible and is weaker than the right leg (even when the right leg is painful like it is now). I actually wonder if the issue is with the left leg and side of body in some ways, and my right has been trying to overcompensate to such an extent that the right is painful and sore (but the left is in need of strengthening, and it's own form of treatment)

No recent injuries really (well apart from the fact my leg hurts at the moment, so it's injured, but no obvious cause to it).  I had a fall on some stairs last year, and that set off sciatica...but that was in the left leg.  The right shoe was already showing uneven wear even before that though.

The pain itself is changeable.  There doesn't seem anything wrong with the leg in that the bone seems  fine to various hitting etc (and the bone doesn't actually hurt), no obvious swelling, no obvious muscle injuries (although the calf is a bit tight at the top, behind the knee) when people palpate the  sore bits...but the whole leg is basically messing around with back of  knee (to the extent I thought I had a popliteal or gastrocs  strain), front of knee (either lateral or medial, both often feel like there is a tightness/bruisedness there, not classic ITB style pain though), medial side calf, lateral side, ankle, ham, butt,  sometimes it feels like it locks mid stride (when my foot is off the  ground combined with  sharp sort of spasm in my calf) then kind of wobble drops its way to the ground in an awkward way...everything can feel irritated...but mainly around the calf...I  feel like I want to uncruch my leg and rip it into something that  moves freely...it feels tight and weak but actually it moves when  someone else moves it for me and it's stronger than my other leg, and sometimes I get those classic shooting pains down the leg when I start weighting it, other times it's a more continuous pain, sometimes a dull ache in the back and butt, other times I can have a really tight calf that sends buzzes down my leg, and makes my cankle feel tight and buzzy.   MTA: Something I've also noticed for a while is that after some runs I really struggle to get my right leg to allow me to do calf stretches...I do stretch after a run and the gastrocs stretch where you have the straight back leg is often a bit hard, but the one with the bent back leg (for the soleus?) is often really hard and I can't flex at the ankle at all (plus it feels buzzy, clicky and just strange...sometimes with pain down the medial side of the calf too)

Heh, he does tend to run behind me as it is...I'll be sure to ask him to focus on the feet.  Although he's not running much right now and probably won't go out with me tomorrow, so maybe I'll approach an unsuspecting person and get them to tell me!

Argh.  I'm meant to be running 30 miles on the 18th...it's taking a lot of focus and concentration to run 6 miles at the moment (the most I've run all week), and I really think it will be impossible to run 30 with this level of weirdness and pain.  I don't like the word pain, but I think it now is pain (it makes me wince and my heart feels like it is missing a beat when some of it hits)...I did think I had a good pain threshold too.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

C-R

I see. It's not unusual for the non-injured leg to also get a knock based on trying to subconsciously protect the injured limb. It doesn't usually seem to happen right away but rarther over time and creates a bad habit or ingrained error. At least that was my personal experience. I had to actually focus on first fixing the root cause of the injury and then actually on proper running technique as it were.

I don't have much advice medically and frankly I would be frightened to take any of this advice if I were to give it. I do however swear by trigger point therapy (self). There is a great book on self trigger point therapy. I can't find it right now but it is on Amazon. I used it to fix my calf/achilles and it also took care of the opposing leg knee issue.

Good luck on finding the solution. Being injured just plain stinks.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Feeling the growl again

I see. It's not unusual for the non-injured leg to also get a knock based on trying to subconsciously protect the injured limb. It doesn't usually seem to happen right away but rarther over time and creates a bad habit or ingrained error. At least that was my personal experience. I had to actually focus on first fixing the root cause of the injury and then actually on proper running technique as it were.

I don't have much advice medically and frankly I would be frightened to take any of this advice if I were to give it. I do however swear by trigger point therapy (self). There is a great book on self trigger point therapy. I can't find it right now but it is on Amazon. I used it to fix my calf/achilles and it also took care of the opposing leg knee issue.

Good luck on finding the solution. Being injured just plain stinks.

+1.  Compensation injuries are a real bitch.  By definition, you can look for a root cause all you want but there won't be one to be found.

No advice either, other than to focus on recovery and not all that whiskey you have in the house...you need to keep it until you can get it shipped off to me.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

I do however swear by trigger point therapy (self).

+1 to trigger point / self massage.

Heal up quick Hoppity

Thanks for the healing wishes. 

Yup, I keep meaning to try trigger point stuff.   I do some self massage (yeah, yeah, guffaw)....mainly on calves and ITB, but also piriformis and any other tight points, however trigger point seems a bit more "intelligent" than simply trying to roll or ease out the bits that feel knotted or tight.

It's definitely frustrating not knowing what is wrong, and I think you could all be right with it being a compensation injury and therefore not something I can directly treat.  I guess both the right and left need to be looked at both individually and in relation to each other.  I do feel I need to use the left more, but I really need to stop the pain in the right.  I will focus on getting better though, miles will take a backseat (although they are because they are too painful right now), and I'll work on strength, flexibility and recovery.  Still not sure what to do about the 30.  I really want to run it (mainly because of the side purpose of raising money for Sands), but I guess I can delay (even if that makes me feel like a failure).

Today's run brought less overall pain, but a tight, clicky right ankle that has only now let me rotate it fully.

Ah, we had a dusting of snow.  No husband to run with, but I looked at my prints at the end of my very slow run, and feet point outwards a bit (bad form I guess, tight and weak glutes seems to be what I've read in the past to cause that, I assume others have more forward-facing prints...I wouldn't want to show sports jester that's for sure).  I have some pics, I guess I could upload...but it was such a slow run that my foot spacing probably looks like I was walking.  I don't know how similar my running in snow is to that on normal hard ground, I'd think spacing between footfalls is closer, but it's unlikely my feet turn that differently.

Sod it.  Pics.

"Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.  Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.  Just walk beside me and be my friend."

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

Oh Hop!   I do hope that your better soon.

Do your feet point out when you walk?  If so, I think that it would be normal to do so when you run.

My husband and daughter are both duck footed when walking and both run that way also.

I on the other hand am somewhat pigeon  toed while walking and the same if not more so while running.  Always have been.

I have to add that when my left knee / leg problem was at it's worst my left foot turned in much more than the right.

And now that it is somewhat better it matches my right one.  But as I said in the swamp my left shoe still wears off

much sooner than the right way on the out side edge.

steph  

+n to compensation injuries being a PITA (sometimes literally!).

To my eye, your left foot looks slightly more outward-angled than your right.  Which isn't itself cause for great alarm -- none of us are perfectly bilaterally symmetric, so we're bound to have discrepancies if we look hard enough.  Might that account for the different wear patterns on your shoes?  Dunno if your feet always landed like that, or if it's "drifted" in the more recent past.

What's with the clicky ankle?  I've gotten that from time to time, and I chalked it up to it having tightened up from a recent tweak/twist.

Last, on trigger point stuff: I got the Trigger Point Therapy kit for my Achilles injury last year, and I heartily recommend it (the kit, not an Achilles injury).  A year later, I'm still fairly diligent about doing the lower-leg/soleus routine.  They have them at Running Warehouse, and you can use the Facebook code to get 15% off their already-discounted price.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

No idea on the clicky ankle...that's what is so weird about all of this...the symptoms keep on changing (I've had a buzzy ankle before, with buzz going from there to/from the outer or inner calf...that is apparently related to the sciatic nerve).  I  a lot is a nerve issue played up with the weak glutes, tight hams, tilty pelvis/SI and whatever else is going on.   I'd normally attribute it to a tweak, but I really can't think of anything.  I guess something is getting trapped somewhere.  Argh.  It's stopped doing it now. I wonder what tomorrow's run will bring, and what will be playing up on the walk to and from work.

I thought my feet were more forward-facing as I run, but I don't remember if the left was more outward facing than the right.  I'm not sure how I walk...I don't walk like a duck, but maybe my feet to turn out a bit...I'll pay attention next time I'm doing more than walking around the house (which will be on the way to work tomorrow).  Interesting about the change in foot turniness with your knee injury TeaOlive.  I don't know if the turning out would account for the wear patterns...at the moment the left hardly looks like I land on it (or toe off)...and the right has a lot of wear on the forefoot as shown in the pics.  I guess the turning out could be a symptom of something that is causing the wear patterns though. 

I also don't know how the running style in snow will be differing from that on a normal surface.  I don't think snow would make my feet turn differently though, but maybe it can.

Trigger point therapy, I really must get reading and acting on it. 

I go back to the osteo on Tuesday (and they are going to run with me for a bit to see my gait in action) and also give me some exercises as well as work on the soft tissue as well as my back etc...I really hope that leads to some positive progress.

Trigger Point Performance Technology website

TP products at RW (I have the Hip & Lower Back kit)

ThunderV2 recommended it highly, too.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Feeling the growl again

Well I guess I hurt myself.  Gradual increase in lethargic feeling, sleepy and lack of recovery.  I should know after all these years that I must be diligent about taking iron when training hard, but with all going on I forgot more than I remembered. 

I'll be compliant now, but it'll probably take a few weeks to get to feeling like I was.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Sad

Rest up.  You had a very recent monster month; the benefit will not be soon lost.  

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Rest up Spaniel! Hope you are feeling back the way you were  ASAP!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Wish I had some advice to offer Sarah Sad Just hope your leg heals up ASAP!!! Looking forward to running 30 "with you" 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Slo

I took a bad spill on my morning bike commute. Hit some black ice...went down hard.

My left arm is pretty much useless. Can not get my elbow away from my side. No strength, shards of pain. My fear is that I tore my rotator cuff.

Ride home was pretty miserable. Did a 10 mile run...no arm swing.

Just finished a Fat Tire 1554...popped the top on an Old Thumper...Ice on the shoulder. No advil in the house.

I took a bad spill on my morning bike commute. Hit some black ice...went down hard.

My left arm is pretty much useless. Can not get my elbow away from my side. No strength, shards of pain. My fear is that I tore my rotator cuff.

Ride home was pretty miserable. Did a 10 mile run...no arm swing.

Just finished a Fat Tire 1554...popped the top on an Old Thumper...Ice on the shoulder. No advil in the house.

OMG I sooooooo hope it's not a rotator cuff injury those SUCK ASS!!!! Rest up and hope it's not as bad as you think!